new here...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tereasa

Hi to all of you..I have been going over all the past posts and have gained alot of info after finding this forum by chance..I have a few questions if anyone would be interested in trying to answer them.I am concerned about m condition and my cardio doc seems to just blow it all off.I have mod.severe aortic regurgitaion and mod.mitral reg.along with trace tricuspid and pulmonary regurgitation.This was found back in 1999.I have symptons that include chest pains,shortness of breathe and cough alot.My left atrium is enlarged at 4.3 cm.Does that number mean that my heart is beginning to enlarge?I know normal is 4.0.Everything I have read suggests that surgery should be done before the heart enlarges...nothing has ever been said to me about surgery and am worried that waiting too long may not be good for me.LVIDd is 5.6 and normal is 3.5-5.6 so does anyone know what that means?Sorry to ramble on here but am just concerned as to whether I should approach my doc about surgery or if all this is okay for now???Thanks a bunch!!Want to believe it is all okay but if surgery is better now and I can have repair rather then replacement that would be my choice...

Hi Tereasa, Welcome

Hi Tereasa, Welcome

You've found a wonderful website with so much info. If you've been peeking in on it, you know what I mean.

If you aren't satisfied with the attitude or answers from your cardiologist, perhaps you should consider a second opinion. I'm not sure what all the measurements mean, but others can probably shed some light. I DO know though from my husband's experiences, that symptoms can mean a great deal. His test results were mild to moderate, but his symptoms were severe and life-threatening, prior to his last valve surgery. He's had 3 of these surgeries.

I wish you the best and hope to see you often here.

Hi Tereasa - Welcome to the site. I'm afraid I never paid much attention to the numbers, so I won't be much help. I would tell you that you are smart for paying attention to your own condition. Your shortness of breath is a common symptom of valve problems and chest pains can't be good. Anyway, you should get a second opinion, both to get the correct answers from a professional and to regain confidence in your primary cardiologist. I am not familiar with Colorado, but I know someone can tell you where the best heart hospitals are. Good luck and keep posting questions. People on this site are helpful and good people.

Hi Tereasa - happy to meet you. Any dr who blows you off should get sent to file 13 and a new one consulted. If you are having these symptoms they need to be explored, even if it isn't your heart. And you need someone who will take you seriously. We are the ones who know our bodies best and if we have a dr who just doesn't hear us, that makes us feel less than important and our symptoms could be very important. And you are a very important person. God bless:)

If I were you, I'd get my fanny to another cardiologist.

My husband recently had double valve replacement. His old cardiologist told him that he "would know" when it was time to get the valves repaired. Well, he didn;t. Not until he had fluid in his lungs, angina, feet double the size, acid refulx, shortness of breath, dizziness, etc. etc. etc. He was misdianosed three times. The Dr. said he had pneumonia. Yeah, sure.

He has had his surgery, retains fluid, is short of breath, is in CHF, and has a-fib. I wonder if these stymptoms would still be there if he had had the surgery a year ago....prior to a-fib.

So, please get another opinion.

Marybeth

Thank you all for your advice on this..it confirms what I feel and encourages me to seek another opinion on this matter.Like you said MaryBeth about your husband and his doc and that is not where I want to be with waiting too long and trying to guess what if something had been done sooner...I have an insurance where I don't have to go thry that referral process and was wondering if going to a doctor who specializes in valves would be better for me but I have no idea what kind of doctor that would be...a surgeon of some kind or what?Any suggestions on that?

It's so crazy and makes me so upset to be blown off like this when this is a matter of quality of life for the rest of my life..what is wrong with some of these doctors anyway?

Ya all have a good day and thanks for caring!!

Tereasa

Finding the Best Hospitals and Surgeons.

Finding the Best Hospitals and Surgeons.

Hi Tereasa,

Thought I Would share some info with you that will help you select the best hosiptals and the best surgeons.

To look at the best hospitals by region and specialty you can go to the following site.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/nycu/health/hosptl/tophosp.htm

Here are some tips for selecting a surgeon.

Search for a list of leading physicians in the specialty and geographic area
you specify. Includes detailed profile information, maps and driving
directions for more than 550,000 physicians.
___
Best Doctors
http://www.bestdoctors.com
Information When It Matters Most

Insider Tips for Finding a Good Surgeon

One of the most important decisions you will make in life is choosing a surgeon to operate on you. However, most people know more about the quality of work done by their car mechanic than the quality of work done by their surgeon. And that is truly a scary thing. Unfortunately, there are many bad surgeons out there who are perfectly willing to do an operation on you without having the proper skills, training, and experience.

