Mitral incompetence: after mitral-repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smiley2000

Hi there.

Report back from 2 days of tests: echo, xrays, 24hour holter ECG, Tilt test.

Echo revealed that I have a mild-moderate mitral valve incompetence. Was a bit of a shock because when I had my 6 weeks post-op check-up Cardio said there was a mild leak, but nothing to be worried about. Cardio will monitor it 6 monthly. He said I don't have MVP, but mitral incompetence.

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN???

My EF is 56% and I get about 2000 supra-ventricular extra systoles in 24 hour period. I have tried 6 different beta-blockers in the past and it does not fix the arrhythmia. Average HR is 92. He is going to try and motivate CORALAN (it is not available in South Africa at this stage...)

BP during Tilt started at 115/75 and ended on 87/65. I was nausious, dizzy, SOB and felt terrible during TILT, but no syncope, so that means I don't have POTS and we still don't know what triggered the fainting episodes.

Cardio said that I have mild "Pulmonary hypertension" and that is nothing to worry about. Heart chambers all within normal sizes

Any advice are welcome at this stage...

Mitral incompetance is another term for mitral regurgitation or mitral insufficiency. I means that some of the blood it is pumping into the left ventricle is being pushed back into the left atrium.

I think you still need to find out what is causing your symptoms and not only what isn't. I don't think your quest is yet over. Ask your cardio what else could be causing your symptoms....maybe he has some other ideas.

Those stats are really good,,the EF and the chamber size. My repair was 11 years ago ,,after I had mild - moderate regur also. Hopefully you can get your meds regulated and feel well soon. Stay after your doctor for the answers you need.

Latest posts

Back