MRI & St. Jude Mechanical Valves

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorraine

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on much recently. Still check in once in a while, but never get a chance to post. Things have been going along fairly well for me. I've had once issue that has crept up in the last 10 months having to do with Heart Palpitations, followed within a few hours of feeling like I'm going to faint. I get light headed, nauseous and then feel like I'm suffocating. Over the course of the last 10 months I have had numerous tests done to try and rule out what is going on. I don't get the palpitations all the time, just once in a great while. I had one a week ago Thurs. The last one before that was 2 months before. I saw my doctor this past Tues and he decided to put me in the hospital to run some tests again. My cardio came in and noticed my heart rate was in the low 40's and finally realized it may be my beta blocker dosage. They lowered the dose of my beta blocker(Lopressor) and this Wednesday I am going to get a Ziopatch to wear for two weeks. Anyway, the cardio also decided to have a nuerologist see me. The neurologist said she would like an MRI done. When I scheduled the MRI(which is for this Monday) I gave them the information for my St Jude Mechanical valves. They checked and said it was perfectly safe. I'm still feeling apprehensive though and just felt I should ask my fellow mechanical valvers if any of you have had a MRI done, and if the techinicians did any special procedures because of your mechanical valves. The MRI will be done without contrast. I would appreciate any answers you can give me. Thank you.

Hi Lorraine,

Good to see here my friend, and sorry to hear of your health issues.

I have had many MRI's / MRA's done while I had my St. Judes valve. I never had any issues with them.
I have had brain, throat, abdomen, and pelvic scans, without any issues resulting from the scans.

IMO, I would not have any concerns about having an MRI.

Hope all goes well,

Rob

Hi Rob,

When I reread my post, I realized I forgot to mention it is going to be an MRI of the brain. Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better. As we know all the technicians, nurses and doctors can say anything they want because they are reading it from guidelines. I trust someone who has artificial valves and has had an MRI and had no ill effects, more than I trust just their say so. You have put my mind at ease dear friend. Thanks again. Tell Christi I said Hi! Hugs!

Hi Lorraine,

I should also mention that my valve was an aoric mechanical St Judes valve circa 2000, with graft.
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks! I have aortic and mitral mechanical valves. I think I will just email you. Thanks again.

Hi Rob,

Thanks! I have aortic and mitral mechanical valves. I think I will just email you. Thanks again.

Do you have a wallet card? They usually have the settings/time info for MRIs on them. I would imagine all the MRI center probably/should have that info from the different valves on hand somewhere too, but I you don't have one, I'm pretty sure I saw it at their site, let me know and i can probably find it pretty quickly if you want.

They are fine with MRIs, tho I think the info just says what makes it the safest way

Do you have a wallet card? They usually have the settings/time info for MRIs on them. I would imagine all the MRI center probably/should have that info from the different valves on hand somewhere too, but I you don't have one, I'm pretty sure I saw it at their site, let me know and i can probably find it pretty quickly if you want.

They are fine with MRIs, tho I think the info just says what makes it the safest way

Found it http://health.sjm.com/heart-valve-answers/daily-life/everyday-concerns.aspx
If you are told you need to have an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), tell the doctor that you have an artificial heart valve and show your ID card, which contains important information about how to perform an MRI safely with your valve.

Your doctor or MRI technician may request the following information:

Non-clinical testing has demonstrated that St. Jude Medical heart valves and repair devices are MR conditional. They can be scanned safely under the following conditions:

Static magnetic field of 3 Tesla or less
Spatial gradient of 525 Gauss/cm or less
Maximum whole-body-averaged specific absorption rate (SAR) of 2.0-W/kg for 15 minutes of scanning
If you have questions or concerns about this and other diagnostic tests and your heart valve, please talk to your doctor.

It is wise to provide your doctor with the information outlined above about MRI testing and your heart valve. We recommend that you share the following letter with your doctor and health care team:

http://health.sjm.com/heart-valve-a..._Questions PDFs/MRI_Safety_Information_2.ashx

Thanks Jean! I am definitely feeling more reassured.
Lyn, Thank you for the info. Yes I do have a wallet card and I did read off the numbers to the person I was setting the MRI up with. I also went online to the St Judes website and dowload the conditions the technicians must use when performing an MRI on a mechanical valve patient. I'm glad to read from your post that I am doing all the correct things to protect myself. We always have to be our own health advocate, which I definitely am.

Bradvo: Certain mechanical valves, based on their year, make and model may not be safe with the powerful magnetic field of an MRI. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Thanks, I felt pain when I had my post op echo when the tech had the probe at a certain point over my heart, not much but not normal either. Might have just been me but it got my attention, it cleared as soon as the probe left that certain area. I'll be curious when I get the next one to see if the same thing happens or if it was just my position on the table at 6 weeks post op.

Thanks Jean! I am definitely feeling more reassured.
Lyn, Thank you for the info. Yes I do have a wallet card and I did read off the numbers to the person I was setting the MRI up with. I also went online to the St Judes website and dowload the conditions the technicians must use when performing an MRI on a mechanical valve patient. I'm glad to read from your post that I am doing all the correct things to protect myself. We always have to be our own health advocate, which I definitely am.

Bradvo: Certain mechanical valves, based on their year, make and model may not be safe with the powerful magnetic field of an MRI. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Beside the magnetic issue with MRIs another concern is metal or other tissue, heating up, which I believe is why they give the time limits. Even tho most metals used in surgery aren't magnetic they can still heat up

Good point Lyn! Well I survived my MRI this morning. Yeah! I guess I'm not claustraphobic, because it didn't bother me. When they did one of the noisier tests though, I did start to get a headache in my right temple. It went away quickly. My valves didn't heat up that I felt. I'm sure I would have know if they did. Again I want to Thank everyone for their input. It sure helped having positive feedback and information.

I'm scheduled for an MRI on Feb. 8 due to lower back pain. I was feeling very apprehensive about it before reading the above posts. Thanks for the information!

Was just thinking about you tuesday! Was in Barrington for an unrelated test! Were you in gs? Hope all is well otherwise! Would like to see you sometime soon!

Hi Gina, How are you? I think of my first internet buddy every now and then! I'm going to be 86 in April and my wonderful St Jude mechanical is still ticking away. Affectionately Marty

Hi Gina! Yes it was at GS. Were you there the same day? Jan 30? Hey Marty: Almost 11 years for me and my cardio said my two mechanical valves are still going strong too.

Back