My Weekend Project

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matski

Well, this weekend is round two. Last year before my son Nick was born I had the bright idea of doing something special for his room. The wife and I decided on a cool kiddie pirate theme for his bedding and my bright idea was to do a mural of a pirate ship in his room. I found some pictures for inspiration and went to town. Think it took me 3 weekends to hand draw it on the walls. then I bought an airbrush, (not as easy to use as i thought it would be) and had it finished working on it on and off 4 weeks later. Never occured to me we might have another one and I'd be obligated to do it again. However, before I can really start I have to fix the room. The room in question was my daughters old room that my wife decided to paint (which i asked then strongly recommended she not do) by herself peptobismo pink with an outdoor airgun. Needless to say EVERYTHING is pink...walls, ceilings (popcorn style i might add), doors. So, I'll start priming the room this weekend (god only knows how many coats that will take) and i guess i'll start drawing the following weekend. Gives me about 8 weeks till Chase is supposed to arrive, I hope he doesnt come early. :eek:

Here are a few pic's of Nick's room.

When I was a kid I loved two things, Pirates and Airplanes!

The theme for Chase's room will be aircraft family members have been associated with.

My great uncle was in the 406th fighter group in WW2 comprised of the P-47 Thunderbolts (wall 1), my grandfather couldn't join the military due to a bad/injured eye so during the war he built F6F Hellcats (wall 2) and my wifes grandfather flew Huey's and Cobra's (helicopters) in the army air cav regiment during vietnam...probably do the Cobra since it looks cooler according to my daughter.

Plan on taking inspiration from aviation art from those era's, here is one I'm considering for Wall 2.

Looked into that a while back but to do Nicks room it was going to cost anywhere from $1,500- 2,500 from the due to the size and it being custom. I cringed when my wife picked the crib and found out it was $400. heh

Minor update...it took 3 gallons of kilz but the ceiling is finally covered without any pink bleeding through. Walls are mostly covered but I'm gonna roll them one more time with a gallon of flat white paint. Probably start actually drawing the mural this weekend and I'm guessing if i get the time probably a good solid 3-4 weekends to paint it. I took before pictures of the 'Pink' (pepto pink is more like it)room before I started. Will try and post that and pic's of the cleansed pallete later this week.

Matt

Matski,
You're quite a guy! It's awesome that your customizing your kids rooms; I wish that I could have had something that cool growing up (I was also fascinated by military history as a kid, so it would have been doubly cool) Good luck putting it together.

Thanks Grant! I'm sure they'll like it till they hit about 12 then want to paint over it. Heh, that's not happening! At least I know they will appreciate it when they get older because I'm keeping detailed records for them. :p

I'm back...sorry for the delay. Here are some updated pictures of the baby's mural I'm STILL working on...looks like Im gonna have to make a bunch of posts to get these images up...bear with me.

Ah, found another way...

Wall 1

10228_175196294605_764099605_3712068_7811929_n.jpg

10228_175196289605_764099605_3712067_2146227_n.jpg

10228_175196299605_764099605_3712069_5665741_n.jpg

10228_175196304605_764099605_3712070_2167707_n.jpg

goodness, you are an artist. that is going to be just lovely - well, not lovely maybe but very handsome. great detail. keep us in the loop as it becomes reality.

Both rooms look great! When Justin was younger (4-5) he LOVED Cal Ripken and the O's , I decided to make his room "camden yards" had the bed in the corner and that was kind of the dug out with a shelves as the roof" and put batting (fluffy matterial) 1/2 way up the walls on the side and top of the bed, coverred with O's material (which weere great to lean against for video games ect). BUT the "best" part (OR more insane depending how you look at it), was I wanted all the colors to be as close to matching inside the stadium as possible so when we went to the next game (3 hours away) I took a ton of paint swatch cards thinking I would just walk around matching colors. Well Of course the game was rain out, it was pouring and when the crowds were gone I went up to a security guard and asked if I could please go in and match colors for my sons room since we lived in NJ ect. At first he just thought I was nuts wanting to go all over in the down pour holding up paint chips to the seats walls ect, but he agreed to let us in (I think Justin's sad face helped lol) and by the end he was helping us decide WHICH green really was the closest and which orange was perfect. We had fun doing the room, one wall was the stands with all the fans and the "lemon chill guy" and we glued pennents and made small Orange foam #1 fingers to glue on some of the fans. You can get really obsessed and it is hard to stop :)

Latest posts

Back