Music....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

As some of you may have noticed, I tend to quote songs at the end of some of my posts.... For me, music is something I "turn to" to "help out" at different times in life.... Cars (particularly my Chevrolet Monte Carlos) also help, but just curious to know if anyone else "listens" to music to help them.....

Here are some of my favorite quotes....

"Why can't that be me?" ... 3 Doors Down ... 'If I Could Be Like That'

"I?m only pretty sure that I can?t take anymore" ... 3rd Eye Blind ... 'How's It Going To Be'

"I'm just out to find the better part of me" ... 5 For Fighting ... 'Superman'

"There's no better time than today" ... 9 Days ... 'Good Friend'

"Who's gonna hold me tonight?" ... Trace Adkins ... 'Help Me Understand'

"Something's wrong in the world today" ... Aerosmith ... 'Living On The Edge'

"I know I told you that I could survive" ... Deborah Allen ... 'Baby I Lied'

"You probably won?t remember me" ... Jan Arden ... 'Insensitive'

"It's hard to tell if I exist" ... Barenaked Ladies ... 'Pinch Me'

"Maybe it's my imagination" ... Bee Gees ... 'Alone'

"I want to say that I apologize" ... Bellamy Brothers ... 'Forget About Me'

"I'm feeling more alone than I ever have before" ... Ben Folds 5 ... 'Brick'

"We've misplaced feelings that we used to know" ... John Berry ... 'Standing On The Edge Of Goodbye'

"I got a funny feeling we missed a page or 2 somehow" ... Suzy Boggus ... 'Cinderella'

"I should've drove all night" ... BonJovi ... 'Misunderstood'

"Heaven knows how long it's been since I felt so out of place, wondering if I'll fit in" ... Garth Brooks ... 'Learning To Live Again'

"Just what kind of love keeps breaking a heart?" ... Brooks & Dunn ... 'Long Goodbye'

"Where have you gone?" ... Glen Campbell ... 'Still Within The Sound Of My Voice'

"I'm going to make it to heaven" ... Irene Cara ... 'Fame'

"Just when I think that I can make it without you, you come around & say you want me now" ... Rosanne Cash ... 'I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me'

"In the rush I hear a voice, it's telling me it's time to take a leap of faith" ... Steven Curtis Chapman ... 'Dive'

"Wherever you go, I'll be with you" ... Cheap Trick ... 'The Flame'

"Did I tell my friends how much they mean to me?" ... Kelly Coffey ... 'At The End Of The Day'

"There's so much I need to say to you" ... Phil Collins ... 'Take A Look At Me Now / Against All Odds'

"After so many dreams have fallen through, it's time that 1 came true" ... Earl Thomas Conley ... 'Nobody Falls Like A Fool'

"Tell me why are we so blind to see that the ones we hurt are you & me" ... Coolio ... 'Gangsta's Paradise'

"There's things goin' on make me mad down to the core" ... Charlie Daniels ... 'Simple Man'

"Put off today what you can do tomorrow, sometimes you don?t do the thing" ... Diamond Rio ... 'In A Week Or 2'

"You were history with the slamming of the door" ... Celine Dion ... 'It's All Coming Back To Me Now'

"Don't look now, things just got worse" ... Dog's Eye View ... 'Everything Falls Apart'

"My arms are wide open & will always be" ... Emerson Drive ... 'Fall Into Me'

"I see our time has gotten stale" ... Eve 6 ... 'Inside Out'

"Time will heal the pain" ... Exile ... 'Even Now'

"I'm gonna do all the things that I've never done" ... FFH ... 'One Of These Days'

"Done & I'm onto the next 1" ... Foo Fighers ... 'All My LIfe'

"Waiting to be mended like a potter would mend a broken vase" ... Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers ... 'Broken Lady'

"I don't need anyone" ... Crystal Gayle ... 'Nobody Wants To Be Alone'

"You were never really ever here" ... Goo Goo Dolls ... 'Here Is Gone'

"There must be a reason for this pain I?m going through, telling me I?m not where I belong" ... Merle Haggard ... 'A Better Love Next Time'

"I just turned around & there's nobody there" ... Heart ... 'Stranded'

"I didn't mean to take away your dreams" ... Hootie & The Blowfish ... 'Only Lonely'

"Nothing that I can do to make you change your mind" ... Hubastank ... 'Why Are You Running Away?'

