My big day is now set...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T in YVR

Well, after initially being tested/diagnosed in Jan/13 and starting my journey shortly thereafter, I finally received a date for AVR surgery...September 24 at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver.

A weird range of emotions today: from relief (finally - the waiting is coming to an end!) to excitement (let's get this done and get on with life!) to apprehension (God, I hope this goes well) to WOW (this is really happening)...and a few others in between. This journey certainly gives one the opportunity to reflect on life - past, present and future - and to always focus on what's important, and to cherish what you have.

I figure I've done what I can to prepare...working out most days every week, dropped 20 lbs, ironically feeling pretty good, staying positive, have read and researched AVR as much as I realistically can, and had most of my pressing questions answered. All that's left is some pre surgery tests in 10 days and a trip the OR for my very own On-X valve...

I'm looking forward to getting this behind me and hopefully posting about my successful surgery...thanks for all the support/insight to everyone on this board - its truly been invaluable.

Tony

Good luck Tony, will send positive vibes your way on the 24th. My surgery day is actually before yours, 09/12/13 (ascending aortic aneurysm repair). We'll have to compare notes on the other side!

Tony,

We're the same age, and I just had my AVR done on August 12th. I had the same emotions going into my surgery, and finally it was game on! It's just over 3 weeks and I feel really good. My prayers are with you, your family, and your physicians. I truly believe you will be amazed at how quickly you will heal. Obviously there will be some restrictions due to the surgery, but I have found a new passion for walking. I wish you the very best and will be praying for you. Many Blessings!

Tony - we are Canadian surgery buddies. My surgery date is the same as yours! I will try to think of you across that big prairie when they wheel me in in Toronto and send you some good vibes. You are not alone, theres another Canuck in their forties goin thru the exact same thing as you. I too am sharing all those same emotions. Some days I am thankful and joyous that i can get fixed and that soon i will be on the road to recovery. Then some days i am scared shitless. But before we know it the mountain will be behind us and we will be asking how long till we can go to a football game..... ( Seahawks notwithstanding LOL might as well with ur CFL bein the Lions Go Argos! )

I really will think of you in 3 weeks my friend. I will post as soon post op as i can manage and will be looking to see how you're doin.

Thanks for all the wishes!

It's encouraging to hear so many of you are recovering so nicely. It makes me more determined than ever to kick this thing in the ass and get to the other side in good shape.

ShellBell - all the best for your surgery on the 24th - Canada Day on VR.org! :)

Tony

Just when I thought I was about to get to the 'other side', they delay my surgery.....its due to other patients that are deemed to be critical (or more urgent than me). My surgeon has been on call a bit lately and getting several of these high priority people. So I get bumped. I completely understand why - and I feel for the other people - but it doesn't make it any less frustrating. You get so ready for your date and then - wham! - 'take a # , we'll let you know when'.

The date is TBD....wonderful. They said it should be soon - likely in October. The surgeon is supposed to be top notch but his assistant is driving me nuts. She told me "if I was more critical I would be bumping others". That's just the situation anyone would want to avoid. I told her I don't want to be critical! I want you to treat me while I'm younger and otherwise healthy. She also told me 'I sounded fine'....yeah, sure, that's how they diagnose this...

The Canadian health care system has its pros and cons. And one of those cons has to do with potential surgical wait times....Aarrgh.

When I got out of ICU I was put into a room with another guy who was supposed to have the same surgery the day after mine. He had already been there for 3 weeks since his cardio said that his condition was severe enough that they couldn't let him leave the hospital. The day he was supposed to go in, the OR got tied up because of complications with another surgery (don't know what kind it was) so he ended up having to sit there for another week not knowing when it was going to happen. Finally, on the day I left the hospital he was told that he would be going in the next day. I don't know exactly where I was going with this story, but I guess it's just to say that it happens? Anyway, good luck! My anniversary is October 4th, so maybe that'll be the new VR.org Canada day... in which case screw the Argos. Go Ti-Cats! :p

I feel your frustration Tony, the wait times is the biggest cons with our health system. Although I think I was one of those who "bumped" the others.
I was put on what I thought was the waiting list on a Monday then in 72 hours I was getting the pre-op tests done with surgery the next day (which was a Friday).

Try not to get frustrated and relax and enjoy the fall weather, but stay on top of your surgeon to get another date - do't leave it up to him/them to contact you, you don't want to get 'lost' in the paper work.

Cheers

From one Tony to another: Good Luck! Looks like today is the big day! I'm a bit envious, I'm looking forward to having my surgery done and over with. I'll be getting the On-X valve as well. Interested to see your recovery. Check out my blog for some hospital bed reading: http://www.robovalve.wordpress.com/

Hi,t in YVR and all
My mitral and aortic need replacement I'm very worried, because I have two valves wante replacement, perhaps a relatively of difficulty I'm live in LA bud I do not know those doctors and hospitals in LA surgery have more experience, I hope you can give me a introduction.thank you

Man, the waiting is the pits. Try to relax and enjoy life until your time comes. We will all be here if you need us.

AVR May 23, 2013. On-x 21mm valve. Dr. Glenn Barnhart, Swedish Medical, Cherry Hill location, Seattle, WA. 53 year old female, in the waiting room 10 years.

Latest posts

Back