Nausea after taking coumadin?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetmarie

Recently been taking Statex for severe lower back pain and had not eaten for a few hours prior to taking. Took my regular dose of coumadin (4mg) at noon with lunch. At 14:00, I became nauseated (almost certain from the statex on an empty stomach). Should I have taken another dose of coumadin or just wait until the next day? I did not take another dose.

Thanks to all.
SM

HUH? I don't understand why you would even consider taking another dose of Coumadin after you had already taken your daily dose with your lunch.

FWIW, I have never experienced nausea from taking Coumadin / Warfarin.

What were your directions for taking the Statex? (With or without Food?)

You may want to discuss your reaction with your Pharmacist (since it's a FREE Service with a knowledgable professional who should know (or be able to find) typical reactions to all of your medications.

'AL Capshaw'

If you didn't vomit, the warfarin should still be in your system. After two hours, it probably passed through your stomach and further down into your digestive system. I think you're at more risk of harming yourself if you take another dose than you would be just staying the course. IF you wound up with less than your regular daily dose, this wouldn't be reflected in your INR for 3 or 4 days.

I don't ever recall nausea after taking warfarin.

Of course, if you've got questions about dosing, it's always good to ask your doctor.

It was most certainly the Statex that caused the nausea and/or vomiting, it's a documented side effect.
Since you took the Coumadin a couple of hours earlier it was mostly digested and absorbed into your system, so I
wouldn't take the chance of doubling your Coumadin dosing. Your INR should be just fine, but I would be very
careful with the timing of your Statex med.
My Quebec pharmacy always gives me an info sheet with all new
meds giving exact instructions on how and when to take the particular med.
Hope you feel better :)

Did vomit

Did vomit

I guess I was trying to be too "clean" with my choice of words. I did indeed vomit, this is why I'm asking the question, do you think enough coumadin was ingested prior to the vomiting.
The cause was not the coumadin. I have been on coumadin for over three months now and it never caused any discomfort.
And yes, I should have taken the statex with food, my bad.

Last edited:
Its hard to say but my instructions when I started coumadin was that if I missed a day, to not double up the next day and keep taking each day as normal and make adjustments as needed when I did the next test (weekly). If this happened to me, I would lean towards the coumadin taken earlier made it into my system and not worry about it.

Back