"Tears like rain fill up the sky, oh my love, I'm not letting go" ... Jars Of Clay ... 'Fly'

"Maybe pretty much always means no....nobody likes to be let down" ... Jack Johnson ... 'Flake'

"Chances that a fool takes, never knowing when to stop" ... Johnny Lee ... 'You Could've Heard A Heart Break'

"I missed a million miles of fun" ... Len ... 'Steal My Sunshine'

"I kept everything inside" ... Linkin Park ... 'In The End'

"Those might be the best days we will ever know, but we'll have to leave them in the past" ... Little Texas ... 'What Might've Been'

"I don't know where we'll go, but it beats where we're at" ... Lonestar ... 'What About Now'

"All the places I have yet to go; I'm looking forward to tomorrow" ... Luce ... 'Good Day'

"How do we explain something that took us by surprise?" ... Richard Marx ... 'Hold Onto The Nights'

"I must be lonely" ... Matchbox 20 ... '3 am'

"I know you can hear me, but I'm not sure you're listening" ... Martina McBride ... 'Whatever You Say'

"How could I be so blind?" ... Charly McClain ... 'Who's Cheating Who'

"Back in 1876 an old boy named Bell invented a contraption that we know so well" ... Reba McEntire ... 'Why Haven't I Heard From You?'

"A little vacation, ain't asking very much" ... Tim McGraw ... 'All I Want Is A Life'

"Don't let your life pass you by" ... Sarah McLachlan ... 'I Will Remember You'

"Got a lead foot down on my accelerator" ... Jodee Messina ... 'Bye Bye Bye'

"Some people work just to survive, but up here in this cab, that's when I'm most alive" ... Ronnie Milsap ... 'Prisoner of the Highway'

"Lately I've been thinking I should move away" ... Eddy Money ... 'I'll Get By'

"There's a place for memories, a time for moving on" ... Gary Morris ... 'Don't Look Back'

"I've always seen myself as a hopeless romantic" ... Gary Morris & Crystal Gayle ... 'Another World'

"It's kinda like Nashville, with a tan" ... Shawn Mullins ... 'Rockabye'

"I never meant to leave you alone" ... Michael Martin Murphy ... 'Don't Count The Rainy Days'

"But those days are gone, something went wrong" ... Anne Murray ... 'Time Don't Run Out On Me'

"That's the price that we all pay, our valued destiny comes to nothing" ... New Order ... 'True Faith'

"I can?t stop driving...so many questions, I need the answers" ... New Radicals ... 'Someday We'll Know'

"Never thought you'd be the one in the darkness now" ... Juice Newton ... 'Old Flame'

"There's no such thing as hopeless, if you believe" ... Joe Nickels ... 'The Impossible'

"These 5 words in my head scream, are we having fun yet" ... Nickelback ... 'This Is How You Remind Me'

"Someday tomorrow will smile" ... Oak Ridge Boys ... 'Dream On'

"I hope you remember me" ... Our Lady Peace ... 'Somewhere Out There'

"I hope that you find love along the way" ... Brad Paisley ... 'I Wish You'd Stay'

"Where do you begin?" ... Dolly Parton ... 'Starting Over Again'

"Everything is so messed up" ... Puddle of Mud ... 'Blurry'

"I'm testing my resistance & it's wearing mighty thin" ... Eddie Rabbitt ... 'Every Which Way But Loose'

"Life has been patiently waiting for me" ... Rascal Flatts ... 'I'm Moving On'

"Promise me you'll stop in to see an old friend" ... Rascal Flats ... 'These Days'

"Without you, I'm not me" ... Colin Raye ... 'Little Rock'

"I want a moment to be real, want to touch things I don't feel, want to hold on & feel I belong" ... John Resnick ... 'I'm Still Here'

