Mitral Regirgitation after Aortic Valve Replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm coming up on nine months and have had several doctors on routine exams over the past few months comment on my murmur. Following surgery the cardiologist mentioned my lack of murmur so I thought that the comments were unusual. Well today at my nine month checkup the cardiologist also said, "that's quite a murmur". They didn't have the echo result but he thinks it is mitral Regirgitation from my previous aortic valve issues. This news has taken me by surprise to say the least. He didn't seem concerned but it's not the news I was expecting.

Anyone else have subsequent valve issues following surgery? Did they require subsequent surgery?

Thanks.

I have an extremely loud aortic murmur following AVR two years ago. I am actually used as a patient in the exam for doctors who want to move on up the career ladder to become consultants - they use me because I'm a 'challenge' to the docs due to the loud murmur. Usually more than half the candidates diagnose me with a mitral valve problem because the murmur is heard all over the pericardium. There is actually no problem with my mitral valve, the murmur is apparently a normal "flow murmur" through the prosthetic aortic valve.

I do actually have quite a high pressure gradient for a new valve, currently 42 mmHg, I don't know if that's connected. It's being followed, having six monthly echos at the moment. When will you get your echo result ? Do you get a copy ? Will that be discussed with you ? I would follow that up because otherwise you'll just worry about it.

I just found out that my new aortic valve (bovine) has deteriorated since "installation" in November. My post surgery echo showed insignificant pressure gradient across the valve. At 9 months the gradient is now 40mmHg and the orifice area has decreased to 1.3cm which would explain the loud murmur. So frustrating.

I'm waiting to hear back if they think it will stabilize where I am and why it has deteriorated over such a short time.

jumpy;n868633 said:
I just found out that my new aortic valve (bovine) has deteriorated since "installation" in November. My post surgery echo showed insignificant pressure gradient across the valve. At 9 months the gradient is now 40mmHg and the orifice area has decreased to 1.3cm which would explain the loud murmur. So frustrating.

I'm waiting to hear back if they think it will stabilize where I am and why it has deteriorated over such a short time.

I am so sorry to hear about your valve deteriorating so quickly. I hope everything will work out and that there is a good path forward for you.

It could still be a bad test . . . my stats have gone back and forth sometimes in ways that couldn't possibly be happening. So try to trust whatever followup testing they recommend and don't "pre-panic" until it's clear you have a problem. It'd suck to worry for nothing, it only ruins some perfectly good weeks/months. Been down that road a few times. Fingers crossed for you. . . . I always try to think "I could still dodge the bullet here" until proven otherwise . . .

Latest posts

Back