Missed my anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johninsd

I managed to miss my first anniversary - Nov. 14 marked one year since AVR and aortic root replacement. Doing pretty well, biggest problem is the drug induced exercise intolerance. I'd like to ride my bicycle coast to coast in 2017 to celebrate turning 70 but the way I feel right now I may not be ready by then. I've done this trip twice before so I do have an idea what it will take in the way of training. Well anyway I wonder if I should send myself a belated anniversary card?

Absolutely send yourself a card!

I would take it as a good sign that you are so involved in life that your anniversary slipped by. Congratulations!

Hey, John - Congratulations on the anniversary!

You mentioned medication-induced exercise limitations. Which med is the limiter?

Immediately after valve surgery I was prescribed timed-release metoprolol, 100 mg/day. When taking that (beta blocker), I felt like I was dragging around a sled full of rocks all day. Over the next couple of years, after many good discussions with my cardio, we cut my dosage in half two different times. I now take only 25 mg/day and all is stable. My exercise tolerance is pretty much back to normal now, and I feel great.

I don't know for sure but I think it is the metoprolol (50 mg per day). I suppose the Amiodarone is also suspect - 200 mg per day. I'll check with my cardio if we can reduce the dosage of one or the other (or both) I'm also taking 2mg of warfarin daily because I had a few episodes of atrial flutter that required a reboot (cardioversion) and he wants me to be ready in case it comes up again (I guess). I don't think the warfarin causes fatigue though - but I do suspect it was a contributing factor when I fell off a boat and bruised my thigh and then limped for about 8 weeks - enormous bruise, doc said my hemoglobin count was down to anemic level - he estimated that I'd bled 1-2 pints - no wonder I was tired and thirsty. So it would be nice to get off that as well -

Fantastic! Happy first. What a joy as well to read about your cycling plans. That sounds like a magnificent adventure. For what it's worth, I initially had similar issues with the metropolol but also had some constructive conversations with my cardio to improve things. Looking forward to photos of the 2017 trip.

Latest posts

Back