"Don't tell me in time I'll forget her, that's not true" ... Restless Heart ... 'I Want Everyone To Cry'

"Every hands a winner & every hands a loser" ... Kenny Rogers ... 'The Gambler'

"Can you believe what a year it's been, are you still the same?" ... Savage Garden ... 'I Don't Know You Anymore'

"It hurts to feel like such a fool" ... Dan Seals ... 'Addicted'

"I'm thinking it over anyway" ... Duncan Sheik ... 'Barely Breathing'

"I know there?s so much more to life" ... Vonda Shepard ... 'Searchin' My Soul'

"I need to get away from this place" ... Smashmouth ... 'All Star'

"So tired that I couldn't even sleep" ... Soul Asylum ... 'Runaway Train'

"Do you remember me, too?" ... Stereo Fuse ... 'Everything'

"No one's there to talk or understand" ... Sugar Ray ... 'Falls Apart'

"I'm dying inside" ... The Tony Rich Project ... 'Nobody Knows'

"Things have changed since you've been gone" ... Pam Tillis ... 'Land Of The Living'

"I?m not afraid things won?t get better, but it feels like this has gone on forever" ... Toad The Wet Sprocket ... 'Good Intentions'

"I'm in a state of confusion, I hope things aren't what they seem" ... Travis Tritt ... 'Tell Me I Was Dreaming'

"I get a little bit nervous that the best of all the years have gone by" ... Bonnie Tyler ... 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'

"Something is wrong here, I don't belong here" ... Uncle Cracker ... 'In A Little While'

"There comes a time when we heed a certain call" ... USA For Africa ... 'We Are The World'

"I'm doing better than I thought I would" ... Wallflowers ... 'When You're On Top'

"Just for a moment I held you too close, now I?m all out of time & I don?t want to let go" ... Steve Wariner ... 'The Weekend'

"Don?t you knock on my door, I won?t be home anymore" ... Jennifer Warnes ... 'I Know A Heartache When I See 1'

"The only thing changing is my way of thinking" ... Dottie West ... 'A Lesson in Leaving'

"I kept my heart hidden" ... Bryan White ... 'So Much For Pretending'

"I'm walking down the lonely street of dreams, going down the only road I've ever known" ... Whitesnake ... 'Here I Go Again On My Own'

"I'm a little nervous, not sure if I shoulda put it in writing" ... Chely Wright ... 'Single White Female'

"I ain't up to being strong now" ... Wynonna ... 'Is It Over Yet'

Peace...Always,
Cort Stevens...pig's valve & pacemaker-enhanced 29/swm
Instant Messengers...AOL="fc72mc"...Yahoo="knightfan2691"
member, Faith COB, Batavia IL http://www.faithcob.org
My Chevy MC Family & Story = http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/cort
G1=1970-1972...72
G2=1973-1977...76
G3=1978-1980...79
G4=1981-1988...81
Ga=1995-1999...uh, no
Gb=2000-2004...00 ****FOR SALE****
G5=2005-200?...05...SS, wanted w/V8 & RWD
RIP: 1976=Parents' [my] car ... 1988=Silver Bullet
*****WANTED: 87 MC LS*****
http://www.aros.net/~rbuck/mcspotter/

music-

I never drive any distance without the radio on unless I am listening to a cd.

I believe that people who create music and people that appreciate music are capable of lifting their emotions and passions to a higher plane and it is a gift of immense proportion.

I do not keep track of it all, but I enjoy the best in all forms---rock, country, pop and yes, even opera.

I have enjoyed the emotion of an Elvis song, the passion of Mellisa Etheridge and groups such as the Everly bros., and the Beatles.
I love it when a favorite comes to a movie---ex. Cher, in chances are--she wore blue velvet---Remember the movie Ghost--I loved the scene with Demi making pottery with the background music
by the Rightious bros.
I love Jude by the beatles--I could go on and on, but you see I do love music.
:) :) :) :)

Cort and Ram, I also love a wide variety of music. My interests go the range from Dixieland Jazz to Ragtime Piano and bands to classical, country and rock. It is such a wide range that it drives my wife batty (just ask her, why don't you. . . ).

