Need help obtaining a sample

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Frank

Mr. Noob here...

I've tried three different styles of lancest's however, rarely am I able to obtain a nice sample for my INR test.

Any thoughts or suggestions would really be appreciated!

Thanks!

I use a simple diabetic lancet set on the deepest setting (6). The main thing, however, that someone suggested was use a small rubberband on the finger just before doing the test. Since I've done that, I have always gotten a good sample. Don't know if this will help but it's worked for me.

I just make sure that my hand is warm and hanging down.....then I stick it and lightly press on the base of the finger if needed. Some people soak the finger in warm water.
I've never botched a test. (coaguchek and Softclix lancer)

I spoke with the Manager, Clinical Services for QAS and her recommendation was to massage the lower part of your finger, pause to let the blood start then go back to massaging and pausing until you have a big blood drop. I have used the method and it always works for me.

Some suggestions for increasing blood to your fingertips are:

1- swing your arm back and forth (45 degrees behind you to 45 degrees in front), being careful not to hit anything

2- run warm water over your hand and fingers

3- 'milk' your fingers to draw blood to the tip

4- pinch your finger tip (top of nail and bottom of the tip)
to form a 'bulge' on the side. stick the side.

I don't home test, but when I was pregnant and diabetic, Bina's method is what the Insulin nurse taught me. Warmth and gravity are the key. You might also notice that when you drink lots of fluids the veins in the backs of your hands are larger. Making sure you are well hydrated is also a key factor.

Latest posts

Back