New Insurance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHerrin Hutt

Hi everyone
I just found out that as of 1-1-2010. I will have Humana Medicare PPD as both primary and sec. My cardio of 10 yrs are not in net work. I can't afford to go out of network. This really making me crazy! They have also raised our drugs too. off brand from 7.00 to 20.00 Name brand 13.00 to 50.00, this was a big shock too! The co-pay has went up too. This UAW is at it again. I didn't have any of theses problems till Mike retired. Every 6 months it gets worse. I was told my one of the local hospital to bring my own drugs to the hosp. because medicare won't pay if they don't admit you.

Have you thought of checking with Walgreen's, CVS, Walmart, Target, etc., for what generic Rxes you can get at much cheaper prices?

I don't go through my Aetna for Rxes unless it's a very pricey one and a one-time fill.

Sherrin:

Are you sure that you do not have a choice about Medicare plans? I was talking to the Medicare people recently about my concerns. (We both have the original medicare.) The Medicare people listed a number of plan types, and as far as I know the patient(s) have the right to choose the one they want.

Now, if you choose a plan that your doctor does not use, on our plan we can still deal with the doctor. What we do is pay the doctor and Medicare reinburses us some amount. Doctors can only charge 15% more than medicare covers, which the patient must pay. This works very well for Albert and for me.

Recently, we were both in the care of the Mayo Clinic for radiation therapy for cancer and for a breast biopsy. We had no problem with Medicare and the supplement.

I suggest that you look into your situation more closely. So many people think that because their doctor does not take Medicare that they can not go to that doctor.....not!!!Just costs a little bit more.

From our point of view, the little more that we must pay to the Mayo Clinic or to Albert's award winning doctor of 20 years is well worth it. Frankly, after going through months of problems in the last year, I can truly say.....I would mortgage the house to remain in the care of the Mayo Clinic and our internist.

I wish that Lisa was here for she could explain this in more detail than I can. However, if you believe that I might be of assistance, please contact me.

Blanche

P.S. Albert has been on Medicare for 10 years, and he has been hospitalized many, many times. And, he has also visited the emergency room more times than I can count on both hands. His meds were always covered by Medicare. To the best of my knowledge, your company can not dictate which medicare plan you choose. Now, the supplement might be a different story. We have original Medicare and Humana as the secondary. We have had no trouble with Medicare whatever. Humana would not be my first choice......or my 31st. choice.

Sherrin ~~ I don't think there is a Humana Medicare PPD plan..:confused:

The Humana Medicare plans are: PPO, HMO, PFFS and the special needs plan called SNP. If you could confirm for me exactly which plan you are on, I'll go from there and try to help you.

Hi everyone
I just found out that as of 1-1-2010. I will have Humana Medicare PPD as both primary and sec. .

Sounds like your husbands post retirement union coverage is switching to a "Medicare Advantage Plan". You live just accross the river from me. Call Anthem or Essence health plans to see which of their Advantage plans include your doc. You might even check with the local Humana office and find that they have a private (not union contract) plan that will include your doc. Many of these Advantage plans are available directly from insurers at -0- to very low premiums. You should be able to switch without having to worry if you do it before 1/1/10.

Humana PPO

Humana PPO

Thanks everyone for your input. I talked to the UAW union Rep. It was either this plan or plan BC/BS. Believe me you wouldn't want this plan. I am just mad about having to find another Cardiologist after 12 yrs. This really sucks big time!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Latest posts

Back