mosaic valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilyn

I am somewhat confused about the valves. I have the mosaic porcine valve 21 mm. I was never told that they could last 20 years. The surgeon was leaning toward the mechanical valve, but I wanted a tissue valve. He advised that the mechanical valve would last a life time. I have read on the Cleveland Clinic site that they can last 5-12 years or more.
I also read that it is better to have a bigger size valve.
Another question - I had a lot of calcification on the valve. He said he had to chisel it out. Would I build more calcification faster and be subject for it to be replaced?
Do you get an echo every year to follow the valve?

The newer tissue valves are supposed to last up to 20+years, but there is no hard data on that yet because they haven't reached the first 20 year mark. The older valves last anywhere from 7 to 15 years. Mechanicals can last a life time. No guarantees, but they can.

As far as the calcification, I really don't know. I would assume not necessarily, but as I said, I just don't know.

I have a 23mm porcine aortic valve. The surgeon told me they are hoping to get 20 years or so out of these. The doc said the older ones were lasting 15 years and they are hoping these are longer but as Ross said there is no data on it yet. As far as I know, yearly echo. If you are having problems, insist on an echo now. That's what I did. About the calcification.....I do not know. I know I had a lot of that but I did not ask and doc did not say anything about it. Someone else may know. Take care.

Deb

thanks

thanks

I appreciate all the answer. They are very helpful to me. I would like to ask you what "quick reply" is all about. Also, I have a mitral valve problem. He told me he was debating about replacing it, but decided not to. He told me to have it checked if I have symptoms. What symptoms am I suppose to pay attention to?

I appreciate all the answer. They are very helpful to me. I would like to ask you what "quick reply" is all about. Also, I have a mitral valve problem. He told me he was debating about replacing it, but decided not to. He told me to have it checked if I have symptoms. What symptoms am I suppose to pay attention to?
Quick reply is just a Quicker way to post a reply rather then waiting for the reply box to load on another page.

As for symptoms, look for anything such as shortness of breath, chest pain, all the usual characters that you may have had previously before you got fixed.

Latest posts

Back