My first home test!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiemember

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Well, I am three weeks out of surgery and this morning the postie delivered my home testing machine. In Australia at the moment you get one automatically with your St Jude valve - no extra cost - which is wonderful. So we watched all the instructions and I got my daughter (who is 17) to do the first fingerprick bit for me as I wanted to get enough blood. (I will eventually get confident enough to do it myself :D)

Anyway the result came back as 2.4 which is consistent with a test I had done at the local pathology so I must have done something right. I am aiming for a level of 2.5-3.5 so nearly there. They are still fiddling with my levels - Was originally too high on 3.8. Fluctuating between 3-5mgs - I have a feeling they will settle on 4mg.

Am very excited to have a home tester - feel like I have some of the power back in my own hands. If they can't get the levels right will be certainly drawing on the wonderful expertise on this forum. Good luck with your levels too Carole - have been following your story.!!!!

GREAT NEWS,automatically get a machine and have power!;)
You will enjoy it soooooo much....congratulations

zipper2 (DEB)

Congratulations!!! Sounds like Australia is several steps ahead of the US in understanding INR management.

Wow, that's awesome you get one with your valve! Good for you, I am jealous, but determined to get my own this year sometime... enjoy the freedom of home testing!

I've had my own home tester for about a month and oh what a blessing that is.
Not having to go to the clinic and have needles poked in my arms is a blessing in itself.
It takes some time to getting use to but it's great!!!:D
Congratulations on getting your home tester.

Australia is on the ball!!

Congratulations! And you will like home testing.
And you seem to be doing great for just 3 weeks from having surgery.

I've only done 8 home test and now kick myself for not starting home testing sooner. Probably still wouldn't had I not met Ross on another forum.

Wow. I wish St. Jude would just add in the cost of a tester and send it out to all patients with the valve. (It be great if they did it retroactively for, say, 18 years or so.)

Mark, I see your valve is almost the same age of mine. :)

My wife wanted me to buy a meter right after AVR. Sure could have used one for we traveled for several years after AVR in a motorhome.

Any new health plan that the President comes up with scares me. I was without insurance for several years before I became eligible for Medicare. I had retirement insurance but I had complications from AVR surgery and the cost exceeded my lifetime maximum.

Thanks everyone for your good wishes - it is great to share with people who actually "get" the excitement of home testing and the freedom and reassurance it brings!! Mark, good luck with getting all your supplies and starting your home testing. It did make me think this morning - Everyone who gets a valve here is getting the machines - I wonder how many are sitting across Australia not even being used - wish we could send the spares over to you!!!!

Look forward to chatting with you all more and I'm sure I'll be back with questions :D

BTW: Karlynn - our INR management seems to be a lot more conservative here - they only change the dosing after a few days and seem to only increase it very incrementally rather than huge swings.....will be interesting to see if I stabilise soon.... :)

Good luck with your tester Jeanne - is it a Coaguchek? Great that they are GIVING them out!!!!
I got my Coaguchek easily enough, the doctor actively helped me to get it but I had to pay...and the test strips aren't cheap. BUT I love the freedom it gives me, and if times get really tough I'll cut back on other things (like food, LOL:)) to make sure I can afford them.

Bridgette:)

Good luck with your tester Jeanne - is it a Coaguchek? Great that they are GIVING them out!!!!
I got my Coaguchek easily enough, the doctor actively helped me to get it but I had to pay...and the test strips aren't cheap. BUT I love the freedom it gives me, and if times get really tough I'll cut back on other things (like food, LOL:)) to make sure I can afford them.

Bridgette:)

Hi Bridgette,

I hadn't even thought to check the model but just had a look and it is an INRatio by Hemosense. Seems pretty easy to use - I got the first 12 strips free but have to pay for top ups but certainly can't complain :) I'm with you - I'll be cutting out a lot of other things before my home testing lol

Latest posts

Back