New Here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne-Marie

I just wanted to say a quick hello and a "thank-you" to whoever set up this site. I was diagnosed with moderate aortic stenosis Jan 2002. An ecg in December '02 showed that the stenosis hadn't changed. I had a dobutamine ecg the end of January '03 to rule out pseudo aortic stenosis as the December ecg showed that my left ventricular EF was 35%.

My cardiologist called the other day to tell me that he was setting up an appointment for an angiogram and he wants me to see a surgeon to talk about having a valve replacement. He said the most recent ecg shows severe aortic stenosis. I'm somewhat surprised since the ecg on December 9th showed a moderate stenosis and I was told it hadn't changed since I was diagnosed.

Briefly, about me, I'm a 40 year old female, married, mother of four. My doctors believe the radiation and chemotherapy I received for hodgkin's disease when I was a child may have caused my heart disease.

I'm researching at the moment, learning about heart valves and valve replacement. My research brought me here. Thank you!

Anne-Marie

Hi Anne-Marie

Welcome to this wonderful site. You'll love the support and friendship you find here. We all understand about this surgery and even more than that, there are so many different heart problems represented here, valves, and other stuff right along with it. You'll feel at home.

Sometimes it happens that things progress more rapidly than you can imagine, and that is the unhappy situation you find yourself in with your impending surgery.

We're here to help you cope with the pre-surgery phase, right up to the surgery and then when you get home, the post surgery phase. After that you'll be in a position to help other folks with their surgery.

If you do some reading on the site, you will find so much information. It's almost unbelieveable how much there is. It's good, solid, practical stuff from people who've been there before you.

My husband is the patient here. He's had 3 valve surgeries, a pacemaker and 2 lung surgeries. Plus he's had many, many other very serious things such as chronic afib, CHF and pulmonary hypertension to name a few. There are some rather complicated patients here, but the vast majority go through the surgery and have no further problems.

I hope you will use this site to its best advantage and come here often, asking any questions you might have along the way.

Wishing you the best.

Hello Anne-Marie

Welcome to a super place. I'm Evelyn and my husband and I have been members since about a year ago. My husband, Tyce, had AVR surgery this past June. Needless to say, this site was found by me around April and has been a godsend ever since.

We've known about Tyce's valve for a bit, but our cardio said...."another year or year and a half." I believe that was in January 2002.....In May he went into afib and in June had a mechanical valve implanted. So, as you can see, sometimes things don't always work out as the doctor orders.

Have that angiogram and a tee, if needed, as soon as possible. Consider all the valve options. We opted for a mechanical beause of the decreased likelihood of another surgery. Coumadin was not and continues to not be an issue for us.

You will find this site a wonderful place. It is probably the best and most caring group I know. Welcome to our family. Please post with any questions you may have. Look back through our past threads and you will find an encyclopedia of knowledge.

Best wishes. You have come to a great place.

Evelyn

Welcome Anne-Marie

Rest assured your situation is not unusual. Lots of people move from that "watchful waiting" stage to "time for surgery" in a faster manner than expected.

You're absolutely in the right place, and you will certainly find a lot of answers here.

I am also a Hodgkin's survivor, having been treated and apparently cured in 1980. The doctors gave me the same story, that the large doses of radiation led to the early aging of my valves. I had surgery and 2 valves replaced last year, at age 43. There is another regular participant here, Al Capshaw, who also is a Hodgkin's survivor. So you see, you are not alone.

Welcome aboard and let us know as you have questions.

Best wishes

A Big Welcome

A Big Welcome

You just hit the jackpot. This is like a family away from home. There isn't anything these wonderful people will do for you. All the information you will need. I was so lucky to find this web site.

It saved me from all so many things. Good Luck to you. Hope to see more of you here again. Sylvia G.:D :eek: :cool:

Thank you so much for the replies! I'm sure you've been in my position and realize how reassuring finding this forum and reading about all of you has been!

Evelyn and Nancy, you are so encouraging! I feel strong and positive just from reading here!

