My Daughter's One Year Anniversary Is Coming Up!!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahsmom

Hello,

My daughter Hannah, had her aortic valve replaced last September with an adult sized (thank goodness) mechanical valve.

She has been doing wonderful! Has been back to dance and tumbling since the beginning of November. She does very well on her coumadin - it has been stable (around 2.8) since February.

We are scheduled to see her cardiologist tomorrow, so she can get a check up before school starts. I am, as usual, very anxious and nervous for tomorrow's appointment. I am terrified that something may have changed. Her activity level has remained, but she was asymptomatic prior to her surgery, so I am always afraid that I am missing something. She is only 11 years old and has an amazing attitude about the entire situation. I always try to remain positive and optimistic when it comes to her condition, as I don't ever want to bring her down, but inside I worry.

For those of you who have already hit this milestone and many more, I would love to hear some of your inspirational stories. I would also like to get an idea of what to expect after the one year mark. How often do you see your cardiologist? Her dr. mentioned hooking her up to a 24 monitor this time around, as she likes to do this with her patients around 1 year post op. Does anyone have any info/experience on this?

Thanks!

Hannahs Mom :)

Your a mom, of course you worry inside. Try to breath easy, I'm sure Hannah will be fine.
I see my cardio about once a year, sorry but I don't have any experience with a 24 hour monitor.

Congrats to Hannah on her 1st Anniversary, sounds like she's doing great.

Thank you Freddie!

I will send an update regarding her appointment. I appreciate your encouraging words - everyone on this site is an inspiration!

Great News!!! Everything went very wonderful for Hannah yesterday! Her EKG and ECHO were good. INR is still stable. We had a minor scare with her BP, it was kind of high when the nurse checked it. When her Dr came in she said she wanted to retake it...panic attack starting to set in at this point. Turns out the nurse was a new nurse...they took again 2 more times and all was good!

The monitor I was questioning before is a holter monitor, that she is going to have her wear for 24 hours this winter, so we did not have to that this time around.

We are feeling very blessed right now! :D

See, didn't I say everything would be okay? :biggrin2:

One thing to note about BP, sometimes called the 'white coat' syndrome. It happens when ones BP is a little high while sitting (anticipating) waiting in the doctors office. After a bit of small talk the BP comes down.

Heck I get exciting when the phone rings :biggrin2:

Congrats to Hannah :thumbup:

Thank you all very much! This website has been a lifesaver for me - I have definitely struggled with severe anxiety since last summer and this place helps tame it. So THANK YOU!!!

Sometimes the one year anniversary can be a bit nerve wracking...everything is still kind of new and fresh
in our minds, especially if a Mom is watching her child go through all of this. The Holter monitor is no big deal and
I have done it a few times. They can pick up PVCs and in my case a short run of SVT. No big deal.
If Hannah is back to her dancing class then she must be feeling good :) Best wishes to you both.

Hi! I am glad to hear that Hannah's checkup went well. My daughter Katie, now 10 years old, has had five heart surgeries. She had her mechanical valve (also small adult sized) implanted when she was four, so she just celebrated her 6th valversary this past summer. Katie is doing very well. Although she does fatigue a little faster than her friends, she is very active. Fortunately, her INR stays pretty stable with occasional dosage increases due to growth. She just started the fifth grade this week and is very excited about this school year. I hope this gives you hope for Hannah's future. Hugs. Janet

Hi Janet,

I have read many of your posts and you are always so positive and optimistic! I try my best, but I am sure as you know it's not easy.

How wonderful that Katie was able to get an adult valve at such a young age! That's amazing! I believe I read somewhere in other posts that Katie's most recent surgeon was Dr. Bove...if that's the case it appears our girls have another thing in common. He did Hannah's replacement and the man is just amazing. Such a confident, compasionate man!

As of now she appears to be keeping up with the other kids, but it's always hard to say since they all come in different shapes, sizes, etc.

Hannah had OHS at 4 as well...the first surgery they removed some of the thickened area in her left ventricle to relieve some of the stenosis. It's amazing what they have both endured in their young lives. They are so strong! I am so glad to hear that Katie is doing well after 6 years! I wish her the best in 5th. Hannah starts 6th grade next week and having a successful check up last week was a great way to jump start the year.

Thank you for posting! I hope to stay in touch with you in the future!

Kelly

Yes, Dr. Bove is our angel here on earth. He has performed the last four of Katie's surgeries. We sought out five surgical opinions after Katie's first one here at home, and once we met Dr. Bove we were sold. I used to e-mail him fairly frequently with questions and he would always get right back to me. Amazing, especially as busy as he is. Anyway................

THanks for the kind words. We will have to keep in touch. Good luck to Hannah this week with starting sixth grade. Many hugs. J.

Hannahsmom:
The first year post-op seems to be somewhat emotional to many of us. After you hit the first anniversary, it's all downhill from there, you might say. I'm sure that Hannah will have a great school year.

Janet:
Great to hear from you. Hope this year is a great school year for Katie. How's Trip?

Back