mitral valve REPAIR patients role call...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsanjose

hi all. i'm almost 6 mos post mitral valve repair and i'm feeling pretty good! i'm just about to graduate from phase 2 of cardiac rehab and wondering if anyone has done phase 3? i purchased a new elliptical and have been working out on it on some of my off days. my questions are:

1) how far post op are you?
2) how much cardiac rehab have you done?
3) any issues to date?

off topic questions:
1) did you anyone ask for pics of their repair?
2) did you noticed metal clips on your annuloplasty sutures?
3) did anyone contract infections like endocartitis?

Good job keeping up with the cardiac rehab! I'm two years post mitral repair. I was 51 for surgery but diagnosed at 24. I had formal cardiac rehab 3/wk for about 3 months. After those sessions I walked and rode my bike a lot the first year. I started swimming in year two of recovery with a masters team. I have blood pressure swings, exercise induced hypertension - I have toyed with Lysinopril but it gives me headaches and confusion. My resting heart rate was elevated post-surgery to around 95 beats/min (presurgery it was about 55 beats/min). The heart rate has come down to about 65. I have had x-rays and other imaging of the annulopasty ring. It is strange to have something like that floating in your chest in the image. I saw pictures of the repair and the surgeon drew a couple of pictures to describe what he did -- he was very proud. I did not see any obvious sutures. No endocartitis so far. I am a little concerned about stenosis described in some literature among people with annuloplasty rings vs mechanical valves, but it seems like an evolving area of research given new procedures, particularly among people under 50 years of age. It seems like people under 50 tolerate the surgery better.

8.5 months post mitral valve repair for me. Cardiac rehab was not offered to me, though I wish it had been because, from what I see here on the forums, it would have helped a lot with the anxiety of returning to exercise. I've done it on my own and am now able to do a cardio workout (elliptical, or fast walking on an inclined treadmill) for the same duration and intensity as I did before surgery. I work out at the gym 3 or 4 days a week and try to go for walks on the other days.

I just started weight training again this week, though I probably could have done so much sooner. I haven't had any exercise-related issues.

No pics of the repair, no metal clips (though I can see the annuloplasty ring on my X-rays), no endocarditis. No news is definitely good news.

I had MVR done the old fashion way about 2.5 years ago, and I'm doing great! No Cardiac rehab, and no issues to date. I have a 38mm Edwards ring - model 5200.

I've been very careful in preventing Endocarditis. Use listerine twice a day and always take antibiotics before dental appts.

Latest posts

Back