My friend

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

medtronic of borg

A month ago a good friend of mine who just by chance has the same Dx. I do, had a cardiac arrest and was defibulated and had a pacer implanted. Then yesturday I get a call she had another one because the pacer failed. They defib. again. So today I find out her ef is only 15% and they moved her to a lg. hosp. so a transplant team can evaluate her for a transplant. I am both sadened and have a strange empty feeling in my gut. I practiced a full Diamuku for. For those of you that do not know what that is, it is a hour long chant non-stop. She is listed in critical condition. I guess I am sharing all this because I need to. I will have to do some deep soul searching to figure out the why. I hope she lives!!!

Dear Medtronic-

That is very sad about your friend. It's is probably the best thing that she has been moved to a large facility and into the transplant unit. Joe's last hospitalization (31 days) landed him in the Transplant Unit of a large facility here. Not that he was a candidate for a transplant, but he was that sick. He was pretty close to having some kind of organ failure due to a combination of severe CHF, pulmonary hypertension and anemia. The care he got in that unit was superb and very intense, more than an ordinary ICU. He was bombarded with all sorts of tests and many different drugs were used. Gradually the right combination of drugs was put together and I watched in amazement when his symptoms slowly faded away.

Joe's been in the hospital a lot, but we've never seen a level of care like that, So I know that your friend will be having the best care available for her.

If it turns out that she needs a transplant, there are devices they can use now to help her heart pump better until the donor heart is available.

There is a level of care way above what we are ordinarily used to.

Your friend will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please do not lose hope. Modern medicine is sometimes amazing and miraculous.

There were several heart transplant patients who came back to visit their old unit while we were there and they looked well.

Medtronic,
I am so very sorry to hear about what your friend is going through right now. I don't know if there is much I can say right now that will be of any help, but I want you to know that I will definately be sending your friend all of my good thoughts and prayers. This is something that is very tough for you as well. We are all here for you if/when you need us.

Take Care!
Gail

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It is a scary time. I worked for many years with a gentleman who ended up needing a heart transplant. His health was severely compromised, and no heart was available. They implanted a left ventricular assist pump, which he was on for quite a long time, during which his general health improved some (hospitalized during this time). A good match was found, and he received a transplant. This was about three years ago, and he seems to be doing quite well now.

Modern cardiac medicine is truly amazing, and I believe there is a lot of hope for people in your friend's situation.

Before surgery, I had an ejection fraction nearly as bad (20 percent) but managed to get through surgery and recover.

Wishing your friend all the best,
--John

medtronic

medtronic

15% is very low for an EF. Sounds like she been through a lot.

Nancy's comment about the transplant unit has to make you feel a little better, they are use to working on patients who are in organ failure.

There isn't always an answer to "why" and if there is, it's not always what we want to hear. Keep strong, she'll probably look to you for support, since you share a common Dx.

Terry40

Med - I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I pray, as you do, that she will come through this. As we all know, we have a heart transplant member and the walk she had to take was no picnic. But it can be done and perhaps your friend will be able to be well, more or less, again. God bless

Medtronic, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. She is in the right place to get the best care possible, it sounds like. Like the others have said, don't lose hope!

All my best wishes for your friend....

Medtronic

Medtronic

I am so sorry to hear such tragic news. I will pray for your friend. Heart probems can get more complicated faster that modern medicine can help stop the problem. You keep hanging in there for your friend. Be sure to talk to the family also. And be sure to come in here. We will help you to have a shoulder to talk to. Take care.

Caroline
09-13-01
aortic valve replacement
St. Jude's valve

Medtronic,

Im so saddened to hear about your friend. I know its scary especialy since she has the same heart condition as you but that does not mean it will happen to you. Please believe we care for you and will be praying for you at this difficult time.

God bless you and keep you in peace at this time and best wishes go out to your friend. Im sending you a great big hug!

Med,

So sorry to hear about your friend and can only imagine how scary for you...you feel so helpless is these situations. Please know another prayer is added to those also being sent her way. And like the others said...keep us informed...we care and we can offer listening ears.

good news

good news

she has had her airway removed!!! hurray!!! we all know how much fun they are. But she can't speak yet. But is trying to write notes to her hubby. Yea! that indicates she is not scrambled. Yea!!! she is still in there and my guess is for a while.

Oh by the way Nancy thanks I needed to know that about the transplant units!!! And I have had three cardiac arrests way up in the mountains of montana when I was 12.

Latest posts

Back