I use music, or my instinctive desire or lack of desire for it as a barometer of my mental state. For example, when I first received my diagnosis of AS, there was a period of several weeks during which I never turned on the car radio. I was in such emotional pain that I couldn't appreciate the music. Over the last week or so, with the help of all the friends (and yes, family) here, the music has been turned back on.

Once I'm a bit more solidly centered, Cort, we can swap lists of our personal "songs of meaning."

The fact is, I like my music so much and so loud, that if my car radio can't flap my pants legs or make my ears bleed, it isn't a finished product yet. Kilowatts forever!

SteveE

Hubby is the Music loving one

Hubby is the Music loving one

Would rock our 10 year old grandson to sleep with opera on. Pavratti sp?..Keeps the Mexican station out of Gainesville, Ga. on full blast in the basement. has a Bose ..turns on when I leave the bedroom..I like the Oldie Goldie station from Atlanta. Driving I like NO radio on..Just enjoy the beautiful North Georgia Mountains, rivers, streams, pastures, trees, ect..and watching out for all the young studs driving Monte Carlos.:p :p :p We have a curve every 100 ft...and lots of stupid tourist from Atlanta..:eek: :eek: :eek: Bonnie

Music

Music

Hi Cort

I liked reading your music list, must confess that I did not know some of the artists,

I do know the Goo Goo Dolls as my son has a lot of there stuff he has lots of CD,s imported from the USA. He also likes a band called Jolene who are from Carolina.

I like lots of music but my favourite is Bruce Springsteen
We have be listening to him since the 70,s
he never became popular in the UK until 1984 atfer " Born in the USA " was realeased.
many of the Springsteen lyrics are really meaningful.

We have tickets to see him in Manchester in May we are so looking forward to it

keep smiling

Jan ( Liverpool )

Ram...I am the same way...radio is always on in the car. Sadly enough, my '76 still has the original AM radio...need to change that soon...when funds allow...;).

Steve...I'd like that...to swap "songs of meaning" list...I have a huge list.... :). For the most part, I've found that the radio (other than my cars) is what I turn to the most when I'm sad/depressed/lonely. In fact, when my ex dumped me last April, that was about the exact same time that Trace Adtkins released "Help Me Understand" (quoted in my original post)...and that really hit home. Don't get me wrong...music helps in good times, too...just seems that most-often it's the music that "speaks" when I can't....and that's why I quote songs in my posts...b/c I know there are other things I want to say, but can't put them into words...so I let the music do the talking....if that makes any sense ;).

Bonnie...I laughed hysterically when I read about watching for "young studs driving Monte Carlos" in your post ;). Hmmmm...mebbe I should plan a trip to Georgia sometime...he he he... I needed that today...perhaps more than you know...thank you :).

Jan...that sounds great that you'll get to see Bruce Springsteen :). Have fun :).

Cort

Cort

We have MANY beautiful young southern belles looking for men driving Muscle Cars...:cool: :cool: :cool: Come on down. Bonnie

Hey Cort,

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have music. I listen to it continuously, I have to. Life would be so boring without it.

I also enjoy a wide variety of musical styles. I think theres something good in every type of music...well almost every type of music. I'll make mixed cds with easy listening, followed by heavy metal, followed by disco. It really doesn't matter to me.

I just love music.

Almost forgot. . .

Almost forgot. . .

Bonnie - How could I forget? When I mentioned to Cort that I had often visited Jackson, TN., I should also have mentioned that for about 2-3 years I was an "honorary" resident of Gwinett County, GA. (just up northeast of Atlanta). What a wonderful place! We almost moved corporate headquarters down there, and I would have happily moved with my job. Company got sold, though, and I lost touch with my second home.

Now I'm starting to realize some of the "other" reasons why I feel at home, here.

To all the southerners I've met (and those I have missed meeting), thank you for all the warm hospitality shown to me over the years of visits!

