New Job

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gnusgal

As soon as we knew we were planning to get pregnant DH and I discussed my work situation. I wanted very much to stay home for at least the first two years, but he was worried about $$. So we came to a compromise and decided I'd go to part time and work the days he doesn't (he only works 3 days a week, 12 hour shifts). It seemed perfect until my district did away with all part time positions. :( So we decided I would stay home and take substitute jobs on the days he is home, even though it wouldn't be as much money....

Then in April I ran into a former professor of mine and we talked about the possibility of me being a TA for one of her online classes. But when I emailed her she said she only had an on campus position available and to try back in June. I emailed her in June and never heard back. So I applied to become a sub in two local school districts.

Well, today I got a phone call from a number I didn't recognize... It was that professor! She asked if I'd gotten her email in response to mine (I didn't). I had not responded, so she looked me up in the alumni files and found my number. She needs an online TA for the Fall semester and offered the job to me!! So now I'll be able to work from home at hours that are convenient for me and DH!

I know it won't be easy, but I'm so excited to have a more regular paycheck and not have to sub every day DH is not. I may still do some subbing, depending on how things go, but now it's not as imperative if I don't. :D

Niki:

Sounds like a perfect situation!
My niece with the twins girls quit her TV news producer job -- her hubby travels a LOT and child care just wouldn't work out. She'd like to eventually get a job with a university later on. Her girls are growing up so fast -- they're 9 months old now!
My other niece has 2 children, ages 1 & 3, and she's an RN. She recently went back to work 1-2 days a week at an emergency care center in Plano, I think, owned by several MDs. She works on days her firefighter husband is off.

That sounds like a perfect solution. Although I'm not sure I would ever be able to stay home full-time (even when I'm 100!), I wish I had been able to work part-time. When my first was born my husband worked 7 on, 7 off and so my daughter only went to the sitter every other week. When my second was born, my husband had just gotten laid off during my pregnancy, we were behind on bills, and my job provided the insurance.

Niki, that's great!

I just completed 3 online courses (March thru June) so that I could reinstate my elementary teaching license and land a classroom teaching job (I have a very interesting possibility currently, hope they choose me!). There was a lot of writing to do, so I assume, on the other end (yours!), there will be a LOT of reading to do. But it was actually pretty darn fun taking those classes. We used the "Blackboard" system. The discussions that are required were oftentimes very entertaining and allowed "students" a glimpse into the minds of the other people in class. The teachers added to the "conversations" periodically and that was interesting, too.

I think you will enjoy this! What great good luck!

:D Marguerite

Congratulations on your new job. Things do have a way of working out. I just recently went back to work full-time after being off work for six years. It was quite an adjustment but I love it! I sincerely pray that everything works out for you!

Niki, that's great!

I just completed 3 online courses (March thru June) so that I could reinstate my elementary teaching license and land a classroom teaching job (I have a very interesting possibility currently, hope they choose me!). There was a lot of writing to do, so I assume, on the other end (yours!), there will be a LOT of reading to do. But it was actually pretty darn fun taking those classes. We used the "Blackboard" system. The discussions that are required were oftentimes very entertaining and allowed "students" a glimpse into the minds of the other people in class. The teachers added to the "conversations" periodically and that was interesting, too.

I think you will enjoy this! What great good luck!

:D Marguerite

Marguerite, I actually took all of my graduate courses online. And yes, it will be a lot of reading! There are 160 students in the class and I will be responsible for leading 2 groups (Not sure the size of the groups, but I think they were always around 10 people when I took the classes). That's fewer students than I had last year! LOL. Of course, I didn't have to give my 700 students grades as a librarian. ;)

I loved my online classes and look forward to being on the other side of things this time around. I'm hoping to eventually be able to help this prof with the storytelling classes. That would be awesome! But at least the one I'll be working in is my favorite of the 3 core classes required for all Information Science students. Information Access and Retrieval. In other words, how to find stuff! :D

Niki,

I'm late on this (as usual), but dang ... that sounds AWESOME. It certainly is a great opportunity ... CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"You take the good, you take the bad" ... Gloria Loring ... 'The Facts Of Life'

Late on this, too, Niki, but I am so glad things worked out for you. Let us know how it's going..............in your spare time..............I'm sure you have lots of it with twins and teaching college courses.....................haha! Love ya lots. The twins are adorable. Many hugs. Janet

We had face-to-face class on Sunday. I had to give a lecture to 160+ grad students. Just a tad intimidating, but I survived. The hardest part was being away from my babies all day (and half of Saturday when I helped set up for Sunday). I rushed home to them as fast as I could and showered them with kisses.

I'm so grateful that things worked out for this job. I still haven't heard anything about subbing and school started Monday! :eek I suppose I should make some calls about that, but I'm not all that concerned right now. Especially since Nathan threw his back out and hasn't been able to lift the kids for the past week (he recruited help while I was gone). I wouldn't feel comfortable taking jobs right now anyway.

Latest posts

Back