Michaelka out of surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad to see your post Michael, and I'm especially glad to hear they deadened the nerves in your rib area. That will make your recovery much easier.
Take it easy and post when you can.
Mary

So glad to hear from you, Michael. Sounds like you just had OHS - :D ;)
Your pain sounds tolerable (percocet is really great) and it sounds like your breathing and activity level is perfect even this early on. Hope it stays this way and you are out running a marathon soon.:eek:
Take care and hope to hear more soon.

Michael, hooray for you - sounds like you're doing well. Ribs are bones, sternum is cartilage - big difference pain-wise. And of course the ribs move every time you breathe. Just don't pick up anything heavier than 5# or do anything that pulls the sternum apart, and it won't hurt much. And never never sneeze.

Keep on truckin' - glad to hear from you.

Michael, you sound so good! I wish you a boring but rapid recovery.....
Teresa

Michael, keep up the good work. Things will get easier and easier each day. Hugs & prayers are coming your way.

Another day a bit stronger

Another day a bit stronger

Today I walked up and down three flights of stairs three times. My BP returned to normal within 5 minutes. My insurance has provided an automated Vital signs Honeywell system until it is no longer needed.
It tells me at a certain time during the day to stand on the scale and to have my BP and Pulse-Ox measured. Once it is measured it is transmitted via modem to the main office. Price tag $3500+ for the equipment. Price tag for a nurse to take vitals......... Well if you factor once per day / 4 times a week, these devices save money because when I am done with it, it gets sterilized and installed at the next patients home.

I am a bit stronger today but last night was rough. I think I was up about every hour or so. I am doing the required exercises but they are tiring. I am pretty sure I will sleep better tonight.
:p

Slight suiture infection

Slight suiture infection

I have had a little extra draininge than expected from one of my incision sites. I saw the doctor yesterday who opened the site up to let it drain easier. The doctor cultured the site so that she can determine if the antibiotics that I am currently on are effective toward this small infection.

I just need to keep it clean, pack it with gauze once per day and put a patch on it. (Actually my mom will help with this slightly gross task)

Otherwise, I was able to walk 2 blocks to my bank yesterday to make a deposit and back. My strength is improving, but I still have quite a way to go.

Today seems to be a good day.:D

Thanks again for the continuing prayers.

Another day a little better

Another day a little better

I went to my cardiologist yesterday and he was very pleased with the results.
The Cox-Maize proceedure did not return my heart rhythm to 100% non-Atrial Fib but it is better than it has been in over 15 years.

He did recommend a Cardioversion down the road. I explained that I was pretty skittish about that as the last time I had it done, I was FULLY awake.

NOT RECOMMENDED. I was supposed to be out but nope, I am resistant to a lot of the meds that are used to do this. He tried to re-assure me that the next time would be different. Since it is in the future, my cardiologist was willing to wait. I do not need to go back to his office for a month.

My mom is still having to pack the open incision after showering. I am going to be on antibiotics for another 4-5 weeks for both my infection and any residue of my sinus infection that gave me a fever and caused my surgery to be postponed.

I feel better though, and in retrospect I now recognize that I WAS having some symptoms of the Congestive heart failure, only I did not really recognize them. I did have some dizziness, I thought it was from low blood pressure and I was having some breathing issues which I just chalked up to a sedentary lifestyle. I have not had any of these issues since so they had to be caused by the heart issues.

That is all for today, more healing day by day and again your prayers have meant so much!

Thank you all!

Michael

Michael,

You sound like you are doing great for this close to your surgery. Walking two blocks is wonderful. I was still pretty shaky at this point.

Isn't it awesome to be feeling the good effects of the surgery this soon? The first time I walked down the hall at the hospital, I couldn't believe I wasn't getting out of breath.

Keep up the good work!

Arlene

Glad things are looking up for you. You might find that the Maze procedure actually will work better as time goes on. Your heart is still recovering so be patient.

3 weeks post surgery Wednesday!

3 weeks post surgery Wednesday!

Horray! Tomorrow I celebrate 3 weeks post Mitral Valve repair.

I am down to tylenol III's which seem to be working tolerably well for the pain. The Percosets were starting to cause itching again, (technically I am alergic, but was able to hold out for a week on them)
I am only taking 1 Tylenol III during the day. This is a lot less than what I needed before the surgery for my ribs alone! I am certainly doing better.

