Mom's Aortic Stenosis

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockey Heart

Her measurement is 1.0

She is having severe shortness of breath with anything remotely physical. she does, however, have anxiety over my pending valve replacement and other things going on inb her life. She just passed a stress test and there is no explanation for the shortness of breath as to what it is attributable to.

When is the right time for her to have her surgery? Is it based on the number (she is 1.0) or is it based on symptoms or a combination of both?

Her measurement is 1.0

She is having severe shortness of breath with anything remotely physical. she does, however, have anxiety over my pending valve replacement and other things going on inb her life. She just passed a stress test and there is no explanation for the shortness of breath as to what it is attributable to.

When is the right time for her to have her surgery? Is it based on the number (she is 1.0) or is it based on symptoms or a combination of both?

Its usually a combination of both numbers and heart function (ventricle size and pressures etc) and symptons.
How old is she? I'm glad she did well on the stress test.

In the USAF they don't recommend replacing your valve until your heart is "bad enough" (for me, my left ventricle had to be dilated to a certain size and my EF had to be at a certain % -- I can look for the numbers if you'd like--) AND I had to have symptoms that were not equivocal. I had lightheadedness and presyncopal episodes, but the doctors could not directly relate them to my BAV. When I started having frequent palpitations and discomfort in my chest is when they decided to schedule my surgery.

Last edited:
Her shortness of breath could be due to her anxiety since the echo was OK.

Surgery became due when my numbers (dilation of the left Ventricle, stenosis and calcification became worse, etc.) plus the extreme physical fatigue I had. I felt short of breath while I was sitting down and resting, and got out of breath when I took the stairs up.

Good luck to both of you and keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back