Mild/moderate aortic regurgitation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offwego

Upon examination today for first follow up to MV repair...my cardiologist heard some aortic regurgitation. I was his last patient and he was in a bit of a rush...we went over meds and he took me off Lasix and reduced the Metrapolol to 25mg 1x a day...he noticed something (i forgot) on the ekg and thinks it might be caused by the med.

My heart feels weird of course as it's not even two weeks post op..He insinuated I might feel this drop of the bp med...

I asked him about the aortic regurgitation and he said I would not need surgery for it..(?)...I know nothing about what this could mean and I started googling and nothing good was coming up and stopped my own research as I don't need to be worrying now.

But thought I 'd make a thread if anyone has any insight into this.

thanks for reading...tired today but that was expected.

Really hard to say but I'd push him for more info. In fact, I would not be shy about getting a second opinion....at some point. That said, there's no need to worry either. I was diagnosed with mild to moderate aortic regurgitation when I was 30 and I remained highly athletic until the week that I had my aortic valve replaced at age 53. It may not get any worse; on the other hand, it's possible that whatever led to your MV problem may also result in an eventual decline in your AV. But when? How old are you now? So, I'm saying, it's information you want to have, but it's not something to be losing sleep over because I don't believe your regurgitant AV presents an urgent medical issue.

Thanks Jeff, I'm 54 and male..I'm seeing him again to check out how I respond to lower bp medication...He didn't seem all that concerned but he did go over echo tests to compare...he said sometimes the MV leak overshadows aortic leak (not certain how he said that)...I was of course not happy hearing this...he reiterated it would not require surgery...which I found odd for him to say...he's a very very good doctor...I am seeing the surgeon again for a follow up...not sure why but just cause I guess...

I agree and clearly there is no pressing urgent medical problem with the aorta but of course after now two OHS's the last thing I am in the good for is to be thinking about a third...and all of my 'movies' seem to start the same way....ugh..

I have to focus on healing now anyway...heart will feel weird the next few weeks..I am off to a great recovery but i won't be surprised if it turns out I am human after all and have to adapt a bit during this time.

thank you for the response!

I have a friend who is a cardiologist...Here's what he just emailed me "Don't worry about mild aortic leaks, they're common and well tolerated."

that's good enough for me right now and no need to start going down a path of worrying...it's a bit of post op anxiety...I took my bp and it was 165/70...but that was over my shirt...took it again and it was 120/70...which just goes to show how anxious I am on some level!

Mentioned this aortic leak to the surgeon in first post op visit.

His response..."Non issue. period."

I'll take his word on it.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

Goes to show you needn't have worried!

But quit those push-ups and curl, would you? Get a million towels and iron them instead!

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!

Goes to show you needn't have worried!

But quit those push-ups and curl, would you? Get a million towels and iron them instead!

I think my cardiologist was just a little excited that he heard it and was happy he could go back to the earlier echo tests and compare the sounds..He did this right on his computer in front of me...Then he had to dash out as he was leaving work and I was left..thinking....oh boy...this is not good at all...Typical anxious scared recovering heart surgery patient....next time I'll wear headphones and stop asking questions!

ironing a million towels..I like it....reminds me of Karate Kid...lol

Latest posts

Back