My first anniversary for aortic valve replacement and aorta replacement was Jan 14

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

aheminger

Besides the replacement of my aortic valve with a pig valve, I had most of my upper aorta replaced as well (enough that my surgeon needed to cool me down and turn off the heart lung machine for about 15 minutes) because of an aneurysm. I sort of forced myself to post this because I found myself reluctant to do it. It's uncomfortable to actually think about what I've been through and I'd rather pretend it was some minor procedure that was easily done. Of course, that's not the case. I've continued in cardio rehab, up until last month, when I had to have rotator cuff surgery. I'm now in physical therapy for that, but I plan to re-enter cardio rehab this week. Overall, I know I'm doing well and I've been able to return to work, but at times when I think about it, I still become frightened and discouraged. Still, I'm incredibly grateful for modern medicine, and for the skill of my surgical team.

Aheminger,
congratulations on your anniversary,you sure had alot on your plate
Glad you chose to post this afterall and not hold back,as its good to
vent ourselves as well as its over and slowly things will come together
for you,it can still be frightening afterwards for sure.
One day at a time is my goal when i feel frightened,we cant change what happened
but we sure can appreciate now,today and thank God your here to allow us to share
your 1st anniversary with you.I do wish you all the best in your return of your cardio
rehab this week,yes knowing modern medicine and skilled surgical teams are a BONUS

you have been through the mill my friend,hopefully you will get sorted,ive had my porky pig valve 2 yrs and it still puts the wind up me lol......

Congratulations on your first valversary!
I will celebrate #6 in June, and my feelings concerning my replacement are much more positive now than they were the first few years. I hope you find that as more times passes, you feel the same.

Thanks for your comments, and all of the others as well. I re-read my own post tonight, and I realize that getting it out on the website put a lot of it behind me. I do feel overwhelmed every now and then, but overall, life is very, very good. I feel very grateful for the capabilities of modern medicine, and happy with how this has all gone. I still have a standing offer to play a racquetball game with one of the PAs in my surgeon's office, but I'm not ready for that yet. Maybe by the end of the summer. And, if not, I'm still a very lucky guy.

The 1st year can be dificult. Congratulations on getting thru that one. You will find that the years will get easier and easier and, in time, you will be able to do whatever interests you.

Latest posts

Back