New Member And Overwhelmed - Need Advice

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's possible. You have to set it up with your surgeon or th Red Cross and unless things changed, it (The testing etc) usually isnt coverred under many insurances. The other reason, beside the fact you generally dont need blood and the blood today is very safe, I never have Justin donate his own blood, is depending on the timing, since it takes anywhere from 1 month-2 months for the bone marrow to replace all the Red Blood Cells (not vol of fluid, but the Red cells that carry the oxygen all over the body and determine if your anemic or need blood,) you lost by donating the unit, chances are you will be going into surgery with a lower blood count than if you didnt donate. So I personally believe it is better going into surgery, with a high a Red Count as possible, so even tho you lose some blood during surgery, you probably won't get to the point you need a transfusion.

Thank you, this is very reassureing information.

Good luck with it all :)
Love Sarah xxxxx

Thank you Sarah :) xoxo

I needed blood my first OHS and even knowing that, I didn't see any need to donate in advance of my seconed OHS. It didn't overly concern me.

What worried me the most being in any hospital is getting infection.
Sadly hospital acquired infection happens and that is a worry.

Thanks for the reply.

The need for blood during surgery was one of the first questions about which I asked my surgeon. He said it is rare to need a transfusion. I went ahead and contacted the Red Cross and stored one unit of blood just in case. During surgery, my actual blood loss was measured at about 4 ounces which is not at all what I expected. I sent the blood back to the blood bank for general use. Dr Spann said my experience of only loosing half a cup or so is common today because the techniques used today in open heart surgery are far better than they have ever been before. So, Robin, you can call the Red Cross and arrange to have a unit of your blood standing by but it is unlikely that you will need it unless you have some individual issue.

Larry

I will discuss this with my surgeon. I think I may have found a great one. He performed a valve replacement on our governer over 10 years ago.

I'm 8 weeks post op, but do not walk my dog on a lead yet, even though he only weighs 11 kg. If he saw a cat or a squirrel, he would jerk on the lead with quite a force. I do walk with my husband holding the lead though, and it's great rehab. We tend to do about an hour a day in my local park, although I do avoid the hills with the steepest gradients.

That makes sense, I am not going to push it. This boy is way to strong to take any chances. He doesn't pull generally but if he sees a dog or wants to play - look out.

The good news is that today I found a new cardiologist who I think is brilliant. While is office is at Cedars he helps his patients select surgeons (from varied facilities) who best fit their needs and profile. He has referred me to a surgeon at Keck-USC that he feels is a super star in the field. Hopefully I will meet the surgeon early next week.

I don't know if I will have time. My new cardiologist and internist, Dr. Ram Dandillaya agreed with the first diagnosis of severe aortic stenosis. He says I should be scheduled ASAP no later than 2 weeks. I don't know how long it takes to rebuild the blood.

Yeah I'm not too sure either, I'm about 3 weeks away from my surgery so it may not be in time either, but it appears that it's not really needed anyways.

If you need surgery right away, its because it is urgent and there's no time to wait. If its not life threatening then you would have an elective surgery. Having an elective surgery you choose the date. I had elective surgery an I was a nervous wreck, and I hated the thought of waiting and waiting it built more suspense. In an emergency, the only con I would think of, you are least prepared and your feelings about it may be unresolved ed. The pro for it is you get it out the way. Your doctors will be prepared if you need a blood transfusion. In my case I lost a lot of blood, and I could have used one, but my surgeon decided for me not to have a transfusion, he wanted me to build up my own blood. And I did, slowly but surely but I did. And Im happy he made that decision not to give me a transfusion since I was able to build mine back up. I hope everything goes well with you. You will be fine.

I gave blood ahead of time for use in my surgery -- it was ordered by my surgeon's office and done by the Red Cross. My insurance covered it, though I had to pay for it out of pocket and get it reimbursed. As far as using it, I recall talking to the anthesiologist the morning of the surgery and, upon telling him I had two units of my blood ready for use he told me 'that's great, I usually am very prudent about using other blood as people are concenrded about that. With you having some of your own, I can use it as needed. That's much easier'.

Dan

Robin - welcome to the board. You'll find many caring people here who are/have been in the same boat you are.

You are entitled to a 2nd opinion. If you want one - get it! But remember, you don't have to 'like' the Dr doing the surgery, you just have to trust him/her. Many times, other doctors will be following your care after the surgery.

I just had a transfusion last week (pre-surgery) due to a AVM. (apparently it caused quite a stir in the GI lab) ANYWAY - the number of double-checks they do prior to giving you the blood is mind boggling. My surgeon told me I didn't need to donate blood. In fact, at the moment, it wouldn't be a good idea. In any case, go with the recommendations. But.....ask questions. You are the best advocate of your own health.

Heart cath - easy-peasey procedure.

Keep asking your questions here. We're all here to help and support you.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back