Johnny, I'm glad to meet another hodgkin's survivor! I had radiation in January of 1974 and I am grateful for the many years it had added to my life. In 1994 I had my thyroid removed and was diagnosed with papilary carcinoma. That was also thought to be radiation related.

Sylgeren, thank you, I do feel lucky to have found this place. Initially, my searched turned up a lot of factual information. What I really wanted was to read about people had "been there". You're right, "Jackpot!".

Another big welcome to Anne-Marie!

I am sorry to hear you are faced with the prospect of more medical procedures, given all you've been through already.

My own aortic stenosis had been stable for many years, then quite quickly seemed to deteriorate. The good news is that, 9 months after surgery, I am back to jogging, weight training, and doing pretty much whatever I want physically :)

Feel free to ask any questions you have. As you've noticed already, we have a wonderful community of knowledgeable and warm people here who've been through this before. We'll help you get through this!

Best regards,
John Cochran

Thank you for the welcome, John.

I'm actually getting excited at the prospect of having energy again! I've really slowed down the past few years but never realized that it was related to my heart. I blamed my thyroid levels, iron levels, then a weight gain due to low thyroid levels.

I'm encouraged by how active many of you are after your surgery!

Welcome Anne-Marie! Hope you get some useful info from here as I have. I've had 2 mitral valve surgeries the last being 8 weeks ago and receiving my new St Judes mechanical valve. I am on Coumadin (as well as 10 other drugs) and its not been a problem until I took 2 by mistake and paid the price (my fault).

You will be surprised how quickly after surgery you bounce back. I also now have a collapsed lung and may need to go into the hospital and have a chest tube put in so make sure you remember after surgery to breath,breath,breath and use your spirometer often!! I stopped usuing mine 3 weeks after surgery thinking my lungs were clear. That is not enough time! You need to use it and take deep cleansing breaths often to avoid that.

I was feeling so much better 2 weeks after surgery. You can count on all of us to help you get thru this difficult time. Please post often and let us know how you are feeling. Hope everything goes well for you!!!:) Hugs and more hugs sent your way my friend.

Alicia, I have tears in my eyes because of the kind and inviting responses I am getting here.

I well know the pain of not keeping up with the deep breathing exercises after surgery. I developed stasis pneumonia after a splenectomy years ago. Being young, I was sure that if it hurt, then not moving was the way to handle it. I found out the hard way that the only way to get through it was to get moving.

I'm more frightened of the anesthetics used than the pain of the surgery. I've had five surgeries in the past and I've been violently ill afterwards despite the use of anti-emetics. But I confess, the thought of pain is frightening me too.

It's comforting to know that you felt so much better so quickly. I hope your present problem can be resolved without a chest tube.

Thank you so much for the hugs, I'm sending more back to you!

Hey Anne-Marie (I love your name) - welcome to our home. It is a lovely place to be when you need information, experience from others and support. You will get all you want and need from all the fine folks in VR. We are always glad to welcome a new member, but sad, too - because you are here due to illness and that's always a bummer, isn't it. But like most everyone you will come through just fine and your climb to the mountain will be made easier because of this wonderful bunch of people who care about you. God bless:)

WELCOME ANNE-MARIE

WELCOME ANNE-MARIE

ANNE-MARIE WELCOME !

THIS HAS BECOME MY NEW HOME FOR VR INFO...AS IT WILL FOR YOU! EVERYONE IS SO HELPFUL AND FULL OF POSITIVE VIBES..AS WE'VE BEEN OR WILL SOON BE IN YOUR SITUATION....USE US...WE LOVE TO SHARE W/ OTHERS...

JAMES W
AVR W/ ROOT REPLACEMENT
ST ALS RMC BOISE-ID
DR FORBES-DR MARKS

Thank you Hensylee and James W!

I'm enjoying going through the forums and reading the posts. I feel almost "normal" knowing that so many people have been through this before!

Again, I appreciate the kindness here. Thanks!

