Nearly Ten and Thirty-Four

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily

Premium Level User
Adding this update about four months after thread originated: Shortly after I began this thread, I became ill and quickly got worse. My valve was failing and beginning to tear apart and I was in heart failure with severe pulmonary hypertension. About three months after this thread began, I received a new valve and an ascending aortic aneurysm was repaired also.

Below is the original post for this thread.

-------------------------------

In just a few weeks I'll have had this tissue valve for ten years. I also recently passed the thirty-four year anniversary with my aortic Dacron graft. Overall, I'm feeling pretty well. My valve opening has always been small and has gotten some smaller. Simultaneously my body weight has increased. :eek2: Not exactly the best combination of events. And definitely an energy-sapper. But my life is pretty busy and I get done what I need to.

Some candid thoughts: I'm glad it's not ten years ago. I felt so very unwell as my native bicuspid valve had nearly reached its expiration. And I found the recovery from open heart valve replacement surgery much more challenging in my 40's than my previous heart surgery recovery in my late teens. But while I don't look forward to the next open heart surgery, my family and I still believe a tissue valve was my best option.

I rarely find the time to visit this site anymore. And I hardly recognize any member names. But I still recall how relieved I was when I first discovered and joined VR.COM, now VR.ORG, in August 2003.

Thanks Hank :)

I wish you all happiness and good health :)

Last edited:
In just a few weeks I'll have had this tissue valve for ten years. I also recently passed the thirty-four year anniversary with my aortic Dacron graft. Overall, I'm feeling pretty well. My valve opening has always been small and has gotten some smaller. Simultaneously my body weight has increased. :eek2: Not exactly the best combination of events. And definitely an energy-sapper. But my life is pretty busy and I get done what I need to.

Some candid thoughts: I'm glad it's not ten years ago. I felt so very unwell as my native bicuspid valve had nearly reached its expiration. And I found the recovery from open heart valve replacement surgery much more challenging in my 40's than my previous heart surgery recovery in my late teens. But while I don't look forward to the next open heart surgery, my family and I still believe a tissue valve was my best option.

I rarely find the time to visit this site anymore. And I hardly recognize any member names. But I still recall how relieved I was when I first discovered and joined VR.COM, now VR.ORG, in August 2003.

Thanks Hank :)

I wish you all happiness and good health :)
Happy 10th valversary, Lily! Wishing you many more year of good health and longevity with your valve! I always appreciated your insight and contribution to this forum over the years.
Best wishes,

Happy anniversary, Lily. You originally joined here just after I did, I think. I was in The Waiting Room for many years, though, while you went right ahead to surgery. I'm glad we're both around to be here. Wishing you many happy returns of the day.

Congratulations Lily! Thanks for posting your anniversary. Don't hear from too many long term tissue valvers here. It is encouraging. Here's to many more healthy and happy years!

What cheerful and pleasant replies, all of you; thank you!

Continued best wishes :)

Back