SteveE

I love music, I never drive without it. It drove me nuts when my parents were here because I couldn't have my stereo on when driving. I have so many stereos in my house now it is rediculous. I have one stereo, and on top of that one, yet another one! I listen to Jimmy eat world, lifehouse, third eye blind, stained, audioslave, metallica, american pie two soundtrack, eve 6, and tons of other bands. Kevin and I don't always agree on our music, but then again, each person has different tastes. I use it alot when I am feeling down. When I first found out about my RF, I would sit in the dark and listen to Yellow, by Coldplay. My husband used to listen to that when they didn't know if I would make it or not. It's sort of special to me now.

"Look at the stars, the color shines for you....and all the things that you do....and they were called yellow, You came along, I wrote a song for you .......----You know I love you sooo, much"-Part of the lyrics for Yellow.

Knightfan

Knightfan

You like a large variety of music, me too, I love Classical and showtunes also.

At rehab the gave me some relaxation tapes, I've even enjoyed listening to them, but I enjoy singing along with my favorite, my kids would always share there new CDs with me, to see if I liked this "new group" if I did, they would burn me a copy of my favorites.

Though I was the one that introduced my kids to Sarah Mclaughlin, I had heard her song on a low-budget movie and fell in love with it, before fame.

I think music is a great stress reliever, don't you???

Terry40

Last edited:
Tid Bits

Tid Bits

My children always tell me..Mom, you are full of tidbits..but to Cort and Bunny..Looked at your birthdays..Bunny...Sept. 8, 1973..Cort..Sept. 19, 1973.......Steve. My children live in Hall County. Son is a policeman in Lawrenceville.and with Gwinnett Sheriff's Dept. Oh yes, you would have loved it..Lake Lanier and Mountains North. We just went skiing Sunday (son and grandson)I sat in warm sunshine with that blue sky above. This was in SkyVally, Ga.

Thanks for the comprehensive music list, and thanks for including AnnandNancy. I did wonder what effect their "Wild Child" had on my heart when I was still driving to rehab...

I love music!

I love music!

I really enjoy listening to music and it is a big part of my life. In fact, my husband is in a band with his cousin and a female singer. Most Friday and Sat. nights I am one of the "groupies" (although I do have difficulty with staying up so late). They play mostly easy listening such as Eagles, Beatles, and some newer songs too such as No Doubt, Pink, etc.
Here is a photo of my favorite band.

Oops

Oops

Let's see if this works--OK, now how do I make this smaller?

healing in music

healing in music

I am one of those people who has to have music on most all the time. One of my favorite days of the week is when I get up about 6:00am, load the CD player with 5 CDs, blast the music and clean. My husband complains when he gets in my car and starts it and I havn't turned the radio down. As I sit here right now my Dell Jukebox is on and loaded with a variety of music. I have Geoorge Strait (country), Rod Stewert (soft rock), REM (rock), Johney Lang (blues), the Gaithers (gospel), Percy Sledge (soul) and many, many more. I also love to sing. I was born to sing. The only problem is that I'm tone deaf:eek: :eek: . I feel sorry for the people who sit in front of me at church. See, I love to sing and I love to praise through song :) :) . I figure by the time it gets to Gods ears I sound like an angel:D :D . I was cleaning house the other day and doing what I always do and my husband came downstairs and just started laughing at me. There I was scrubbing my kitchen floor with long blue rubbergloves and my vollyball knee pads on to protect my knees singing along with the Gaithers gospel group. He said upstairs he heard this beautiful music and then this howling sound started.:eek: :eek: Oh well we can't all be Celine. Seriously, when I lost my mom and dad when I was 14 it was music that got me through. Each and every time there has been something profound that has happened in my life, music has had some roll in it. I think I have a true passion for it. I once told my daughter that if you love to read and love music you will never be bored. To me it is a healer.

Wow....my family seems to keep getting bigger ;). [I believe, Steve, that is kinda what you were referring to about realizing some of the other reasons you feel at home "here"...?...mebbe, mebbe not....not quite sure....]

Bonnie...as soon as I can drive again ... he he he....course, there is something called "work" that I'll have to go back to...not looking forward to that... :(. And...interesting catch on the birthdays ;).