WELCOME

WELCOME

Welcome Anne-Marie,

Good to see you found this site. I had an AV at Cleveland Clinic Nov 2000. I had an ecg in Sept of 99 and everything look ok. In Oct of 2000 I had an ecg because of shortness of breath and there was a dramatic difference. I had been tracking it for 6 years with little change and everything happend in 1 year. The angiogram should tell you a lot more as to weather you should need surgery. Good to see you are researching this will help a lot to ease your mind. Don't hesitate to ask questions of everyone on this site.

Fred

I'm new too

I'm new too

Hi Anne-marie.I'm new here too but what a great place they really make you feel at home don't they.Sorry to hear about all your problems and yes lets just hope and I'm sure there are answers to all the questions you might want to ask ...just speak out and someone will answer and have you looked into the chat on Sundays???All my best hugs Shana23:)

Anne-marie

Anne-marie

I'm sorry to hear that after all you've been through you might be facing yet another surgery.

Let me at least ease your mind about the anesthesia, I've also had terrible reaction to it, the last one after a 1 & 1/2 hr surgery, a hysterectomy, which went very well, but I spent 3 & 1/2 hour in recovery from, of course, the reaction to the anesthesia.

My husband and I mention this more than once in my pre-op consult, for my valve replacement, and Lo and Behold the reaction this time was no problem. They monitor the use of anesthesia all through-out the surgery, making adjustment as needed.

This site is great, I only found it post-surgery and it's been a lot of help to me.

Welcome, ask as many questions as you have, someone here will be able to answer.

Terry40

Last edited:
Thank you so much! You really know how to make someone feel welcome!

Shana, I haven't checked the chat yet, but will give it a try. I hope to catch you there!

Terry, I will definately mention my reaction to anesthetics to the surgeon. Thank you for the reassurance.

Fred, I was sure the doctor who viewed the last ecg must have made a mistake, it was a bit of a shock to hear the stenosis had gone from a 1 to a .6 in 6 weeks. I had pneumonia in December, can something like that have an effect on the stenosis? It was bacterial pneumonia and was started on antibiotics right away.

A-M

Hi and Welcome!

Hi and Welcome!

Hi Anne-Marie!

Welcome to one of the finest families on the web! We are so glad to have you here! Sorry to hear that you may be facing surgery sooner than you thought, but sometimes that's just the way it goes! The folks here at VR.com have been so great to me and my family. I've always felt comfortable asking any questions I may have had either before & after my surgery.
I read that you are the mother of 4....What are their ages, if you don't mind me asking? I have 3 kids (3, 6 & 11)....thus my username.... mommy3. And we're almost the same age....I'm 39!:) I'm sure that you may have some concerns about how your kids may react to "mom having surgery", espcially if they are young in age. My kids had to adjust to having a mom who was hardly ever sick to one who had a silent heart attack at 38 and surgery to repair my mitral valve and a bypass in a span of 6 months! :p They are my greatest cheerleaders and at times, my most supportive little "nurses".
The time leading up to the surgery is the hardest part...all the waiting can, at times, make you want to freak out!! Feel free to ask any questions you may have....no question is silly or worthless. And if you're scared, go ahead and say so...we have all been where you are right now! Read over the personal stories on the site....so many here have been such an inspiration to me.
Take care and keep us posted!

Julia:)

Hi Mommy3, thanks for the welcome!

Your kids sounds wonderful. I am so grateful for mine, they are fantastic. They're 9,10,12, and 19. I've only told my 19 year old about the surgery so far. When I have a definate date I'll tell the younger ones. I'm confident that I will also be fortunate enough to have a little cheerleading section in my corner too!

I do have a lot of little questions on my mind. I've been looking around to see if they've already been covered. I'm so glad to have found this site.

A-M

hi anne-marie!
welcome to this wonderful site. as you can see, it doesn't take these folks long to come forward and welcome newbies with open arms.
i don't think i could have survived my husband's surgery without their support. everyone here is amazing, just like family.
i, too, am sorry you have to go through all this, especially after what you've already been through.
we are all here to hold your hand through it. please keep coming back and ask any questions you may think of.
glad to have you among us.
be well, sylvia

Latest posts

Back