My mother's local cardio doesn't support home testing.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the thing about being unable to accurately quarter a warfarin pill is a bit of FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) that one of the pill manufacturers told the physicians to prescribe the medication. Years ago, they created a fear of generic warfarin, saying that the dosages were inaccurate, the effects were different from those for patented coumadin, etc. The use of a meter or blood draw to validate INRs after changing from coumadin to warfarin shattered that myth (but it's still not a bad idea to confirm the effect when switching providers).

For a fast acting medication that may have serious effects if you underdose or overdose, the argument that you can't accurately split a pill a second time may have validity, but for something like warfarin, where the effects are slow to be seen, and where the INR values fluctuate through the day, and where tenths of a milligram don't have extreme impact, I don't have a big problem with trying to accurately split a half a pill a second time. For example -- I take 7 mg/day -- and I get this by splitting a 10 mg and a 4 mg and taking half of each. Should it appear that I need 7.5 mg a day, what I would probably do is split a 10, take 1/2 of the ten, and then split the other half to ROUGHLY 2.5 mg. The next day, I'll take the other 'quarter' pill and a half of a new 10 mg. The ultimate total for two days would still be 15 mg, even if one day, I'm taking 7.3 and the other day it's 7.7.

I really don't see a big problem with attempting to break a warfarin pill into quarters. (I make my own 81mg aspirin by quartering a 325 mg - sure, none of the quarters are exactly the same, but the overall effect is slow and cumulative, so I don't have a big problem with doing it this way).

Oh -- on the subject of cutting 'crumbs' -- I don't think that you'd be throwing away too much dosage even if you toss the crumbs. If a 1/4 cut gives you a solid piece of pill and a bunch of little crumbs, you probably throw them away and cut another 'quarter.'

Still -- it wouldn't hurt to have a supply of 1 mg, 2.5 mg, and 10 mg pills on hand so you can pretty much create any dosage needed by combining whole or half pills. (Actually, the 2.5 may not be necessary, but it makes things easier if you want a 2.5, 5, or 7.5).

I'm hoping that if you're a chronic warfarin user (and I seem to recall that in your case this may not be the case), you'll be able to get a meter and self-test.

Protimenow, I agree with every WORD of your detailed post, and that doesn't happen all that often! ;)

Yes, my plan is to quit the Warfarin in another 5-ish weeks, subject to a good 48-hour Holter test. Home testing sounds wonderful, but not for 5 weeks.

It's good to see so much agreement. I appreciate the quality of your postings - and I'm happy to state this publicly -- even if we don't always agree.

It is good to see that you will probably soon be off warfarin (though I don't mind having had to take it for the last 19 1/2 years), but it's too bad you couldn't find a clinic on the corner that could do a quick finger-stick test for you.

It's too bad that the US and Canadian governments don't allow better access to meters and test supplies - but leave the prescribing of warfarin to the medical professionals.

I sure hope so.

(I'm not a diabetic, but I recall not long ago when blood glucose meters were available by prescription only, were very expensive, and the strips were also expensive and by prescription only. Now, many meters are practically being given away (and they are, with rebates) because the blades (strips) are where the profits are. I've even heard of people on warfarin buying these cheap meters just to get the lancing device for less than the same device is as a standalone product. It would be great if the INR meters similarly become readily available, and the quantities bring the costs down, and anyone curious about his or her INR can buy one. I think the public health benefits of allowing the millions taking anticoagulants to easily and affordably buy meters and strips to keep their own INRs in range can save the system millions of dollars - if not more - not to mention the many lives it could potentially help extend.)

Watson
Try this:
Google for Ontario Ministry of Health
Home page appears: Enter INR monitoring into the search area.
Ten pages(screens) of document titles.
Open the first--No 1
This is a report to the Ontario Ministry of Health resulting from the POC Monitoring focus group that took place at the Toronto General Hospital--I was part of this group.
I'd print it and the second item on the list outlining the outcome of many years experience of POC home monitoring results compared to lab/vein draws.
Years ago when I wanted a monitor I printed info from around the world to help convince my GP POC is a viable option.
Even in Ontario,where doctors should know better home monitoring is in the dark ages.
Good luck, I know where you're coming from.

Lance - thanks for the info. For right now, mom doesn't want to pursue home testing so I don't need to take action but I am going to bookmark your comments should I need to go back to it in the future.

Latest posts

Back