My AVR Experience

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stopper

I tried to journal my experience throughout this week. I really hope that it can encourage someone.

I went into surgery around 2:30pm on Monday August 12, and my family was able to see me at 8:30. I don't remember that at all. I had AVR and my aortic root replaced. My first memory occurred 1 1/2 hours later when my breathing tube was removed. That was quick and not as bad as I thought it would be. I didn't feel to bad that night, although I begged for ice. My nurse Annette, was amazing and by 5 am it was time to stand and try to sit in a chair. I was very nervous about this. I got up easily, but that's about it. I closed my eyes, had my head down, and felt like I was going to faint. I laid back on my bed and quickly felt better. I received a great sponge bath around 8 am that really set the tone for the day. Around 10 am I got in the chair, but quickly felt bad again. So it was back to bed again. An hour later the therapy team came in, and I made the chair. For some reason keeping my eyes open and head up really helped. I sat for about and hour, had half a sandwich and some soup. I then met the np for my surgeon who removed my chest tubes and arterial lines. The chest tube was a little tough coming out, and I would say it was not real comfortable. Shortly there after, my foley was removed, it was quick with a slight burn. I was able to get up several times that afternoon, and had a quality short walk. Overall the pain wasn't too bad, I just always took meds when they were allowed. The pain itself is more pressure than anything else. I have a pericardium rub that isn't real comfortable, but the nurses have shared that this occurs to some patients. I also am having some arrhythmia's, which also is common. I slept pretty well Tuesday night, off and on for about 9 hours. It wasn't a solid sleep, but my eyes were closed and I wasn't allowing anything to get me upset.

Wednesday - so far so good. I still don't have pain like I expected, it is more like pressure. I am requesting meds as often as I am aloud to keep a handle on this. I am scheduled to walk 4 times today, and my first trek was 440 feet. Being 47 years old, in descent shape helps. I am suppose to get the line out of my neck today. They said that it is not painful at all. I really don't know how to compare this to other people's journeys, but I can say Dr. Douthit and his team at Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland, CO have been a blessing. My appetite is fully back, and the food has been very good. I do have a lot of swelling in my ankles, so I am trying to keep my feet up more.

Wednesday pm had the pacer wires and central line removed. The process was easy and did not hurt. The only thing that was uncomfortable was laying flat on my back. Not a big fan of the pressure. My boys came and visited this afternoon, and my wife and I will eat dinner together tonight. We asked our friends and family not to visit at the hospital, and that's been so good to not have to entertain.

Wednesday night I slept really well, and woke up to a great shower. Unfortunately I soon went into a-fib. I felt very weak, and the sensation was my heart was beating through the back of my throat. I took a bolus of amiorderone, and now I am on a slow drip. My HR was as high as 158, and now is bouncing in the 90's to 110. I had a great man once tell me " nobody ever said its going to be easy". I will get over this, and start making great progress again. Also, I have had very little chest pain today.

Thursday I remained in a-fib for about 6 hours. Coming out of it I was pretty drained. The rest of the afternoon has been uneventful. I guess thats the best way. Hoping for a good night sleep tonight, and a great day tomorrow.

Friday, well the dreaded sore back came to life last night. That being Said it wasn't my greatest night sleep. I also had issues with my vein from the amiorderone. Ice and a little time, and this should be fine soon. I feel so blessed from the support I have received from my wife and boys. Life is good. I had a good walk earlier in the day,and looking forward to at least three more today. Hopefully I will be discharged tomorrow, and looking forward to getting my home heal on. The staff here has been great, not a bad view looking at the Rocky Mountains. What I am finding is that every situation we have a choice on how we handle it. I feel the more positive I can be, the better I will respond. Pain wise as been very mild the past two days. Deep breath are challenging, but I'll battle through it.

Saturday hasn't started well. My gut is really upset and I am noxious. By late afternoon i was told I would not be returning home today. I still had some arrhythmia and i also have some fluid on my pericardium. I am saddened with the thought of another night in the hospital bed.

Sunday - I didn't sleep well again, but did find it somewhat restful. My stomach feels much better, and my walking is going great. My appetite isn't great, but much better than yesterday. I will be discharged this afternoon, and am really excited to go home. i was treated by an amazing staff, and looking forward to getting my heal on.

I am putting this together at 1 am, obviously not sleeping well. But if I can't sleep, I won't stress over it. My valve is loud and I know in time I will get used to this.

Sounds like a reasonably smooth trip.

Glad that more people are doing this. Had I found this place in 2011 I'd have done the same.

Best wishes :)

Congrats on your success Stopper.

I am 3 weeks post op today and I can tell you that as time goes on and as more fluid regulates in the pericardium it will get quieter. I'm sure some of this is also your mind getting used to it being a normal noise. I can still hear mine but I have to listen for it. It is kinda cool that you can now take your pulse without having to find it on your wrist or neck:)

Also beware the after affects of the heart/lung machine. I was told it's common to have night sweats, hot/cold flashes, and bad dreams for 3 weeks post op.

I hope all continues to go well.

Thank you for the detailed posting. I am going in for the second time on Seotember12, and remember a lot of the things you talked about. Justin is right about the after effects of the heart/lung machine. I had horrible hot flashes, nightmares, and trouble with my vision. Keep us posted on how you're doing, here's to a speedy recovery!

Hope your recovery at home is positive and problem free. We are here for you. Sleep didn't really come for me for about 5 weeks post op. Take care of yourself and remember to breath and walk!

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking it is a pretty smooth recovery so far as well, not much has happened that I had not heard about. It is funny that when I sleep right now , it comes in about sixty minute segments. I then need to get up and move a little bit because my back and shoulders get real sore. Overall, I know I am a blessed man, and I am inspired by you experiences and knowledge.

Steve

Just wanted to share a minor setback, but I am feeling really good now. On day eleven post surgery, I went in for an echo. Unfortunately the fluid around my heart had not diminished, so they readmitted me. The next morning I went into the cath lab where my cardiologist inserted a tube into the pericardium space to drain the fluid. He pulled out just over 1 liter, and allowed it to drain. That day I was not allowed out of my bed till that evening, and by morning I had accumulated another.8 liters. I had another echo in the morning, and there was still a large quantity of fluid around my heart. The fluid was around different areas of the heart that were compartmentalized and so they took me back into the cath lab to readjust the tube. Putting the tube in really did not hurt either time, but I'm sure the medicines they gave me helped significantly. Once again after cath lab I was in bed for 8 hours before I could get up. The next morning another echo, followed by the tube being pulled. That hurt a little bit, but I was shocked to see how long the tube actually was. Overall they pulled 2.3 liters off my heart. There is still some fluid around my my heart, but after another 24 hours and another echo, they discharged me with the hopes that the fluid won't accumulate any more, I have an echo in a week to see. If it does accumulate, I will be readmitted for a small procedure. Overall I feel really good, my walking is good, my appetite is too good, and my energy level is pretty high. Although this was a setback, I feel blessed that a great team of doctors and nurses took very good care of me, and I got to know many of them much better.

Latest posts

Back