mital valve prolapse symptoms/ surgery link

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doberman

I am 2 weeks short of being 6 months post-op and feel great but I have a few questions. Previous to my surgery I really was not too interested in the minute details of my surgery. I felt that the more I knew about the procedure the more I would have to worry about, i felt very confident in my surgeon and thought I would leave all of that to him. Now I really am interested in finding out more about the surgery. Does anyone out there know of a link that explains open heart surgery. I had a mitral valve repair. I alos found a link that I had not discovered before laying out symptoms of people that have mitral valve prolapse if anyone is interested it is quite interesting. I had several symptoms on this list but not all. None of my doctors ever asked me about any of the symptoms on this list. For intstance I had chronic night sweats which my first cardiologist dismissed,(I went on to find another doctor) for those that are interested the link is below
http://www.consciouschoice.com/holisticmd/hmd093.html

mitral repair surgery

mitral repair surgery

doberman,

Here is a link that discribes the surgery and it goes one better it provides a video that you can watch the full procedure.

http://www.umm.edu/heart/mitral.html
Mitral Valve Repair

The symptoms that often accompany MVP before there is real notice of cardiac distress from a greater valve leak are called MVPS or mitral valve prolapse syndrom/dysautonomia. 40% of the population of MVP is said to have the MVPS dysautonimic condition. The symptoms do not seem to correlate with with the actual valve abnormallity and cardiologists are not traditionally trained about the dysautonomia so they will often discredit a patients complaints of MVPS. Newer reseach from independant researchers has proven the link of MVPS to contribute to the develpement of MVP through a common chronic (hard to detect) magnesium defficency. MVPS dysautonomia is an imbalance of the autonomic nerves. In this condition the nerves dehydrate often with a the loss of magnesium. Heart nerves are tied into the autonomic nerve system so when the MVPS is the culprit of a bad heart rhythm it looks to the MVP patient that it is a problem with the MVP. The symptoms of MVPS are a mile long list but quite recognizable to most that have an issue with it. The new link to MVP from the chronic magnesium lose is that over time with a chronic magnesium loss the heart valves will not be able to hold their hyaluronic acid necessary to keep the collagen tissue of the valve healthy which can eventually lead from a prolapsed valve to valve disease. I had a cardiologist that for many years was not only neglectful but abusive upon having to hear of MVPS symptoms. I fired him last year and found a better cardiologist who happens to be interested in the studies on MVPS but it was just a few years late for me as I have been recently told I have developed myxomatous valve disease and will need a valve replacement in my future years.

Lisa

MVPS is fascinating to me...

MVPS is fascinating to me...

...as it appeared that I had many of the symptoms -- and the genetic predisposition.

NYU has just opened a dysautonomia unit for children, and is planning to expand to adults this fall.

Mitral Man,

Good to hear the word dysautonomia migrate to the north east at NYU. I wonder if the clinic is geared to treat MVP with dysautonomia like the one in Alabama? Well its encouraging to hear more interest in the subject. I hope it will eventually migrate to the Lehigh Valley where I am located. The newer studies on the chronic magnesium loss link between MVP and MVPS sound like there may be a better understanding of heart valve disease emerging with some consideration of prevention issues. Thank for the info,

Lisa

I was given liquid doses of magnesium while I was in the hospitalfor several days after my surgery, is this standard for all patients that have open heart surgery? Do any of you continue to take magnesium supplements?
JD

magnesium

magnesium

JD,

The magnesium they give in the hospital for cardiac issues in IV is a mag sulfate solution used for soothing the heart rhythm. It is the same principal magnesium is used for treating MVPS/dysautonomia because the most noteable symptom of MVPS is heart arrhythmia but that is not the consideration of using magnesium after heart surgery. They are mainly focused on calming a heart rhythm with it no matter what the reason and in most medical settings there is very little to no education on MVPS.

I do use magnesium to assist with my heart rhythm problems in a supplement that has a good 2 to 1 ratio of calcium along with Vitamin D and Zinc needed for proper magnesium absorption. I am educated on the interactions and contraindications of supplements so I am not haphazardly using any supplements. I am switching the type that I use to an oral liquid dose of the lactate and gluconate form to get a better absorption of it. The use of magnesium with MVP is benificial because it has been proven that there is a hard to detect chronic magnesium loss in MVP. The chronic mag loss is what causes the symptoms of MVPS as the autonomic nerves dysfunction they dehydrate which causes the body to lose magnesium . They have recently found the link to mag loss, MVP and myxomatous disease by studing the diseased valve tissue of cadavers. The body needs magnesium to hold hyaluronic acid to our heart valve tissue. The hyaluronic acid is what holds the proper hydration levels to the valve leaflets. When that is lost the collagen of the leaflets becomes damaged and the valve will prolapse or worse with the development of myxomatous tissue to thicken the valve leaflets. So it is becoming important to some independant researchers to dig deeper on the physiological needs of magnesium. There are many cautions to using supplements and medications together.

Lisa

Latest posts

Back