multi vitimin and coq10 and inr levels

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rib305

hi , anyone on here taken clotamin, multivitimin for people on blood thinners, also prior to surgery i was taking coq10 but my inr clinic has told me not to, im thiniking i may start after a few months when everthing settles down and my inr becomes stable, i am a home tester so that helps.. although i must say at the moment my inr seems pretty stable between 2.5-3.2.... also does anyone find diferences between there home test and the clinic, i did a test for my self..(like we do) i checked half an hour before my clinic blood test my coagucheck was 2.8 and the blood draw wa 3.2 ... what do you guys rekon the norm is between the two.....

Multivitamins are OK. Look for one with low or no vit K. Not sure about coq10...I took it a few years ago and don't remember the effect on INR. Once you begin, or change brands, check your INR to see if there is any effect....if so, adjust the anti-coagulant. Blood draws between different machines or
techniques will seldom be same due to tolerances in the testing method and/or meter used. A 2.8 vs 3.2 could normally be expected. I wouldn't worry unless there was a 2.8 vs 1.5 or 2.8 vs 5.5 or similar high variance:confused2::eek2:.

the tech at my coumadin clinique uses protime coagucheck xs. She said if I ever have the INR checked by blood draw it is likely to test higher. Something about the blood being affected slightly by the draw procedure.

RE/ Co-Q10 and warfarin:
"GENERALLY AVOID: Coadministration with coenzyme Q10 (also known as ubiquinone or ubidecarenone) may reduce the hypoprothrombinemic effect of warfarin and other oral anticoagulants. The exact mechanism of interaction is unknown, although coenzyme Q10 is structurally related to menaquinone (vitamin K2) and may have procoagulant effects. There have been reports of decreased warfarin response in patients using coenzyme Q10 and a return to normal anticoagulation following its discontinuation."

This is a great website to check for interactions with warfarin.
http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/coq10-with-coumadin-2273-12874-2311-1529.html

Last edited:
My husband started taking Q10 and a Multi 2 month prior his mitral valve repair surgery and started it up again about 4 weeks post-op. He was supposed to be on Coumadin for 3 months but stopped before. His INR was all over the map anyways (start up time) and the 100 mg Q10 did not seem to affect his levels... but maybe this is how he metabolized it.

Our coumadin manager was O.K. of him taking Q10 as long as he stayed on the same mg so the Coumadin dosage can be adjusted accordingly.
He still takes the Multi, fish oil and Q10 5 years later and his blood pressure is awesome (knock on wood:). No meds!

Good luck and best wishes!

I'll disagree with Dick on the multivitamin issue & Vit K. The one I take has 50 mcg Vit K and I take a 100 mcg Vit K supplement. This helps to stabilize my inr dosing as my levels of Vit K remain more consistent than it would otherwise. The important thing is consistency.

FROM
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iiqijmaDGNsJ:www.chfpatients.com/text/coq10.txt+coq10+and+inr&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&source=www.google.ca

Coenzyme Q10 is structurally related to vitamin K so
theoretically it could encourage blood to clot more quickly.
Several individual case reports (anecdotal only) describe
CoQ10 lowering INR in warfarin (Coumadin) patients, with
INR returning to previous levels after stopping CoQ10. This
has not been proven in trials.

Latest posts

Back