NEW, confused, anxious - QUESTIONS

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great answers everyone! They really help a lot! THANKS again to all of you! I'm so glad I found this forum, it's helping me enormously!

I got Adam Pick's book (only a pdf version, as I'm in England), but I'll print it out and start reading as soon as possible.

No doubt I'll have some more questions to ask, but I hope my questions are also helping others who are reading them and are facing the same thing as me. :)

Hi all,

I've been reading some of the posts here about the possibility of waking up with a pacemaker after the op.

That's the kind of thing that scares me a bit. I've looked on some websites, and I see that the possibility of something like that happening is about 4%. That's pretty low, but somehow I never like trusting in statistics. I was just wandering, what would be realistically chances of something like this happening? And in what cases you end up with a temporary pacemaker, and the permanent one?

I never had issues with heart rate, but this is another thing that conserns me. :(

? Does it hurt when you breathe, move, speak, laugh?
Yes, but you'll get over it.
? What?s the size of the scar?
About 21 cm
? Does the scar bleed, and for how long?
No
? How soon after the operation will I be able to do most ordinary things, like read newspapers, talk, listen to iPod, etc? and how soon will I be able to get up (to go to toilet for example)?
Read newspaper, talk, listen to iPod etc..... just after you wake up.
Going to the toilet took 3 days.
? When will my stitches be taken out?
About the fourth day. Doesn't really hurt.
? It it true that I shouldn?t cross my legs (if so how long for)?
No
? Can I climb stairs?
Yes, it took me about 4 days to climb stairs. We had to climb two sets of stairs before being released from hospital.

Long Term

? Can I use anti-scar lotion to rub my incision with? How soon can I start that?
Yes, immediately.
? What should I eat to make the tissue stronger? (Diet)
Not sure?
? How can I speed up my recovery (diet, exercise, vitamins, etc)
Walking and a lot of rest.
? How soon can I expect to be able to walk around the house, walk around the block, sit up, sleep on the sides, and just do ordinary things?
Between 1-3 weeks.
* How soon can I start playing any sports
Not sure. Depends on how you feel.

Anti-coagualnt Questions?

? How does anticoagulant affect your weight? Do you put on weight, or lose it?
Neither. Depends on the individual.
? Do anti-coagulants affect your teeth?
After 4 month post surgery my teeth are o.k.
? Do anticoagulants affect your skin?
Yes. My skin has become a dull white colour.
? Do anticoagulants affect your sleep?
No. Only the ticking from the mechanical valve.
? Do anticoagulants affect your sperm?
Not sure. I'm a female.
? Can I take Multi-Vitamin tablets (if they include Vitamin K)?
Not sure. Ask your doctor.
? I often hear the anticoagulants can cause bleeding. What kind of bleeding is this (nose bleeds, for example), and how really dangerous is this?
I have had nose bleeds, paper cut bleeds etc. Although, nothing to stress about.
? Do anticoagulants cause physical addiction?
No
? What happens if you miss a dose?
Don't stress, just take the dose the following day.
? What happens if you have (for example) 5-6 beers while on warfarin?
Not sure. You get drunk!
? What medicines can you take if you get a flu (as I understand you can't take aspirins or paracetamols, etc)?
Not sure. Ask your doctor.

Regards,

Mimi

I just wanted to welcome you to the zoo....:)...Your first and best place for answers to medical questions are the medical professionals that are or will be treating you....we will help when we can.

Hi all,

I've been reading some of the posts here about the possibility of waking up with a pacemaker after the op.

That's the kind of thing that scares me a bit. I've looked on some websites, and I see that the possibility of something like that happening is about 4%. That's pretty low, but somehow I never like trusting in statistics. I was just wandering, what would be realistically chances of something like this happening? And in what cases you end up with a temporary pacemaker, and the permanent one?

I never had issues with heart rate, but this is another thing that conserns me. :(

Temporary pacing after VR is quite common and not to be worried about. Bruising, swelling and general post surgery trauma often causes the hearts natural pacing to go awry. As the heart rapidly heals so the need for pacing passes.

Somtimes the Bundle of His situated just behind the aortic valve is nicked during surgery and a permanent pacemaker implant is the solution. I've had one for fifteen years and TBH the only minor hassle was airport security scanners. New technology pacemakers are shielded against scanners now.

I temporary pacemaker is very common. I actually assumed it was 100% for that, but I'm not sure. It was no big deal. It just blended in with all the other wires, tubes, IVs, monitors, catheters, etc to deal with. I really didn't pay it any particular attention.

Latest posts

Back