Mild clicking in sternum

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiamF

It's six weeks since I had the plumbers in to do some remodelling and all is going far better that I could have hoped...

At the 4 week mark I had a follow-up and the surgeon was happy with me and wrote me down for a six month follow-up but I have a very gentle and occasional clicking in my sternum. It happens mostly when I'm sitting up (e.g when typing or being thrown around in the passenger seat of my daughter's car).

I just wonder if anyone else had similar experiences and at at what point should I start worrying about it. It doesn't hurt at all - just a mildly unpleasant sensation.

Any thoughts or experiences most welcome.

Liam

Does it cause you any pain?

I only ask, because I've had my surgery last month on the 7th, and it's been almost 5 weeks, but I felt an odd vibration/wheezing sensation at my lower rib area on the left side, which would often disappear as I slept on my right side.

I felt a clicking when I breathed in near the ribs, but both sensations aren't really there anymore, can't say I've noticed the wheezing sensation for a week.

Does it happen when you take in deep breaths?

clicking is about as common as "cracking your knunkles" and in my understanding a similar cartilage thing. Consider the anatomy and that the ribs do not connect directly to the sternum, its a joint.

have a read here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sternum#Development

and then consider that the whole thing just got a sort of "yoga stretching" you don't normally give it
:)

I've just gone 6 months and I hear a click but only when I'm walking in bare feet on concrete when my right foot strikes the ground, nothing I bother about in the least

Hi -

It doesn't hurt - just unpleasant in a cracking knuckles sort of way...

I tends to happen when I'm sitting upright or erect (i.e. not in an armchair) or when there is some sideways force or movement (my wonderful daughter at the steering wheel).

Thanks for your replies; its very reassuring. The wikipedia article is also helpful - thanks.

Latest posts

Back