More Mountain bike ....

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like a wonderful adventure. You have to do a travelogue for us when you're done - so take lots of pics. Are you going anywhere near the Gorge du Verdon in the south? Was there a year ago and it's so beautiful. Looks like a Lord of the Rings mountain set.

Thanks ChouDoufu, that sounds interesting.
And thanks to Neil and halley too...

Todays thinking.... I recon I might have a plan, a route already ! I was thinking about what dennis was saying about wind and long busy roads etc. So I thought, having worked years ago on a French (Breton) Canal Barge... Why not just cycle the whole way along the "tow path" by the Canal or waterway ? Obviously before these barges had engines they were towed either by heavy horse or strong men, thus every canal still has a tow path ! These vary from tarmac lanes to dusty tracks to lumpy paths, but all passable, Just as Napoleon insisted when he built them. And more to the point all pretty flat !? Perfect ? Or am I missing something ? Hundreds of miles of relaxed flat cycling, passing villages, towns, cities and locks... Under the shade of tree lined tracks ?
I've found a crude map which I'll attach. What's the thinking on that ? I recon due north from the south coast, swing a bit of a left half way up, through Paris (with no traffic lights or cars!?) then head on up to Le Harve for a ferry home ?
Or head North West towards Bordeaux, then north by road up to Nantes and up the canal to St. Malo ?
The first option would be pure canal path all the way, and more interesting boats too as those waterways go all the way to Russia !

That sounds like a great route to me, but I do think you will miss something if you don't do a single mountain pass. You may curse me if you follow that advice, but from the perspective of the years, the mountain passes were the most memorable.

Justin....sounds like a great adventure you have planned, Im jealous ! I hope to be able to take a sabbatical (sp ?) in a few years where I can take a month or 6 weeks and do something unique.

One of the things I always wanted to do was go to the top of Mt Rainier out in the state of Washington. Its an inactive volcano with snow cover year round, about 15000 ft elevation at the summit. A few thousand attempt to climb it each year and even though I am a valver now, I don't see any reason why I can't still persue it. The really ironic thing is I got into more rigorous cardio workouts about a year before my BAV diagnosis with the idea being to get in better shape to attempt Rainier. It was my struggles in those carido workouts that ultimately got me to the cardiologist and my diagnosis. So I think its only fitting that I finish what I started. Tomorrow Im going out for a 7 mile run, part of a training schedule for a 1/2 marathon in May. Something else I couldn't consider presurgery either, 1/4 mile on a treadmill had me clutching my chest and gasping for breath. Now its a mental challenge because the physical limitations are resolved. Medical technology rocks !! Once I complete that race I think it will be time to start looking at Mt Rainier again, you've given me some serious motivation !

assemble your tool kit and spare parts (cables, brake pads, spokes).
don't know how much bike work you've done, but you might want to
practice fixing stuff before you go. make sure you have the tools and
the practice to adjust gears, repair a chain, replace a spoke, adjust seat
and h-bar height. sewing kit to repair clothing and panniers.

if you use them little presta type valves, make sure you have an adapter
so you can use gas station pumps. the little pump you carry can break,
especially if you use it to beat off opossums in the middle of the night.

don't forget the two most important items: super-glue and duct tape!!

ooh, another hint. to avoid flats, i sometimes add extra tubes and tires.
got an old inner tube with two many leaks? cut off the valve, slice around
the inside, and wrap it around your new tube before inserting into the
casing. if going to an area with goat heads, you can do the same with
an old tire casing, after cutting off the wire beads. with four layers you
can go thousands of miles without flats.

What a fun trip we are all going to have. I am so excited. And what good advice you are getting. Every time I came up with something, someone would beat me to it. We did the Blue Ridge a number of years ago. Eight days of beautiful country. We have gone back now and none it on the motorcycle. Planning another trip in May. Maybe after my husbands surgery we can start short trips again. I do miss the bike. Slicks are a very good idea, duct tape, and extra spokes (we taped them to the pump). We have used all of these in the pass. We have used dollar bills and even power bar wrappers in side the tire as a boot, but the best is a piece of old tubing. We have got caught out with no new cable, chain brake (might not be the right name), and extra chain links.
Love your dog trailer. We have one of those too. We took a Bob trailer and made a cage with a canvas top for our Jack Russell, when she was a puppy. I even made a baby bumper to go around the inside. She loved going with us. We would look back and she would be sound asleep with her head on the top of the baby bumper. Every time we would stop and try to get a picture, she would wake up and move. For some reason, she doesn't like her picture taken. Now since she is 10, we run her a little on the bike trial, then put her in the trailer for the rest of the ride. She use to go 2 miles easy. Now it's down to about a 1/2 mile. All three of us are getting older. :O)

Nice bike. I'd like to treat myself to a new road bike post surgery. However I need to get the cost cleared with my other half, could prove tricky! Any suggestions for sneaking a new bike under the radar ?

Being a Wife, I have found the following to be true. If you have two bikes together a third one just appears. This also happens with canoes, paddles, tools, etc.
Sharon

Latest posts

Back