Mr Rogers/Captain Kangaroo

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

Just heard that Mr. Rogers died yesterday from stomach cancer. He was a real American institution and is a big loss to us. His show was the longest running show on PBS. Such a nice man and what a great gift to our children's growing years.

Wonder how many of you remember Captain Kangaroo and Mr GreenJeans. That show was my son's every day fare when he was very little. He called the Captain 'Ang Ang'.

Isn't it nice that we have such dedicated people to help our children learn the good things.

Hi Ann,
I grew up watching Captain Kangaroo...Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Moose (always dropping ping pong balls on the Captain), Grandfather Clock, the cartoon "Tom Terrific (wore a funnel for a hat) with his faithful dog companion - "Mighty Manfred". Thanks for the "flashback" this morning... Hope your day is great!

I never got into Mr. Rogers very much, but I certainly did Capt. Kangaroo and that bunch. When I turn on the t.v. nowaday, I often wonder what children think when they watch some of the shows that are there for them now. What's up with Teletubbies? Maybe the parents of small children can highlight me on what their children watch now. I sure miss the good old days! :(

Capt Kangaroo

Capt Kangaroo

I grew up with Captain Kangaroo. I also liked Romper Room when I was little. Ross I watch a lot of kids. I have been watching my great neice since she was born and several others. I know every character on Barney and I would like to shoot every one of them. If the teletubbies are on I try to get them involved in something else. I can't take them. I like Pooh though. Not the cartoon but the puppet. I know way to much about all these shows for an adult whose children are all grown. Dora the Explorer is a good treaching tool. The kids learn Spanish watching that. I still think Sesame Street is the best one of all for our children. That is what my kids grew up on. I think Mr. Rodgers had a true love for kids and even though I found his show boring I think the kids sensed his warmth and that is why they kept coming back for more.

TV Flashbacks!

TV Flashbacks!

I can't comment on current TV -- our one and only is 17 now. She watched some PBS stuff, and when mom wann't around we watched the Three Stooges. . .

Just wondering -- anybody remember the classic (to a Chicagoan) puppet shows like "Garfield Goose" and "Kukla, Fran and Ollie?" These, along with "Two-Ton Baker" were our lunchtime favorites during grade school in the 50's.

Kukla, Fran and Ollie - that was black/white TV days - used to come on late afternoons before the news, I guess - my girls (much younger than son) watched this show. Nonsensical, but fun. Then these three became crossword puzzle entries.

Well, I grew up on Howdy Doody and Davy Crockett.

Hated Clarabelle the Clown on Howdy--Funny that he went on to be CAPTAIN KANGAROO and so beloved.

As for Mr. Rogers, he was great but I really got off on Eddie Murphy's send ups on Saturday Night Live. It seems the kinder gentler and more serious and caring are the easiest to make fun of. But we all loved Mr. Rogers.

Can you say?".................................

Farewell and Godspeed

Ross, (Squidward...)
I do watch Spongebob these days... When nothing else is on (which is quite a lot lately) I will flip over to the Cartoon Network when they're showing some of the old Warner Brothers classics and NOT the Japanese "seizure" animations...

Les it was either Squidward or Brak from Space Ghost........

It's my way of letting Chris know that I can make fun of myself too, that way he won't feel so down that I called him, indirectly, Spongebob Squarepants. ;) I hope he knows I like him and that's why I pick on him.

I cannot handle the Japanese "seizure" cartoons at all!

Spongebob ?

Spongebob ?

Hey Ross - don't get mushy; I might start sending you love letters and then Bonnie the therapist would have a full time job for sure. I learned a long time ago that if they're NOT teasing you, you probably have a problem. Keep up the good work as the imoderate moderator. What Happened to your old picture ?- I sort of liked it; reminds me of Gene Keady's wife or maybe Jimmie Hoffa. Chris

saddened

My daughter was saddened by the news of Mr. Rogers. In the 70's she would sit on the floor in front of the t.v. and carry on conversations with him. It was like she actually thought he was right there and could hear her. If ever the t.v. became a babysitter, that was one show we, as parents, approved of.
My favorite daytime show around that time, was lost in space, of course I could relate to that.:D

videos

videos

I raised my age 10 year old grandson until he was ready for school. Never turned on T.V..Just bought him every Disney movie.. on Video...I know the words to his favorites..He would ask for certain ones..I am proud to say also..that John and I kept him outside a lot..Nature, traveling every museum in the South. Parks..ect. Disney World...He never cared much for T.V..Now he just made all A's on his last report card. He's in the fifth grade and lives with his Dad..my son, about an hour away. He plays every sport during the year. Just Granny bragging. Bill A...did you know that Captain Kangaroo and Lee Marvin, the actor, served together in World War 2..on Iwo Jamo?..Bonnie

Mr. Rogers.... There goes my childhood. Really kinda sad to hear about this, he was such an upstanding guy.

Now.... who's gonna feed the fish???

Yes, it is sad to see one of my kids favorite people go. Megan (11) and Jacob (6) loved watching him. Emily (3) never really got to see much of him. Thanks for the memories of the "Captain"....he was by far my favorite as a child....I especially loved the big dancing bear on his show and Mr. Green Jeans....even in black and white!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, Bonnie...

Sorry to burst your bubble, Bonnie...

Sorry, Bonnie -

Although it makes a good story, Bob Keeshan (Capt. Kangaroo) and Lee Marvin, while both in the Marines, never served together. Lee was shot in the buttocks at Saipan 8 months before Iwo Jima, and Bob Keeshan didn't join the Marines until 4 months after Iwo Jima...

http://www.snopes.com/military/keeshan.htm

Will

sniff

sniff

Mr. Rogers...a true one of a kind who I spent a lot of time with while working at a PBS TV station for several years. (He was on all the monitors in Master Control every morning when I got in to work).

He will be missed.

Well, MY kids watch the Book of Pooh, Stanley, The Wiggles(Erik's favorite), Bear in the big blue house, Rolie Polie Olie, and Mickey's house of Mouse, and I like to watch emergency vets, animal precinct, FRIENDS, scrubs, trading spaces, and that's about it. If you want to see what a lot of kids watch these days, watch playhouse disney...it starts early in the morning on weekdays. It's a good program, really it is. Well, my break is over...need to finish housework!

Latest posts

Back