Much appreciation to all of you and a short intro.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

I just want to say how much I appreciate this forum! I’ve been following for a short time, but I’ve already found some incredible information and support here.

I’m actually fairly new and I haven’t introduced myself yet.

I’ve only known about my condition for about 14 months but I’ve already had OHS to replace my aortic valve and repair a 5.2cm ascending aortic aneurysm. I’d say that I’m finally getting past the little bout of PTSD (or could have been just an intense state of shock) that I probably had for the past couple months.

It’s too bad that I didn’t know about this forum last year, I kept saying to myself “I feel so alone, I just don’t know anyone with my condition.” But back then, support was not high on my list as I was solely focused on getting myself into the best care possible.

My first experience with a cardiologist was not good, not only did he talk down to me, but he actually told me that with the size of my aorta (at 5.2 cm), it would be 20 years before I’d need surgery. Never mind the failing bicuspid valve, the heart palpitations (that I thought was grief due to my brother’s death), or the time I passed out while driving.

This part is scary, when this doctor told me about my condition, I didn’t even know what an aorta was. Fortunately for me, I did research and soon found out that for a person who is 5 feet 4 inches weighing 115 lbs., a 5.2 cm aortic aneurysm meant that this cardiologist was/is a very dangerous man.

I found a better doctor and an excellent surgeon, who after several tests scheduled surgery for me 10 days from our first consultation.

I wanted surgery and looked forward to getting in and getting out, which is exactly what I did.

Along the way I’ve experienced what it’s like to take control of my own health, and what it’s like to let go and trust. When I met my surgeon I knew I was in good hands, he along with the whole team of professionals really saved my life.

I’m doing great now at about 10.5 months out and looking forward to living a normal life, (life is life, you never know what may happen) so, always now with a watchful and loving eye ever on my health.

So I also wanted to let you know that I so very much appreciate reading the posts here and learning more about everyone’s journeys and especially all of your personal triumphs. We are all pretty strong and amazing people!

Rachel

Welcome Rachel. You too are a strong person. You did the very best thing you could possibly have done. You researched, you learned and you took control of your health and your body. Now your heart is mended and will likely serve you to a ripe old age.:)

Nice post! And I think I once met your former cardio's 'evil twin, separated at birth' :wink2:

Best wishes :)

Latest posts

Back