My official post op thread

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sood

I made it home today after 5 days in the hospital!! Went for a 1/3 mile walk in 10 minutes this evening. Did a 1/3 mile walk in the hospital in the morning and also another 5 minute walk. I also did the 15 steps in my house to the 2nd floor after my walk.

Things are going good thank God. My inr is an issue stuck at 1.2 but hopefully it will budge after taking 7.5 mg of warfarin yesterday and 10 mg today. The valve is loud but I'm getting used to it and it is reassuring. My battle with the spirometer continues.

I am extremely blessed. Hope I can eliminate the norcor pain meds next. And also have an on/off headache.

It sounds like you're on the fast track to recovery -- the one I missed. From all I've read and heard, you are doing fine. Keep up the good work.

Have they discussed cardio rehab with you?

Hi,

They have not discussed rehab with me yet although I will bring that up with my cardio tomorrow.

Thanks!

Sood - I agree with Steve, sounds like you're on the fast track to recovery. Keep up the walking and the other things the docs tell you to do, but don't over do it. As good as you're doing, I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to have you skip the cardio rehab, but it's worth asking your cadio about.

I have been thinking about you! So glad your surgery went well! I am going in on Monday for angiogram and OHS Tuesday and hope I can be out of there in 5days! Great job!!!!!!!! Here is to a speedy recovery!!!!

Daniel: Thanks I need to keep my overdoing meter in check. Have already tested the boundaries and then I crash on the recliner.

Missaviator and Kim: both of you ladies will do great, I'll be praying for you.

I would have been out the hospital 4 days post op but the NP kept me another night to monitor my inr. My last 2 days in the hospital were pretty restless, I mainly hung out with family in the lounge and tried to sit on the chair/sofa as much as possible.

Thank you all!

Just got back from my morning walk:
Total walk time: 12:50 (rested for a couple minutes halfway)
Distance: .61 miles
Avg heart rate: 100 Bpm
Max heart rate: 113 Bpm

For all of those in the waiting room
I highly recommend a app that tracks your walks. There are many, I use endomondo.
And a Bluetooth strap that communicates with your app, I'm using the polar h7 all on an iPhone 5.

It helps me not push too hard and rest or slow down when I need.

Cardio appt this afternoon. Last week this time I was in a gurney waiting to get cut open.
Have faith, with the combination or God, modern medicine and some drive I am feeling well. Keep up your spirits!

Sood,

Are you running a race? lol I am keeping close watch on your recovery. I walk 40 minutes a day now..about 1.5 miles. So slow........but this is before surgery...hoping to get that time up after surgery! You are an inspiration! Keep up the great recovery and have a great weekend..at home. Kim

Sood: Your walk is very impressive considering how recently you had surgery.

Your walk times post-surgery are pretty close to what mine are pre-surgery (and no symptoms). In one of those odd things that sometimes happen in life that are probably meant to be, I decided to start jogging -- for the first time in my life -- last November. This was more than a month prior to my echo that showed my valve had gotten worse.

I did the Couch to 5K program, with lots of fits and starts, and am now working on getting my VERY slow times up, as well as my VERY meager distances up.

Keep up the good work. -- Suzanne

Kim: ha ha, today while walking I actually physically felt like capable of running! Keep walking!

Suzanne: keep it up! It will make things easier.

My last walk post cath exam pre op was 4/28:
2.32 miles in 38:11
Avg pulse 107 bpm
Max pulse 124 bpm

Sood,
I've been thinking of getting a constant heart rate monitor but saw some mention the chest strap can be uncomfortable, especially with a scar. You are wearing a chest strap after just having surgery a week ago? I'm guessing it is not so uncomfortable then?

Glad to hear your recovery is going so well.

Sood,
I've been thinking of getting a constant heart rate monitor but saw some mention the chest strap can be uncomfortable, especially with a scar. You are wearing a chest strap after just having surgery a week ago? I'm guessing it is not so uncomfortable then?

Glad to hear your recovery is going so well.

Hi Az,

It isn't uncomfortable, definitely a little weird. Even before the incision it was weird wearing it. I wear it right between my chest tube scar and end of my incision which I believe is right where it should be. So it isn't really touching either incision.

Sood

Day 9 Post op

- appetite is back in full force
- sleeping better and flatter including on my side
- just finished my morning walk, .90 miles in 16 minutes with no rest.
- Haven't taken anything but Tylenol in 10 hours.

Life is getting really back to normal for me and I am real grateful.

Hi Sood! So happy your recovery is going smooth. I'm at the month mark and my only issue, as far as I know is that my nerves are reconstructing and I can feel pain in my upper body muscles! Ouch, but nothing serious.

You monitor your progress quite well, I think I can learn a thing or two from you!

Latest posts

Back