New here, kind of.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamanordy

I was a member here many years ago. I had so much going on and I just didnt stay up on posting.
To make a long story as short as I can, I have a 5.0 ascending thoracic aortic aneurysm with a leaky Bicupsid Aortic Valve. I have known about these disorders since 2002(!) and have had sooo many excuses not to have the operation done; son getting married, son and daughter in law having baby, no insurance, etc.
But now it is time. My new cardiologist/EP dr said it is time. I saw a cardiothoracic surgeon and the surgery is to be this month. I dont have a definite date set yet, because next week I am having a "pre-op" angiogram, then probably the following week is the surgery. I am having the Button Bentall Procedure, and getting a mechanical heart valve.

I am 53 yrs old, in generally good health except for the anny and the valve, so I am hoping that this surgery will make me feel better.

I do also have a pacemaker which I got for high degree AV block, back in 2003. My arrythmia problems are intermittent and have gotten used to those.

It is good to finally be back here. I know that with the coming weeks, I am going to need you wonderful folks to talk me through this. :)

Debbi

Hi Debbi,

Wishing you a 'warm welcome' back to this wonderful forum. It sounds like you have everything lined up except a date. We will be rooting for you and keep us posted.

Welcome back Debbi !

If I were having what you are scheduled to have, I would want to know How Much Experience this Surgeon has doing Surgery of the Aorta and if he knows how to Recognize and Treat Connective Tissue Disorders which often accompany BAV and are the root cause of Ascending Aortic Aneurisms. If it is less than 10 per year, I think I would be looking elsewhere.

You didn't say where you are having your surgery, but I assume you know that the Cleveland Clinic is the #1 Rated Heart Hospital in the nation and of course is right there in your home state. They have MANY Highly Rated Heart Surgeons with Vast Experience doing the most complex Heart Surgeries.

'AL Capshaw'

Oh, Debbi, you've been such a bad girl, knowing about your problems since 2002? I wouldn't have my MV repair for 2 weeks after they wanted to schedule me at the Cleveland Clinic and the cardio really chewed me out! I too said I wouldn't have it done until after I saw my son get married. You just can't rush these mothers along!

Well, we're happy you're now getting the show on the road. Let us know when you get your D-Day so we can support you in prayer.

Better hide from Ross! He's not happy with these 5.0 aneurysms!

Debbi, did you use the same 'name' then. I am trying to recall the one you are using now and having a little trouble. course it could be my age! welcome back to VR. this is where you need to be for awhile to get you back on track with getting through this and here we still are - waiting for you! Hope you can settle down and go slowly as your date advances. Blessins......

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I am having my surgery at The Christ Hospital in Cincinnati. My surgeon, Dr. Steven Park is an excellent cardiothoracic surgeon experienced in aortic root aneurysms and also BAV. His residency was done at the University of Iowa College of Med and also the Gerald McGinnis Cardiovascular Institute at Allegheny Gen Hospital's Thoracic Surgery Residency Programhttp://www.pittsburghheartcare.com/education/tsrp/index.html

I have every confidence in him for my surgery.

Ann, I do think that I used the same user name but cannot be sure. ...

Latest posts

Back