Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debhill

Hi Everyone,

I am not sure how to do this? I need help as I can't decide on which valve and my surgery is 08/18/09. I am a 55 yrs old 4 yrs ago I had double bypass I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. I am having symtoms of shortness of breath, chest, back, arm, and jaw pain. They thought I had a atery blocked but went into the leg and found it is the valve. I know if mechanical you are on blood thinner for the rest of your life but last forever. If tissue only last about 10 yrs. I have the issue of blood spots on my arms from thinning skin and this worries me alot. I started doing this before I had any issues that I was aware of was on no med to cause this. My mom died of losing blood somewhere in her body never found out where. I know I am not her but....I also know this is my second opening and don't like the idea of a third....I just don't know what to do???? I have to say I never would have thought there was so many young ones such bravery I admire you all so much!!! I mean when I got on I thought I would find mostly older folks like myself. I do admire you all and may God bess you all. Thank You debhill

Welcome Deb,

Deep breath.;) The important thing is to talk to your surgeon about the bleeding concern. What you have experienced and what your mom experienced may not have anything to do with the effects of coumadin. I would rule that out before deciding on a valve type.

That being said, with your history and age, I would be very inclined to go mechanical especially if you are trying to avoid another surgery down the road. There are two very good valves among the ones most used right now - the St. Jude and the On-X. I am sure you will be getting tons of information from others on these so I will not go into it. I have a St. Jude (15 years and counting) and am very happy with it. It replaced a recalled valve that I had implanted in 1980 and had nothing but problems with that one. I suppose that is why I am partial to the St. Jude - it made my life much better.

There are no wrong choices if they keep you alive. There are many options and, if you have the time, collect all information, talk to your doctors and you will be okay.

Hi and welcome Deb.
What is the surgeon recommending, or is he/she recommending?
There really aren't wrong choices, other than the one that would have you choose not to go through with the replacement. If you look through the threads in valve selection, it might help clarify some issues.
In the meantime, glad you're here, but wish it were under better circumstances.

Hi Deb and welcome : being on anti-coagulants is not as most people fear; however, in your case, I would check out what your problem is. Most people on here return to regular active lives after valve replacement.

Whatever you decide, it is the best choice for you; as geebee says, the worst thing you can do is nothing!

Take care, and feel free to post any of your other concerns, or even just vents, I am sure you will have some

Hi Deb,

I am presently 62, and had a similar experience, a triple bypass in 2004 and an AVR in 2007.

I went with the On-X, joined the FDA study, and was picked to be in the Plavix / baby aspirin group.

Just passed my second anniversary with no problems.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hello there, Deb. Welcome to VR. you have found a good place to express your concerns and get real feedback from those who have been there as you have and will be. I have had bypass, not valve replacement so have no info for you. Just wanted to welcome you to the site. Blessins.........

Hi there Deb and Welcome.

I would like to clarify one thing....your not old and we're all young at heart, including you.

I too feel that you should have a sit down with your doctor with all your questions and concerns.

We can help you with some questions and answers, so don't be shy to ask.

Welcome to the zoo:D..... valve choice is a personal thing that we can give “our” experiences on but you need to rely heavily on your doctor and surgeon recommendations .... best of luck:)

Welcome, Deb, from one of the older folks! It looks like you already know what the surgery is like. Will you have your valve replacement at the same hospital?
Be sure to read all the stickies at the top of each forum. They're a good starting place.
Best wishes,
Debby

I mean when I got on I thought I would find mostly older folks like myself. I do admire you all and may God bess you all. Thank You debhill

Hey wait a minute - watch who you are calling old! We are the same age. :):cool: I am with you on the fact that there are so many amazing people younger than ourselves on this forum that have been through hell and back and keep on keeping on - with whatever valve they chose or ended up with (sometiems there is no choice) In any case, I have read little of anyone regretting whatever decision they made. f you are really having that hard of a time of it -then as others have said - put your trust in your docs and let them decide what is best for your given situation.. It is a whole, whole lot to think about and agonize over isn't it.

I haven't decided for sure either on a valve type, but my gut is leadng me a certain direction and I believe in following my gut. Best of luck to you.

I had my first OHS and four years later, Mitral Valve Replacement. I am just a bit older than you and chose tissue valve. All my doctors expect a very good chance it can last me 15-20 years. I am so happy I chose tissue but as others have said, there is no wrong choice except to not go forward with the surgery.

Very happy you found us and hope we can help you.
VR.com helped me so much going through my second OHS in such a short time. So much information and such caring, helpful people here.

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum Deb & to let you know that we're all here to help you get thru this very stressful & tough time. Keep in mind one thing though, we've all been exactly where you're at right now & we know what you are experiencing, the questions, the doubts, the fears.....all normal & all so real!

Ask questions & do your research on both mechanical & tissue valves & then go with what your gut and/or what your drs. are recommending is best for you.

I hope that you find comfort in reading the different threads here & hopefully help ease some of the fears you have.

Good luck to you! :)

Hello and welcome from another Deb,glad your here to learn
from the best experienced and like i say we all have sailed the
same ship one way or another thats what counts.
We have each other to lean on and that really matters...again WELCOME:)

You are all so wonderful to respond so quickly, I really appreciate it. I still haven't made up my mind between mechanic or tissue. Its just such a hard discission to make. I'am sure all are great just which one for me???

Thanks Again,
Deb

For Mechanical Valves, I am a Big Believer in the Technological Advances offered by the On-X Valves. See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com Also do a Search (on VR.com - see the blue line above - for keyword "Bokros" to learn more about the designer of ALL of the BiLeaflet Valves currently sold in the USA)

At age 55 with possible bleeding issues, the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valve is another interesting option. It has the longest track record for durability (approaching 90% Freedom from Explant at 20 years) when implanted in patients over age 60 (so you are close / in the 'gray zone'). The latest versions of these valves have an 'anticalcification coating' that is hoped to extend that lifetime another few years.

As Gina suggested, you should have a long discussion with your surgeon about your concern over bleeding issues and being on Coumadin / Warfarin.

IMO, Either of the above Valves are Good Choices and good arguments can be made for BOTH, especially given your 'special circumstances'.

Since this will be your Second OHS, it would be wise to choose a Surgeon with LOTS of experience doing re-do's at a Major Heart Hospital.

The Surgeons at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta are all familiar with the On-X Valves. Their Hospital is the sponsor of a NO / Low AntiCoagulation Study using OnX Valves under the direction of Dr. Puskas.

Dr. Wolfe at PeachTree Cardiovascular in Atlanta is another user of On-X Valves. Their group has several (12?) surgeons and operate at St. Joseph and another hospital. (See their website for more details)

'AL Capshaw'

Deb,
I don't have a suggestion on your valve choice but I wanted to let you know we have all been in your shoes. Even those of us who have a repair had to have a backup plan in case the repair didn't work out. It's a really tough decision that requires you to look at all of the information that's out there and apply it to your own situation.

Chris

Latest posts

Back