My dad has to have a heart cath.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcasey5

My Dad has been mildly short of breath for a while, and he finally went to see his cardio last Friday and is going in for a heart cath, and then a dye analysis scheduled for this Thursday and Friday. My parents live in rural Nova Scotia so they have to travel to get to the hospital. The good part is that the hospital is putting them up at a hotel after the heart cath because they don't want him any farther than 50 kilometers from the hospital for 48 hours. He is on warfarin for a-fib.

Makes me wonder about genetics and heredity.

Of course, we all know genetics certainly can play a role in our health but there is always the chance the 'bad' gene skipped you. It can and does happen. My father and his family had terrible heart histories and I inherited, however, my sister had fully healthy heart.

Wishing your Dad and you the best. Hope his cath goes well and he gets a good report.

I'm not so sure I'd be pinning it on heredity just yet. My guess is your dad is 60+, and stenosis/calcification is common with age. There could be other factors at work, too. What your dad is experiencing could be just this, rather than something genetic.

Just wait until the heart cath results are in.

I'll keep your dad and your family in my thoughts.

Thanks everyone!

He is 69 and otherwise in good health and very active. He is going to an excellent hospital with a great staff. Even though his condition wasn't an emergency, I am happy his cardio reacted so fast and got him in for tests in less than a week. Its kind of humbling thinking about what my parents went through when I had my AVR.

Latest posts

Back