The picture is not totally hopeless, though. There are plenty of surgeons who have great results and excellent reputations, especially with other surgeons. Make no mistake, every surgeon knows who they would send their loved ones to if they needed an operation and, also, who they wouldn't send their dog to.

So how do you find out who these surgeons are that other surgeons go to when they need an operation? Read on to learn the steps that you can use to find a really good surgeon, even if you are new in town and don't know anybody you can trust to give you good information. I use these tricks myself when I need to find a surgeon for family members who live out of town.

1. Find the True Insiders

Who has the best insider information on who is a good surgeon and who is a bad surgeon? It's not the nurses in the hospital or doctors' offices or the town magazine that publishes the yearly good doctor list or the primary care doctor who is sending you to a surgeon in the first place. It is the surgical residents that work in hospitals. These are young doctors that have graduated from medical school and are doing five to seven years of intensive learning (up to one hundred hours per week) in one area of surgery before going out on their own to open practices. They spend most of their work hours assisting the more senior surgeons in performing surgery and taking care of the patients in the hospital during the night hours.

2. Make Contact with an Insider

This step calls for some boldness. Call the main telephone number of all the hospitals in your area where you might have surgery between 8 p.m and 9 p.m. on a weeknight. This is after the supper hour, but way before the residents turn in for the night. Ask the page operator for the name of the resident that is on call that night who is responsible for the patients who have had surgery similar to your upcoming procedure. Then ask the operator to page that resident to an outside phone line and stay on the line until the resident picks up his phone call.

3. Ask for Help

This calls for even more boldness. Take a deep breath and say the following, "Hello, Doctor So-and-so, I am new in town and I need surgery and don't know any good doctors. I'm wondering if you could help me? This conversation is strictly off the record. Who would you send your mother to if she needed surgery?" Doctors are naturally helpful and this will allow the resident to give you the name of the best surgeon in their own mind, without getting themselves into trouble for passing judgment on their superiors. Every doctor, no matter how junior, has the right to say who their choice of surgeon is for their mother without fear of getting in trouble for being "too uppity." Do not ask, "Is Doctor Blank a good doctor?" Or, "Who are the good surgeons?" as the resident will probably being afraid of his answer getting back to the wrong person and likely will not help you.

4. Prepare for Rejection

If the surgical resident you reach does not seem willing to help you or seems hassled and rushed, don't push. Apologize for interrupting him or her and say good night. You really want to talk with somebody who will take a minute and think over your request and not just blurt out some name to get rid of you. Remember, getting the name of a bad surgeon is worse then getting no name at all.

5. Prepare for Success

If, however, the resident seems friendly and open to talking to you and gives you his recommendation, tell him you really appreciate it. Then say again that your conversation is off the record and ask him for his second choice of surgeon. If he gives it to you, you have hit the jackpot. Make sure before you hang up that you have written down the correct spelling of the surgeon's name so you can call the hospital operator back later and get that surgeon's office phone number. Do not risk irritating the resident who has just helped you (and spoiling it for the next person using this strategy) by asking the resident to look up phone numbers for you.

6. Do it Again

Make calls on consecutive nights to each hospital you are considering having your surgery at. This will allow you to develop a list of good surgeons and will usually let you avoid getting a resident you have already talked to. If two or more residents give the same name to you as being good enough for their mother, you have hit the double jackpot. Although even the best surgeons have some bad results, it is a good bet that your chances for a good outcome with a surgeon recommended several times by the residents will be greatly increased and you will be in the best possible hands.

Sorry about the length of this, hope you find some useful info here.

Rob

Teresa

Teresa

I agree with everyone with one additional notation. Be sure to feel comfortable with the doctor when you find another one. It is very important that the doctor cares enough to answer you questions and makes you feel comfortable. Good luck and best wishes on your search. It won't be easy but hang in there.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's Valve

Welcome Tereasa

Welcome Tereasa

Tereasa,

Welcome to our site. I created this site for people just like yourself. In the almost two years since this site was born, we have seen a gathering of great and experienced minds. People with experience dealing with the exact things that you are facing right now. You have just seen responses from a small number of the people I speak of.

Please continue to share with us your concerns and experience the strength that we all derive from helping and looking out for each other.

Latest posts

Back