Mind-body techniques for surgery preparation - Your thoughts?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick

Hi Folks,
So after a lot of debate, denial, pondering, etc., I am finally scheduled for AVR on September 2nd. My surgeon has recommended a mechanical valve given that I'm "only" 37 and I have to say that as much as this decision pains me (can't get over the rigor and risk associated with being on Coumadin for life!!), I feel that this is the way it has to be.
Anyway, as I prepare to undergo surgery I have come across various mentions about how various mind-body techniques have clinically proven to have a positive outcome as far as surgery goes. I'm currently trying to get a copy of Peggy Huddleston's book through the library (even if I get to read it just once!) and I'm also listening to the Audibook "Preparing for Surgery" by Martin Rossman. Rossman's book is actually quite decent, and whether it actually leads to a better outcome or not, I think it certainly has helped me to be more relaxed about what I'm about to undergo.

Which brings me to my question: what are your opinions on these mind-body techniques? Anyone here that used these? What do you think of their effectiveness? Do you think this is all just mumbo-jumbo/quackery or something that most people can truly benefit from, even if it is in some small measure to be more confident?

Would love to hear from you all on this!

- 37 year old, BAVD diagnosed 4 years ago, moderate-severe AR and slight LV dilation. Scheduled for AVR 09/02 at Brigham & Womens, Boston with Dr. Aranki with St. Jude valve.

Two years before my surgery I was told by my cardiologist that it would probably be in two years time and so I read a lot to prepare myself from that moment, things that I then re-read in the months prior to surgery.

In one book it said some patients have the anaesthetist read affirmations to them while they're under the anaesthetic and I thought that's nice, but soon realised that the anaesthetist has a lot of work to do in this sort of operation and they've no time to sit there by your head reading affirmations.

The same book also said a patient could have music played to them during surgery and I went through all my favourite pieces of music imagining myself having the op to the music - that was quite relaxing but it was only a mind experiment because there's no way you can bring an ipod into a sterile surgical atmosphere and have yourself hooked up to headphones while the surgical team are manipulating you this way and that. Besides, I thought to myself, just suppose the anaesthetist put the volume up too much ! Still music helped me a lot, both before surgery and after when I was recovering. My iPod was the most important thing for me to keep by me as I played what I loved to hear and that relaxed me.

The best pre and post op book I read though was 'Coping with Heart Surgery and Bypassing Depression' by Carol Cohan. This book prepared me well - along with the folks on here of course - and gave me practical ideas, as well as being helpful for my husband.

I also do meditation, I don't know if that helped as I don't do it specifically to get relaxed.

I think anything that a person does which they feel positive about and that they feel will help them will help them.

Hi Maverick,

I am a great believer in the power of the mind.

My mantra, I am now 10 weeks post op, was turn up, lie down, go to sleep, wake up, get up and get on with it. This has served me well. I really do believe in a positive attitude and, whilst some may say this is just anecdotal, we all know that this is often the best proof.

If you look through the post it would appear that most people, on here, experience few problems with the medication and that it has little effect on their lives as a whole. My time on here (this forum) pre surgery alleviate a lot of my fears, caused a few new ones, but actually some of the best advice I received was that once you were happy with your team, and the decision was made, relax and enjoy the ride.

I know this surgery is scary, or at least it was for me, but I can honestly say, it is no where near as bad as you imagine.

Good luck and best zipper club wishes,

Red

Hi, to me its postive view and the strong desire to come out fine. My goal was to be out and strong for my wife, to be able to keep doing the reno on our house and for our goals of family. If you keep that in your sights you'll do well. No matter what you feel like, eat your food (even if it takes an hour) and take it as a survival exersize but without the challenge of being stuck out alone in the wilderness. Your job is to survive and be well for your family.

Find things to be funny (don't laugh hard) and do the exersizes (especially the breathing ones).

Positive, Positive and Positive!

You'll be on the podium.

A good quick read on "mind over matter" over at New Scientist

Hi Maverick
I am a 74 year old 3 year post op AVR (tissue). I think it is great to be 'positive', but when in pain and anziety - a very difficult thing to do! For 20 odd years, I have practiced doing mental/physical relaxation exercises, which I learned from a book called 'Relief without Drugs' by Ainslie Meeres. I don't mean that you don't take your medication (God forbid!) - but it is a wonderful way to relax your mind. I have suffered 'depression' for most of my life, but i believe those exercises have kept me alive and well.
Good luck on your operation
Brian

Your surgery is pretty soon so you don't have much more time to be anxious! The waiting is indeed hardest of all. For me: what helped tremendously was:
  • Facing it head on and learning everything I could about it. This forum was great for that as were the Mayo and Cleveland Clinic sites etc.
  • Meditation
  • Reading: I read 2 books - The Open Heart Companion and Living Life to the Full: My Iron Man Journey - the former was a practical guide on OHS; the latter was a lighter, more inspirational read about a woman who has OHS and did her first ironman 8 months after.
  • Exercise. I got in the best shape I could for surgery and felt like I was doing something proactive to help it go smoothly vs. sitting around and worrying.
  • Sleep! Get lots of it. It can be tough, especially at first, but meditation at bedtime helped me.
  • I took a quick tour of the hospital in advance, the areas I was going to be (where I was permitted to go). That, combined with all of the research on the procedure, the meds, the recovery, how I would feel and what to expect, what tubes would be sticking out of me and what equipment I would be hooked up to, etc. also helped tremendously during my recovery both in the hospital and at home. When certain things happened, or you felt a certain way, you kind of knew what to expect. When I saw all the equipment, tubes and wires, etc., I knew what it was and really wasn't worried at all (just kind of reaffirmed everything I read so I was not surprised at all. It took a lot of fears of the unknown.
Anyways, all of this helped contribute to my "mental state" going into this.

Anyways, good luck to you! You'll be done before you know it and getting on with life!
Tony

I took a class on mindfulness before surgery. I had surgery at UCSF and they offer classes on mindfulness/meditation that are open to the public and they encourage patients to look into the classes. Outside of the classes there are many books. I like http://www.amazon.com/Wherever-You-Go-There-Are/dp/1401307787 and http://www.amazon.com/Full-Catastrophe-Living-Wisdom-Illness/dp/0385303122. I do think they help and the pratice is good for anyone, imo, surgery or no surgery. Check out the books. They content deals with pain management too.

mcsf;n846255 said:
I took a class on mindfulness before surgery. I had surgery at UCSF and they offer classes on mindfulness/meditation that are open to the public and they encourage patients to look into the classes. Outside of the classes there are many books. I like http://www.amazon.com/Wherever-You-Go-There-Are/dp/1401307787 and http://www.amazon.com/Full-Catastrophe-Living-Wisdom-Illness/dp/0385303122. I do think they help and the pratice is good for anyone, imo, surgery or no surgery. Check out the books. They content deals with pain management too.
I'm actually reading a good book on meditation now (Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation, recommended by the book 10% Happier .... which is a good intro to what meditation is about) and was just reading about pain management. One reason it can be helpful is that people often experience their fears, worries, etc. as well as the pain. Meditation may not eliminate the pain but it can reduce the worrying and tension that can make it feel worse. I think that mind-body techniques can be helpful with the anxiety that is experienced prior to surgery as well as with the challenges faced in the recovery.

FWIW, the pain from my OHS was not so bad and less than I expected.

Latest posts

Back