Nervous-Husbands Annual Echo Today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryj

My husband has his annual echo at 9 A.M. and meets with the cardio to go over it at 10:30. Last year it was leaking a little more than the year before and he failed his breathing test at work to wear a respirator mask in dangerous work areas this year. He has had his ATS mechanical valve for 5 1/2 years. Please say some prayers that everything goes okay with his visit. He will be pciking me up at work at 8:30 and I will go with him Luckily my job allows me to use sick leave to attend his doctor appointments. I will post here right after his visit. Thanks for being here for us.

Terry, I can hardly believe it's been 5 1/2 yrs! Wishing the best for your dear husband. We'll be waiting to learn what the dr said. Glad you are going with him.

Best wishes and good

Best wishes and good

luck, Terry, that your husband will/has gotten a clean bill of health regarding his valve!!

Christina L

I understand your husband's nervousness. I don't think I will ever be able to get another echo without being anxious. Both of you are in my thoughts. Good luck.

Brad

Well,the ATS valve is working perfectly. The tricuspid valve and mitral valve are leaking slightly. But,they have scheduled him for a stress test with IV next week because the bottom of the heart muscle looks weak. They asked if he has been having chest pains or shortness of breath. Thay said it may be from an old heart attack. If he ever had one we don't know about it. So, I will hold my breath for another 2 weeks. The stress test is next Thursday and follow up the following Tues. What would they do if the heart is badly damaged? He does not act like he has other heart problems. He works 50 hours a week and fishes and works in the yard. Please keep us in your prayers. I am glad the ATS is working so well.

Terry -

Terry -

Glad to hear that your husband's test results were overall good. I know many people have "silent" heart attacks and don't even know it. However, I am hoping that the stress test will be totally okay showing no heart muscle damage or weakness. Like people tell me - look at the big picture - your husband's valve and all seem to be doing very well.

Christina L

To this day, knowing that I have an upcoming echo gets me all fired up. Just got the call this morning that I can have an echo instead of Catscan to check on this abdominal aneuyrsm.

I hope his goes well. :)

Christina, I am such a worrier. I stress over everything when it comes to my husband. I know it doesn't help anything but I have been doing it for nearly 40 years. We walked out of the doctors office with him grumbling because he has to miss a days work next week and then a half a day for a follow up and its just a waste of time according to him. All I am thinking is please let it be okay. I am happy about the ATS working so well. The said his ejection fraction(?) is 55 and thats perfect. Thanks for all your good wishes.

If they find something, maybe medicine can help it. Hopefully it will go well and nothing amiss will be there. O/W checkup sounds good. Thanks for letting us know.

Glad to hear that his valve is working well.

Don't let him miss any of his check-ups or tests!

Hopefully his Doc's can come up with a treatment plan that will perk him up.

Did they check for fluid retention?

There is a simple test, press the lower shin bone and see how long it takes for the dimple to disappear. If it stays 'too long' (whatever number that is), he is probably retaining too much fluid. Excess fluid retention can definitely cause shortness of breath issues. Diuretics and a Low Salt Diet usually solve that problem.

'AL Capshaw'

He has had a small amount of fluid retention. But, it is usually after a full day of fishing and after he is home for a little while it goes away on its own. This is someone who works at a physical job at least 50 hours a week and then fishes or works on the house or in the yard on the weekends. He gets on his treadmill at least 4 times a week and does about 4 miles in an hour. The fact he had a valve replacement we understood because he was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. But, all this other is hard to accept. Don't worry I don't let him miss any doctors appointments or tests. I use the guilt thing about what would I do without him or I talk about how I will find me a young boyfriend to help me spend his money when hes gone. After nearly 40 years of marriage he know better than this.

Latest posts

Back