Need Some Information And Encouragement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgammo

Hello everyone,

I'm almost 5 months post-op and I have been experiencing some strange stuff, so I wanted to see if any of you have had similar experiences. Every couple of weeks for the last few months, my heart becomes more rapid (this lasts for 2 days or so), then goes back to normal. For the last couple of weeks, I have been VERY aware of my heart when sleeping on my sides (not so much on my back). Last week, there were two nights that my resting heart rate was around 100 bpm (I'd like to note that I seem to have dry sinuses, I might be fighting something off). Have any of you experienced this? Does this sound like Afib or pericardial effusion? If you've ever had afib or pericardial effusion, what did it feel like, so I can compare feelings?

To recap:

-Every couple of weeks, I go into a bout of rapid heart rate for about 2-3 days and it is consistent throughout the day.

-I am very aware of my heart beat and can feel each beat when I sleep on my sides.

-Last week, while being sick (I assume), my resting heart rate while sleeping was around 90-100.

-I also suffer from anxiety and stress, so this may contribute?

I am 26 years old, with an On-X valve, 5 months post-op, 170lbs and 5'10''. I have an appointment for an EKG and Echo this following Tuesday.

Thanks for all of your help, and God bless each and every one of you!

Would mention the high heart rate episodes to your doctor. You can be put on a Holter monitor that will keep a record of your heart rate, etc. and can provide the doctor with information as to whether you have a problem or not. At five months post-op you're still not fully recovered. I found it took a year before I was fully recovered. Also, I would hope that you are doing some kind of cardiovascular exercise such as jogging, rowing, elliptical, stepper, etc (or at least walking) to get your heart rate elevated for at least 30 minutes twice a week.

I don't think A-Fib or effusion would be the trouble as i think A-Fib rates of concern are much higher, such as 140+ and effusion you'd probably be suffering a great deal, probably unable to walk any short distance and most likely unable to lie down.

A resting rate of 100 seems high to me though, the EKG and echo your having may help out as to why. Why are you having the anxiety and stress? Are you feeling the anxiety when your heart rate is up?

A few years before my surgery when my doctor was assuring me there was absolutley nothing wrong with my heart and I was experiencing pain,anxiety, and stress; I found clonazepam to work rather well.

I don't think A-Fib or effusion would be the trouble as i think A-Fib rates of concern are much higher, such as 140+ and effusion you'd probably be suffering a great deal, probably unable to walk any short distance and most likely unable to lie down.

A resting rate of 100 seems high to me though, the EKG and echo your having may help out as to why. Why are you having the anxiety and stress? Are you feeling the anxiety when your heart rate is up?

A few years before my surgery when my doctor was assuring me there was absolutley nothing wrong with my heart and I was experiencing pain,anxiety, and stress; I found clonazepam to work rather well.

Fundy,

I've had a lot of stress and anxiety due to work, school, and the fear of having another OHS. In fact, I've been having nightmares about having another OHS. I guess I'm just being a baby...

Can't comment though, best wishes from my end. Hope you get this resolved. However I'd want to add, my Doc said once fixed only thing you have to worry about is other stuffs and not your Valve.

So, control all the parameters and you'd be fine, but it's always prefered to go to the doc in case you have any doubts. So you ECG would remove all the doubts. I had an episode few days back, where I was feeling giddy and a bit breathless also was feeling weak, the first thing that crossed my mind was valve, but it was something else its seems I didn't have enough food to the amount of exercise I had done, once I had my food I was better and by next day I was fine.

Just my share of experiences, I guess.

For anxiety, I'd suggest have faith and take things a bit lightly, nothing is gonna end today, and whatever is supposed to happen will happen, so chill...!!

As far as being aware of your heart while laying on your side, I was told that after heart surgery your heart can move around a bit more so it may just touching against your sternum and being amplified by that. I hear mine all the time as I sleep on my side.

-Every couple of weeks, I go into a bout of rapid heart rate for about 2-3 days and it is consistent throughout the day.

-Last week, while being sick (I assume), my resting heart rate while sleeping was around 90-100.

-I also suffer from anxiety and stress, so this may contribute?
How rapid is the heart rate you mention in your first item?

That's high for sleep, and high this far out after surgery. Since you said you're seeing doc on Tues, be sure to bring these up. It may be as simple as needing a bit higher dose of beta blocker, or you could be having afib; either way, let doc be aware.

Sounds like anxiety or stress, but never hurts to check things out to rule out possibles. You are also experiencing the anxiety of another surgery in your mind. No everyone comes from bypass happy or ready to tackle the world in one day. Recovery takes time and many do try to rush it. Just take some deep breathes, go see the cardio and see what it is, and listen to some smooth, relaxing music, if possible. You may just need to try to relax at some point in the day. I had to for a short time and it worked. I still have moments when it come to work, but I try to do what can relax me physically and mentally. Even if it is ten minutes out of the day, it will help. Just try it, even just some deep breathing. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back