Michaelka out of surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cardioversion

Cardioversion

Well I had my cardioversion. Yes I was out like a light. I did not even have that really unpleasant feeling of falling or whatever when they knocked me out.

The cardioversion put me into sinus-tach but only for the night. I am back in a-fib again. Drat.

Well it was worth the effort. I did have to go through the trans-esophogeal echocardiogram to make sure there were no clots before they zapped me and naturally I could not be sedated past 80% of my normal conscious level but I was able to handle it.

I will be going into the Virginia Mason Pain clinic for a pain pump implant for my ribs in the next few weeks it appears. That is an outpatient proceedure and should not be a major issue. Just a flap of skin and place the pump and the leads and hopefully my ribs will continue to stay pain free. Praise God!

Michael, you've really had an adventure this year, haven't you? I'm glad the cardioversion didn't hurt; sorry it didn't work.

It'll be a great thing to eliminate that rib pain - constant grinding pain is so deleterious to your health. I do hope you get total relief.

Good to hear from you again.

Cardioversion did not work but was out like a light

Cardioversion did not work but was out like a light

Well the cardioversion was sucessful for only one evening. They may try it later, but you are right, I was out like a light, and it not have any of those anoying "falling", or "smells" or anything.

In fact I do not even remember them putiing in the drugs to knock me out, I only remember waking up. The area where the cardioversion pads were placed was sore, but not burnt, like before.

The cardiologist had to a TEE before the cardioversion so it was not all fun and games, they could never give me enough drugs for that to be pleasant. In fact my cardiologist said that that amount of drugs that they gave me would probably kill him. At best I was only 20% sedated, which was better than the 175% hyper conscious level that I was going in. I was really worked up. At least the cardioversion was not a bad memory. The probe seemed bigger this time going down my throat. I felt like vomiting a few times while the probe was down there. I really had to hold it down. (Not easy this time). When the probe came up it seemed like those stories about "Alien experiments" on people. Not fun at all. They need smaller probes!

At least I was able to go home without this adding to my PTSD load. I am very thankful of that.

Thanks for all of the prayers out there. I will try to monitor this blog so as to let others know what is going on. My Mitral valve is doing well, I finally got my card with the serial number and part number that I was issued.
I finally broke down and paid for a Medic alert necklace and Medical Information USB device. I think that with as many issues as my body has, I really should be carrying one.

Rib pain

Rib pain

I saw the Pain docs at Virginia Mason last week. They decided that I was NOT a good candidate for a pain pump. As it is likely within 2-3 years the pain will become less, a permanant solution like a pain pump would be contraindicated.

Instead my pain meds are to be increased to work with the increased pain that I am starting to feel. I will be switched from oramorph to Methadone. Now I know that methadone is much more difficult to quit than oramorph. So I am a bit worried about that but it is a 24 hour timed release instead of a 12 so it might be better. It also is supposed to be less affecting of judgment. I hope so. I need to go back to work soon.

Thinking of you

Thinking of you

Michael -

Thinking of you and wishing you continued progress. Enjoy this beautiful spring weather as you recover.

Warm regards,

Kristine

I'm glad to see your update, Michael.
I hope you do well with the pain medication, and you're able to return to work shortly.
Please drop us a line every once in awhile so we'll know how you're doing.

Latest posts

Back