New Crisis For My Family

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry about what it says the "minimum amount" they will accept is. That's a bluff: it's accounts receivable marketing, intended to bully you into paying money you don't have. If they're telling you that on the phone, they are actually reading it from a script. If they actually won't cash a check for less, start a savings account and put in all the money from the checks that they won't cash. If anyone asks you - there it is, still waiting for them. You tried.

Pay what you can ($10?) without risking oxygen, food, or home. And don't worry about what credit you may have. Catastophic medical bills are often overlooked by potential creditors.

Ohio should help you out more with this. Shame on them.

Take care of oxygen, food, home, heat, transportation, then hospital. They can't take your house or car, and there's little else they can attach, even if they felt it was worth their while. The phone calls, which can become illegal harassment very easily, are intended to push those who won't pay to ante up. Those who can't pay, just can't.

It is of no value to them if you become homeless. If you were to sell everything to pay them and go to the street, and you still owed them $50, they would still come after you just as hard for that $50. It's not a human thing. Stop beating your breast about showing them that you are honest. Everyone who cares and who matters already knows that. Take care of your family.

Family first, else what was the point of the surgery at all?

Very best wishes,

Ross,
I have been really busy and not checking in a lot lately.
First let me say I'm glad Lyn is doing better and on her way home.
Second I ditto what the others have said about the financial situation.
First things first and that is the health and well being of you, Lyn and your family.

Ross said:
401K? Pension Money?
rotfl.gif
Now that's a good one!
This is my way of saying that we are so very on the fringe of poverty that any closer and YES, WE WOULD BE ELIGIBILE for some help.

iviewcapture_date_31_05_2005_time_11_57_16.jpg

To be eligible for HCAP program, you must be at 100% poverty level. We fall at about 175%, so no cookies for us! If they didn't count my disability toward total family income, we'd still miss it by $436.

Ross and Lyn

Ross and Lyn

Hi

I haven't been able to participate lately - but wanted you to know that I have been thinking of you both and am glad to hear the surgery is over and things went well. It is great they were able to leave the kidney even if it isn't working at 100%. Hope Lyn's pain is fading and that she is stronger every day.

Peg

She's still sore as heck and suppose she will be for about 2 more weeks or so. Other then that, if she'd eat, sleep, and not worry (like that's possible) she'd be o.k. We go back to the Surgeon on the 10th for a follow up.

Ross,

I haven't been posting lately (not enough time) but I've been reading the threads. I'm glad Lyn is home and doing better. I agree with the others. Health first, then finanacial situation. My ex once had an MRI done. and it took him a few years to pay it off because he didn't have any insurance. He paid $10.00 a month. That was all he could afford. The hospital cashed the check every month. At about almost the two and half year mark, he received a letter from his doctor stating the balance (which was down to about $500.00 by that time) was forgiven. He wrote it off. Like the others have said. You can't get blood from a turnip! I know that doesn't stop you from worrying though. You and Lyn are in my prayers. Take care and God Bless.

Anxious to know how you are all doing...

Anxious to know how you are all doing...

Ross, I don't post much, but do review the site periodically. Has been a while due to other commitments so I was not aware until now of your family's situation. I sure do hope your wife has had successful surgery by now and is on the road to recovery. It does sometimes seem as if things just keep coming with no relief. Hang in there and you and yours will be in my thoughts and prayers. Susan :)

Oi!

Oi!

Ross, I apologize--I didn't read through all the posts to discover that Lyn is in fact home and recovering. I'm so glad for that--that's the biggest hurdle. I wanted to mention also that as long as they are cashing your checks, they are accepting your partial payment. You might want to discuss different payment arrangements with the hospital, etc., so you don't get gigged for that though. Most will work with you. When I had my heart surgery (avr), the doctor's office made a mistake and precertified with the wrong state BCBS. After the surgery, BCBS denied the claim. Even though it was an error, it took months to get it straightened out. But the doctor and hospital were very good about it when they could have begun demanding big bucks. Anyway, hang in there---you and yours are in my prayers. Susan :eek:

Latest posts

Back