I was offline for awhile as I needed to get some additional prepaid AOL minutes. I have broadband at home and since I am still staying at my Mom's I am relegated to dialup. AOL now has "anonomous prepaid cards". Yes they are more expensive than a monthly service, but I have tried to get various companies to STOP service after I was done with it with limited sucess.

My open wound is healing. It is about 2mm wide, 2mm deep and about 5cm long. They are very happy about it as I went to the dr yesterday and the infection seems to be cleared up. I am still on antibiotics and the wound is expected to be fully closed in about 2 weeks. I will probably start driving at that point but not before. Stick shifts take extra work!

The I went to the Dr. yesterday and saw my surgeon who gave me a video of the entire heart proceedure. It is truly amazing what he did! Dr. Guyton, Thank you! I do have a Dacron ring around the valve so in adition to 3 screws in my left leg I am becoming more bionic all the time.

Well that is all for now. I will write more later. I really miss my broadband!

Dr. Guyton and my Cardiologist want to do a Cardioversion as I am still in A-Fib. I explained I am a bit skittish about that as the last one 20+ years ago still causes flashbacks as I was fully awake. I am sure it will be necessary but I am not thrilled about it.

6 weeks now

6 weeks now

:)
It has been 6 weeks now since my valve repair. Pshew!
I am going into the cardiologist that will set me up for a cardioversion (hopefully sooner rather than later) in hopes that I will get out of A-Fib. (Yes the Maze did not restore the correct beat)

I am very worried about the cardioversion as 20 years ago I had one and was awake through the entire 2 zaps. 240 and 320 Joules. (Not recommended)'
After the first blast, I tried to tell them to stop, but it was like being hit by a semi- I could not get a word out. (flashback city)

The pads they used gave me large 3rd degree burns in a UFO landing pattern on my front and on my back. They would not even give me tylenol for the pain it caused, they said "It should not hurt". Well I am sure it did not hurt THEM one bit!

So I will let you know how that works. I am skeptical that it will work, being in A-Fib for 20 years but it is worth the effort if I can get off the coumadin!

Michael,
I'm glad you're doing so well.
Regarding the cardioversion, it's been 20 years, so I'm sure they've made advancements in how they do the procedure. In addition, if you let them know of your previous awful experience, I would guess that they will make sure that it goes smoothly. It seems that they have done very well with you so far; hopefully it will continue.:)

Michael,

I agree with Mary. Make sure they KNOW about the previous experience. I am sure these things are done with good drugs in you these days.;) :D ;)

I will be thinking of you and sending prayers and good wishes.

Out of surgery

Out of surgery

Michael,

I'm glad to hear from you. I've been wondering where you were. I had to have a cardioversion after my first surgery in May and it was no big deal. I was out and had no burns. If I hadn't known in advance, I wouldn't have known I had it.

Good luck and good to hear from you,
Barbara

Michael,

I don't know anything at all about cardioversion, but I do want to let you know how sorry I am you're having to deal with this. Will keep you in my prayers.

Best wishes,
Arlene

Cardioversion

Cardioversion

I had a good chat with the cardiologist today.

Overall I am doing great. My scar has healed very well. There is still a nice straight red line from top to bottom of my chest, but oh well....It is a mark of going through something I wish others did not have to go through.

I am absolutely going to need the cardioversion. The slight risk of dying is offset by the far better gain of getting off of coumadin, or at worst no effect at all (which is about 50/50). The risk is worth it.

They will have to do a trans-esophogeal echo cardiogram again, and I asked to be a LOT more sedated this time. It was a bit anoying having the transducer bounce off the bottom of my stomache several times before they pulled it out. It was sheer.....I don't know....guts (bad pun) to keep from freeking out.

I was "assured" I would be much more sedated this time. OK we will see.
this will probably be another week or two for the procedures.

I will let you all know.

Don't worry

Don't worry

20 years ago they didn't have the Versed thing down and I remember having a
cardioversion 8 days after surgery. I barely closed my eyes after they put the paddles on me and BANG! - I thought someone had hit me with an oak
4x4. I used to do electrical work and got shocked all the time, but the cardioversion was much worse! When I had one 4 years later, just went to sleep and woke up in SR! It has been that way for the last 6 or so. You will be fine-GO FOR IT!:)

Latest posts

Back