My neighbors and warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvdr

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
It is real confusing but it is actually my sister's sister in-law who leases the home next door to me. It remains vacant most of the year since my neighbor (Pete), her mother (Henri) and her daughter Candy actually live down in Florida the majority of the year. This past summer, 87 or 88y/o Henri was still trying to get regulated with her warfarin so I tested her with my Protime a few times and helped her understand some of the principles. She is very bright and caught on rapidly. She is doing very well. She is very dear to me and I was very displeased that she was taught so very little about anticoagulation.

This year both Pete and Candy had surgery shortly before coming up to North Carolina for the summer. Candy's surgery. Candy's surgery was bunion surgery on her foot. She is a school teacher and returned to work still in a cast boot and wheelchair at times. She had problems this week and went to her doctor. Verdict: DVT in her leg and then a scan revealed she also had clots in the arteries going to both lungs. Of course she is still in the hospital and is on heparin and warfarin has been started. She seems to be doing well. She was fortunate to have had a doctor who picked up on it and took the proper steps since it could have had a fatal outcome. I'm not sure how long she will be in the hospital since Heparin is the drug that actually targets existing clots and helps break them down. The warfarin is more of a preventative to guard against forming new clots.

Next summer my Protime monitor may get quite a workout. I might have to have group lessons.:)

Don't you just love passing on the knowledge to others and watching their faces light up when they get it right?

Ross said:
Don't you just love passing on the knowledge to others and watching their faces light up when they get it right?

I sure do! I know too that even though I have been an RN for many years I really didn't know the INs and OUTs of warfarin. Being on this site has made me so much able to give out worthwhile advice. Al has been wonderful to have as a member here!

I am so pleased with what I have learned here. Last night I tested with my INRatio and for the first time got a perfect 3.0! It felt just as good as hitting a hole-in-one.(I've had 3 in a long career in golf)

Come on, Marty... Nearly as good as hole-in-one, but not exactly as good as hole-in-one, right? :D
How have you been?
Guess I need one more hole-in-one to make mine 3, too.

It feels just like yesterday when we were trying to keep our heads above water with anticogulation management. It's been just about 1 year since I found this community.
And just recently, we, too, had an opportunity to share what we learned here with someone local and felt blessed to be able to do it. We just want to thank eveyone who shares their knowldge and wisdom on this site. :)

EJ

doyo said:
Come on, Marty... Nearly as good as hole-in-one, but not exactly as good as hole-in-one, right? :D
How have you been?
Guess I need one more hole-in-one to make mine 3, too.

It feels just like yesterday when we were trying to keep our heads above water with anticogulation management. It's been just about 1 year since I found this community.
And just recently, we, too, had an opportunity to share what we learned here with someone local and felt blessed to be able to do it. We just want to thank eveyone who shares their knowldge and wisdom on this site. :)

EJ
EJ tell me, what did you find hard about it once you talked to us and grasped hold of the concept?

Well, Ross.
Here is the most recent example.
My wife's dentist is young and like many young doctors, he is up to date on Warfain protocol. We've had no issues with him on this.
She called last week for semi-annual routine check up and cleaning appointment. Her dentist was on vacation. Another dentist in the same practice, upon hearing that she was on warfarin, told her to stop taking warfarin for 3 days before coming in for the routine cleaning! :eek:
She just ignored him and asked when her dentist would be in and made the appointment with her regular dentist. She goes there today. Needless to say, she continued taking the normal dose of warfarin.

Ross,
Do you have a link to the offical warfarin protocol from Dentist organization?
I did not want my wife deal with this.
I am going there in a couple of weeks and I want to show (or shove it in his face) the printed copy to this other dentist.
Things like this do not upset me (too much) anymore but I think this doctor needs an updated information to prevent him from doing harms to his patients.:mad:

EJ

doyo said:
Well, Ross.
Here is the most recent example.
My wife's dentist is young and like many young doctors, he is up to date on Warfain protocol. We've had no issues with him on this.
She called last week for semi-annual routine check up and cleaning appointment. Her dentist was on vacation. Another dentist in the same practice, upon hearing that she was on warfarin, told her to stop taking warfarin for 3 days before coming in for the routine cleaning! :eek:
She just ignored him and asked when her dentist would be in and made the appointment with her regular dentist. She goes there today. Needless to say, she continued taking the normal dose of warfarin.

Ross,
Do you have a link to the offical warfarin protocol from Dentist organization?
I did not want my wife deal with this.
I am going there in a couple of weeks and I want to show (or shove it in his face) the printed copy to this other dentist.
Things like this do not upset me (too much) anymore but I think this doctor needs an updated information to prevent him from doing harms to his patients.:mad:

EJ

This sounds like a perfect time to "educate" the Dentist on the latest protocol for cleaning teeth while on Coumadin.

I would suggest *respectfully* pointing out that the ADA recommendations are to proceed without holding and that his partner has been in concurrence with this philosophy for X years. Then refer him to the website or show him a copy of the ADA recommendation. An ANGRY confrontation would only cause the older Dentist to "dig in his heels and result in ruffled feathers".

'AL Capshaw'

Al, Thanks for the wise advice.
Despite my feelings, I was actually planning to leave a copy of an official portocol with a polite note pointing out that his old practice may be harmful to patients instead of a having a face-off... :p

I just went to ADA site but could not find the anticoagulation protocol...

EJ

Latest posts

Back