My Jorney through Aortic Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam S.

I thought some of you might benefit from hearing about another persons journey through getting an Aortic Valve Replacement (AVR). Hear is my experience, now 11 days postoperative.
9/14/09 being completely a-symptomatic threw what is called an executive physical exam encoraged by my wife; lead me to a Dr. here in Miami where I live.
The vary first thing they did was an echo and then some sort of nuclear echo and then I went into a room with a treadmill. Dr. walks in closes the door and the first thing he says is why are you here? I explained, I was getting a baseline for the future because of family history. He then proceeds to explain my condition to me “Severe Aortic regurgitation with moderate to sever aortic stenosis”.

Obviously completely freaked-out and thinking this guy has been taking too much of his own drugs. I quite smugly told no one except my wife. Neither of us having any idea of the diagnosis , got home entered the diagnosis into the computer and out popped what I thought would be, nothing much. - HEART SURGERY “what – no way”?

Sept 21 – Almost all-direct family knows now
Sept 22 – 2nd opinion Cardiologist confirms diagnosis.
Sept 24 – Follow up apt with original cardio doc and local surgeon at UM here in Mia.
Sept 28 – 3rd opinion Local Surgeon confirms diagnosis.
Sept 30 – 4th opinion Local cardiologist confirms diagnosis.

At this point I have exhausted all my options so me and my wife talk about it extensively and decide we are going to pay for someone to tell me, that I don’t need surgery, so I contracted with a company called “Pinnacle care” I need strait answers, my answers.

Oct 14 – Arrived in Cleveland
Oct 15 – First Apt at Cleveland clinic met with a Dr. Had my pre-op echo, ECG, X-ray and 12-hour fasting blood work.
Oct-16 – “Cardiac Cath” "BTW this also sucked" cleared for (MINI-AVR)
Oct 17 – Met with operative staff and My Surgeon
Oct 18 – Had AVR procedure done, I still don’t @#!& believe it!!!

The next 4 days where difficult, I was not happy got A-Fib everything
I am on day 11 feeling and doing much better.
I Hope this helps one person!!!!
Adam

At least your fixed, and able to share this experience with us. I think its great that you had your surgery, and didnt wait too long. Good job!

Yea Adam, Sometimes life throws us some curveballs that we sure aren't ready for. The good thing though is that you had your heart fixed and now it's all gravy. Just take your time and get the rest you need to get better. Then look out world.
Thanks for the post. I'm sure it's gonna help someone out there is at this moment is saying the same thing you did.
SugarHoneyIceTeathis can't be happening too ME

Yep, believe it! It is always hard to hear the news, especially when you are not having symptoms. Glad you got squared away and got'r done. :) Best wishes for a happy and healthy new life.

Adam, join the club...I had not the first clue that anything was wrong with me until a routine physical exam, and now here I am on day #7 with a whole new aorta!

Besides the fact that I am not going to die suddenly of an aortic rupture, the good thing about this is that I now *know* my heart is in otherwise good shape, because someone went in there and took a look at it!

9/14/09 being completely a symptomatic.....

.....Oct 16 – Had AVR procedure done, I still don’t @#!& believe it!!!

]

Welcome Adam, it appears you got one helluva education over this four week period. Glad everything went well. Stick around this forum. You can get some good tips from a lot of people who have "been there, done that":).

Yeppers thanks for sharing with us. I was diagnosed with aortic insufficency at 15. Routine echos, children birthed, etc. Then with my 2nd child my gradient rose from a 58 to a 72. After I had her it went down to a 68 and the dr said it will probally keep going down. Well went this year for my routine echo and guess what now its 102 and surgery has to be done on me before the first of the year or I wont be here.

Yep life has thrown me a curveball as well and Im having my surgery on 11/13.

Hope all goes well for you and dont vanish...keep us updated on how you are doing.

if it had to happen your better off haveing it happen soon - instead of a long wait thinking about it.you will feel alittle better every day.Good luck.

Your wife did a very smart thing..... sent you for a complete physical and you did a very smart thing, you listened to her.

Happy you are safely 'over the mountain' as we call it and wish you a bump free recovery from here on. Let your body heal at its pace and don't rush your recovery. Follow doctors' orders. They really do know best.

Happy you found us. Lots of experienced people here happy to answer all questions.

Your wife did a very smart thing..... sent you for a complete physical and you did a very smart thing, you listened to her.

Just what I was thinking. Glad you got out of the state of denial. It took me about 10 years, but my husband was more on your schedule:rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your story--it's sure to help many!

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and, for those of you embarking on this jurney I would do it again in a secound. probably will need to in my lifetime again

Latest posts

Back