Bunny....you said it...life would be BORING without music :). Heh...not quite sure what I'd do with my time ;).

Joy...I know that Coldplay song...Yellow...that one grew on me...I do like it, now, tho :).

Terry...yes, music is a great stress reliever, even when the music is "stressful"...LOL. And, actually, my "variety" of musical tastes has just been within the last 10 years or so. I grew up only on country music. Then, in the mid-1990s or so when I was in college, the country stations "forgot" the older songs...the artists I grew up with. So, I "abandoned" [hmmm...what goes around comes around? :(] country music for a while...and started listening to other music...and realized that, in a way, the music is all the same...just different styles...different melodies...etc... Then, within the last year or so, I've gone back to listening to country music stations...because they are starting to play the older "stuff" once again...and, because some of the newer stuff is just as good......

Gisele...very cool :). Sounds like a great group to be involved with ;). My cousin was in a band while he was in college...I went down for their CD release party...and had a blast. One of the guys wrote a song about the Oklahoma City bombing....entiled "Oklahoma Mournings"....darn good song....

Pegne...saw yer post after I posted this initially...LOL. Just wanted to say that I think you and I would get along just fine... I *love* to blast my music ;)....drives people crazy...but, when I hear a song that I like and/or that means a lot to me....I have to have it UP ;)

Last edited:
hi cort!
how can anyone not love music?????
i grew up in the caribbean and was exposed to a great variety of music, from raggae to salsa, and more.
joey was a "hippie" and loved any "cool" music (still has his old records and mine_ LP 33's).
our kids loooove music and are forever burning cd's for us, for their friends, for everyone.
joey likes it LOUD, as do my girls. i like it a little more soothing and quieter, until a song comes on that i love and then, as you said, it has to be turned up.
i crack up each time i get into my car and i know who's driven it before me based on the station and the volume!
if it sounds good, i like it. what i love most about music is that when you hear songs they bring back associated times in your life_good and bad. i love that feeling.
they have such a strong imprint, it's amazing isn't it?
my youngest brother was in a band and wrote his own music (rock and jazz) for years. my dad wanted him to do more though and they knocked heads. he now lives in holland. still plays his guitar_ such a shame, he is so talented.
hope you're all well out there.
-sylvia

Hi
Music is just about the only thing that is keeping me sane as the count down to my op. progresses.

I've just received a letter from the hospital to come for a pre-op MRI Scan, which includes the invitation "Please feel free to bring a CD of your choice to listen to during the Scan"
Any suggestions... it would have to be something that would help me lie still for an hour and not want to tap my foot or sing along. A difficult remit.

I have to be careful what music I play in the car as there are definitely some tunes that bypass my brain and cause my foot to push down on the gas.... "It's not me officer, it's the music!"
Also I can't understand how people can work with background music on. I've tried it but end up not working and just loosing myself in the music. .... No good at multi-tasking I suppose.

O.K I admit it, I'm also a bit of an (sh)amateur folk/world music fiddle player, (I've very tollerant neighbours), and love playing all sorts of style of music Celtic, Scandinavian, Eastern European, Klezmer, Arabian, French, American old time, etc, etc....are there any other musicians out there?

One of my current favourite lyrics " Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." (Leonard Cohen)

Richard L :eek:

Wow, Cort, I'll bet you never guessed you would see such an active thread on music among a widely varied bunch of us, did you? That IS exactly what I meant about this becoming an instant family for all of us. I hope you feel as welcome here as I do.

I'm also thrilled that I'm not the only one who is nearing middle age (middle age:mom's age) who loves the music so loud that the bolts work loose from the trim on the car! I once told my wife that I didn't want it to sound like I was "just at the concert" but that I wanted it to sound as if I was standing in the first row in front of the stage. I wanted to be able to hear the singer's leather jacket creaking!

And country, Cort? Are we related? From the early 80's through mid 90's, that was my favorite. But you're right, the stations got greedy and started playing lame junk, so I've been playing button roulette since then. Good thing there are CD's and burners!

Music -- Soothes the savage beast.

SteveE

Latest posts

Back