My upcoming surgery--words of wisdom?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the surgery can be something of an anti-climax, you think its a big deal, but you don't realise that you are already doing the really hard work ie. the waiting. On a positive, it sounds like this has been sprung on you, so short wait time ?

You have lotsa good advice already. Don't sneeze is my pearl of wisdom, plus the usual stuff - take it easy, relax, don't push yourself when you're home. Walk lots, eat lots, sleep.

All will be well.

Ade

Wishing you lots of luck on your surgery....the best part is that after a couple of months it seems like it's all a blur......or maybe it's the good meds they give you...;)
I have no advice, you have gotten it all from the experts.
Godspeed...see you on the other side.

Pre surgery ..... Go to the dentist ! Get any dodgy teeth fixed or yanked out and be done with it because it's a not so easy after your operation.... Also if you've always wanted a giant Rainbow trout or something Tattooed across your back then do it now because the ink can run when you're on Warfarin (or so they say, the "they" that are normally wrong!) so best get it done now ? Or sky diving if it's something you've always wanted to do ... Although some have done it on Warfarin, it's not advised... Good luck...

If you decide to go with the tat be sure to check with your surgeon. Some won't touch you until 6 months after the tat - hate to screw up the plans for surgery.

I went through the same thing in February. Everyone has given great advice. All I can say is everyone is different. Mine fortunately couldn't have been any smoother. I walked out of the hospital 5 days later, was walking 5 miles a day within a week, driving and back to work part time in 4.

Now I am training for a 59 mile bike ride for the American Heart Association in 2 weeks!

All that aside the best advice is to be kind to yourself before and after. Listen to your body and walk as much as possible after
Nick

Thank all of you so much for the words of wisdom and encouragement. You have been so helpful. I handle things so much better when I have, at least, an idea of what to expect and how to prepare. I don't know how soon I will have computer access after surgery. But as soon as I do, I will let all of you know how I am doing.

By now you should be recovering. I wish you only the best! Breathe! Use the inspirometer! Get a recliner. it will help you get up and down. Do what they tell you! You've been through the worst now make the best out of it!

Latest posts

Back