My Post Op Thread and thanks!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin1981

This forum and it's members proved to be a wealth of knowledge, reassurance, and support while I was in the waiting room, so this is my small way of giving back since I am now on the other side. Many thanks to TheGymGuy and Dick0236 for inspiration and support.

FYI - I chose an ON-X valve and had to have an aortic graft.

Surgery Day - I was the first case of the day, scheduled to go in at 5:45am. I arrived in the Preop unit where I was given some pre-surgery meds and had my chest and legs shaved. Then I had some final words with family and friends. I was in pretty good spirits as I knew exactly what to expect and I like to think that I handle things pretty well. Granted I am single and don't have a family of my own at this time so that no doubt made my instance easier than some. My surgeon met with me in the holding area and askd me if I had any questions. To which I replied "I'm ready lets do this." Then I am on the way to the OR suite #14 . I forgot to mention that I actually work at this hospital chain as an IT supervisor so I knew that this OR may have been labeled 14, but it was actually OR 13 since superstition would not permit a 13th OR suite.

As I was transported inside the OR there were 12 or so people running about like busy bees. I was transported to the operating table then nurses and anesthesiologists began running IVs on me. There was no countdown, the next thing I remember I was in intensive recovery)CVSU.

Here is what I missed:

7:08 - I was taken to holding
12:13 - I was taken off the heart/lung machine

6:46 - I had my first visitors and the dreaded breathing tube was removed. I have read on here where some people experience varied levels of consciousness after there surgery. I remembered a lot. I remember my best friend assisting me with the breathing exercises that enabled me to get the breathing tube out in record time. Which was told was 30 minutes after I woke up. If I had one visitor I could remember everything we talked about and who they were. If I had two visitors i could remember who they were and mist of the conversation. However if it was three i would completely forget one person and some of the conversation.

Here is a picture of me in the Intensive care unit. I gained about 10 pounds from fluids and i am giving a weak thumbs up:)

1003185_10152370994700288_1739796963_n.jpg

I had amazing care throughout my stay but my daytime nurse in the CVSU was amazing. He referred to me as a rock star because I was way more cooperative (and younger) than most of his other patients. I stayed on this unit for the night after surgery and the following afternoon.

Recovery Day 1
I was thrilled to be moving to A room and to get more tubes taken out. Overall while in CVSU I had 800 ml of fluid drained form my chest tubes and the drainage had slowed significantly. Around noon or so my catheter and 2 chest tubes were removed. I have rad where some people have varied opinions of what the most painful part of the procedure was. I felt like my team managed my pain very well so the cath was nothing and the chest tubes only hurt slightly when they were removed. However, i do think that most of my pain was due to the mere presence of the chest tubes. They did cause spasms of pain periodically and taking anything close to deep breath hurt like hell. After they were removed I felt like a whole new person and was way more mobile. I have read where some people had their chest tube wounds stitched shut, but mine where left open and A large bandage was applied daily. over 2 weeks post op now they have almost completely healed.

I was transported to the 6th floor which is our cardiac unit. This unit had hearts on the floor that mimicked a walking track and It equaled 250 feet per lap. They staff was amazed that I wanted to walk around the unit upon arrival. The first day I did 4 laps. each patient was strongly encouraged to to 12 laps a day.

Recovery day 2
More med passes, blood draws, x rays, and other tests. I had a weak appetite but it grew better each day, as did my laps. On day two I Believe I did 14.

Recovery day 4
Nothing eventful happened on day 3 however On day 4 I began taking coumadin. I was also up to 18 laps at this time

Recovery day 5
Up to 24 laps now. My surgeon tells me that younger people bounce back quicker but it tends to be more painful. They are going to keep me for a few more days to let the coumadin take effect, and in the mean time they are giving me lovenox shots.

Recovery day 6
A PA removes my pacing wires. This was painless for me. I very proudly completed 26 laps on this day.

Recovery day 7
Woohoo! My INR levels are where my surgeon wants them so I am being discharged and get to go home.

Overall my experience was very good and was never as scary or painful as I had anticipated. The worst pain I felt the entire time was from when I slept funny one night and had shoulder pain the next day. My recovery time at home has also gone well. I am walking 2-3 miles daily and can feel more strength returning each day. One thing I wanted to make everyone aware of is the very common after effects of the heart/lung machine. After having these odd symptoms I learned in a patient education class that it can cause night sweats, intense hot/cold flashes, trouble focusing vision, and bad/weird dreams, to which I suffered all of. The good news is that in most cases it only lasts about 3 weeks or so and gets less intensive. My surgeon also used glue instead of stitches on my incision. Which I highly recommend and it leaves a clean cut so you don't end up looking like a football:)

Now to get on with life!

Now to get on with life!

Atta Boy. Hang on to this summary you have written...it will be a good reminder of your entry into the "zipper club". BTW, keep copies of any "important" hospital or surgeon records and be sure to register your valve with ON-X. I found out that docs and hospitals "purge" patient records after several years. Six or seven years ago, I needed information regarding my initial surgery and I found almost all info had been destroyed. Fortunately, one "operating room record" was still on file to prove that I actually had a Starr-Edwards valve implanted....although we do not know exactly which valve I got.....but, like the old Model T Ford, there weren't many models to pick from....so we have a pretty good idea.

Good luck to you.....and stay in touch with this forum. The "newbies" need the insights and experiences of guys like you....who have recent surgical experience.

Great to hear you through and smiling :)

My only advice is avoid food that has crumbs. You don't want to cough :)

I wish you an uneventful recovery and look forward to your first post of outdoor activity

Justin: Congrats on making it to the other side. I also have an ON-X valve with the graft. Tommorrow I am 5 months post-op.
I am doing fine. My cardilogist loves the ON-X valve and feels very confident about it.
Because of this my INR range has been lowered from 2.5-3.0. Now the new range is 2.0 -2.5. last two tests 2.5 and 2.4. Next test in a month.:thumbup:

Dick0236 - Thanks for the advice, but my medical team was actually on the ball. I had a wallet card with make/model/Serial number before i even reached my room. I was glad they were so organized:)

pellicle - I have been lucky so far to avoid the inevitable sneezing action. Those around my have been sneezing more than normal so i'm hopping they are taking the hit for me!

Heart of the Sunrise - my INR is still off target, but i hear this is quite common in the beginning. My surgeon is a huge fan of the ON-X also and recommended for me a 2 - 2.5 INR for this valve.

Latest posts

Back