@ months since aortic valve replaceme

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I had my aortic valve replaced on January 6, 2016 the surgery went well, however after being discharged I had a "minor stroke" 5 days later. I had blurred vision and went to my local Emergency Room and was transferred back to where I had my surgery (New York Presbyterian) A blood clot traveled to my brain and I temporarily lost some memory and had some vision issues. Having to deal with this after heart surgery was very difficult. I was put on warifin, saw a neurologist and was diagnosed with retinal migraines due to the increased blood flow to my brain. I seem to be better now but constantly fear a reoccurence. I am getting some energy back, but the beta blocker seems to make me tired. Going through this for the past 8 weeks has been challenging psychologically. I wonder if I'll ever get back to my old self. The doctors and people I know who went through similar surgery all say patience is the key. I hope they're right.

I'm sorry to hear you had this trouble, and so soon after AVR.

That is very interesting that the neurologist diagnosed you with retinal migraines due to the increased blood flow to your brain. Was it that which caused the stroke ? The reason I ask is that many of us have occular migraines following AVR and that this can continue for several years by all accounts. See this thread: http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...964-visual-problems-following-cardiac-surgery I wonder if those are similar to what you experienced. I've never read of any explanation for them other than that they happen after heart surgery, so am curious.

It is still early days for you in your recovery. I had my AVR exactly two years to the day before yours and I remember that two months later, which is where you are at, things were still very rough with bumps on the road. It takes time to heal but you will get there. Stick around here, there are so many helpful people here.

the neurologist was quite sure that optical migraines is what I have he stated the increased blood flow definitely can affect vision but assured me it goes away with time remember I had a "mild stroke" one week after the surgery which can be a contributing factor my ophthalmologist had the same diagnosis it seems that time and patience is what I need to understand everytime I think I turned the corner to recovery, another symptom seems to appear today I have had 3 or 4 dizzy spells which I haven't had before I'm only two months out of surgery so I hope time will heal

I am very sorry... the retinal migraines were the first symptom I had of my stroke. Flashing in my left eye, a year later I stroked. Lost the use of my left hand, couldn't talk and now two years later, I am a little choppy with my speech, a little weakness in my hand but all in all I am fine. I am having my valve replaced on 3/9 and I am scared of another stroke.

My prayers for you that you have a full recovery.

I had wondered about the possible effects of better flow to the brain. I used to get a couple of really bad migraines a year preceded by an aura. Now ,one yea post surgery, I get the auras a couple times a week but no migraine pain following. Its still early days and dealing with this during recovery has to be difficult but hopefully you're getting a the bad stuff out of the way and by summer you'll be right as rain.

Hi

scotts;n863273 said:
the neurologist was quite sure that optical migraines is what I have he stated the increased blood flow definitely can affect vision but assured me it goes away with time remember

I hope he has not implied to you that such is the cause of migraines. To my understanding the area is not yet well understood, let alone quite sure. I'm always interested in this area as I've had them since I was about a teenager.

pellicle;n863279 said:
I'm always interested in this area as I've had them since I was about a teenager.

I too have had them since I was a teenager. I get them maybe a few times a month, first the aura then the headache. If I take tylenol as soon as I get the aura I won't get the headache. I was concerned that after the surgery I would get them much more often but the interesting thing is that I seem to have them less often since the heart surgery. I've only had two in the last 4 months.

I have also had migraine since I was 10 years old, but only like 2 or 3 times a year. My mother has that too. Doctor told her that people with migraine live longer haha.

JulienDu;n863289 said:
I have also had migraine since I was 10 years old, but only like 2 or 3 times a year. My mother has that too. Doctor told her that people with migraine live longer haha.

Maybe it just feels that way, ba da bump....

Years ago I used to get migraine headache with aura (which were associated with my menstural cycle but they stopped when I was prescirbed natural progesterone), and then I got exertional migraines when I did heavy weight lifting which stopped again after some time.

But since the day after heart surgery I have been getting migraine auras without headache and double vision, weekly or so, and bright sparks/flashes of light crossing my vision several times a day. There are certainly no triggers - apart from the surgery - since I have even woken up in the night to find I'm halfway through the migraine aura. I have not had it investigated because so many of us post heart surgery seem to get similar.

now another symptom has started Tuesday night I woke up tried to get out of bed and nearly fainted I've had 3 more episodes yesterday when I try to down I feel as if the whole room is spinning I checked my blood pressure and it is high 160/90 on medication called my doctor 3 times still awaiting a return call

There could be several reasons for this, but I remember other members here fainting at some point soonish after surgery - could be the meds you are on - beta blockers and such like. Hope the doctor gets back to you soon. Keep us posted.

I was hyper aware of every tinge, sensation, pain, etc., post op. Eventually I relaxed and stopped becoming alarmed whenever I felt something a little out of the ordinary. I had some diziness getting out of bed pre-op and my cardio told me to to make sure I was hydrated and getting enough sodium. Get up very slowly both from bed and sitting. That may help.

Sorry you are having these issues. Keep us posted.

honeybunny;n863317 said:
I was hyper aware of every tinge, sensation, pain, etc., post op. Eventually I relaxed and stopped becoming alarmed whenever I felt something a little out of the ordinary. I had some diziness getting out of bed pre-op and my cardio told me to to make sure I was hydrated and getting enough sodium. Get up very slowly both from bed and sitting. That may help.

This mirrors my own experience. Even years later, I've occasionally had moments of light-headedness, but as long as they pass with no other effects, I just get on with life.

It is a good thing to consult with your cardio just to be sure, but if the cardio says not to worry about it, that's probably good advice.

saw my cardiologist who diagnosed benign positional vertigo he prescribed Meclizine and wants me to see a certified vertigo physical therapist I'm hesitant about taking more medication has anyone seen a PT for this or accupuncture?

Guest, come back and register. This a good place to get information and directions to other sources to reliable, not outdated information. And we want updates from you with a name of some sort. Just the first name. And hugs for today. :)

had the Epley manuever today with a certified physical therapist for vertigo seems to have worked now dealing with high blood pressure(169/90) with medications 9 weeks post aortic valve replacement

Back