Michaelka out of surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Karlynn

Michaelka's friend Al, just posted this on another thread. Thought I'd put it here so it was easier to see.
-------------------------------------------
Operation Successful - 3 Cheers for Michael!!!!

Michael went into surgery at 8:30 AM PDT at Virginia Mason hospital in Seattle. He came out of the operation at 1:30 PM. I talked with his mother, Mary, and she said he is already talking to the staff. He will be moved into a room tomorrow. I will try to talk to him then.

Keep your fingers crossed for his swift recovery.

Al F.

Karlynn,

Thanks for giving Michael his own thread. I missed seeing the post on the other one.
Glad to hear things are going so well. Prayers, of course, are continuing.

That's great news- thanks to Michael's friend for posting and to you for moving it Karylnn. We wish him an easy and uneventful recovery.

Good news!!!

Good news!!!

That sure is good news!!! I am so happy to hear that your surgery went well.I hope it keeps going that way. Take it easy...

another update

another update

Michael is out of the intensive care unit (ICU) and receiving visitors. I talked to him today and he is still having chest pain at this point. We will visit him soon to get more info.

Al F.

:) Great news for Michael !!! I had been quite concerned about his situation while I was recovering in hospital from my own surgery last week. He will be up and around in no time.:)

Al - Saw Michael in hospital

Al - Saw Michael in hospital

Michael is recovering quickly. He is practicing his breathing exercises. He will be moving into a nurse care facility tomorrow (Monday). He says to thank you for all your kind wishes for good health. :)

Please send him our best wishes for a speedy and uneventful recovery.

I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. Thanks for being the bearer of good news!:)

Al - Michael is resting at relative's home

Al - Michael is resting at relative's home

Michael went home in a taxi cab and is resting comfortably. I am going by his apartment to pick up his medications and clothes for his next couple of weeks.

Al - Michael is recovering at relative's home

Al - Michael is recovering at relative's home

Michael is still doing fine. I took some clothes, shaver and medications to him. He is able to get out of bed with the help of a wedge. He can get up and down in chairs. He says he feels "fidgety all the time". This causes him to constantly change his position by standing up and sitting down in different chairs. The exercise is good for him he says. His scar has over 30 stitches and is about 18" long from top to bottom. It looks very well done and Michael figures the sutures will fall out in the shower in the next couple of days. He says his heart is still not pumping properly yet but that will change over time.

Good to hear that Michael is out of the hospital if not yet "home". His heart will take a little time to get back to beating normally all the time. His being fidgety could be due to a medication or simply that he is feeling better some already and his body just wants to get moving. This is a great time for walking around (not to overdo of course).

Please give him our best and thanks for keeping us updated.

Al - Day 10 since surgery - Michael is recovering quickly

Al - Day 10 since surgery - Michael is recovering quickly

I brought Michael a phone modem cable and AOL disk so he can get on-line again soon hopefully. He has a visiting nurse every other day. He is in much brighter spirits and moving around much better now.

I will not be posting after 3/3/06. My wife and I are going to Vancouver Island, Canada starting Saturday for a weeks vacation. We are boaters.

Al, you've been an awfully good friend. Have a great vacation - love Vancouver Island. Wish I were tagging along.

Michael, it'll be great to hear from you again. So glad things are going well. Those first couple of weeks are pretty rough. Breathe, nap and walk and join us just as soon as you're able.

I am back and beginning to strengthen

I am back and beginning to strengthen

I may not be able to read other posts at this time as I am relegated to using dialup.
I had my open heart surgery Feb 22, 2006 at aproximatly 08:30

It was not a comfortable experience. Overall, I recommend that you avoid it if you can. I was released from the hospital on Feb 27. Apparantly my insurance decided that I did not medically need a skilled nursing facility for meals, help getting around etc.
So I was very fortunate that My mom was still in the area, and since Monday she has been cooking, helping me in so many ways as I am still moderatly weak from the surgery.
However I did walk up 3 flights of stairs, down three flights of stairs, and back up again today, so I AM improving.
I will write more as time permits. I am on dialup at this time (I had someone get me an AOL pre-paid startup kit so at least I can get email via dialup.

Right now my pain meds are pretty small. I am taking the equivelant of one Percoset every 4 hours, that is it. I can take up to 2, but I have only had to do that a few times since Monday.

Recovery is going well, Sleeping is still not something I am looking forward to yet. I wake up several times a night. Often I get very hungry (My appetite is great!) and eat an apple at 1am. I have to take a pain pill every 4 hours since I am not on a Fentnyl patch or long term pain med. I have been on both for one thing or another. This does work, but waking up every 4 hours for a pain pill is sort of anoying. It does beat the 2 hour pain shots in the critical care area though.

So I am thanking the Lord that I am recovering as fast as I am. Realistically I am pretty amazed that I am able to do as much as I can right now. I remember that when I broke my 13 ribs it was weeks before I was at this level of mobility.

Speaking of ribs, Dr. Guyton did deaden the nerves (temporarily - 6 months) in my rib area. It is definitly helping the lung reserve. I have already topped out on the incentive respiromiter (or whatever it is called) 2500 pretty much every time.

I still have some clear seepage from one of my suitures, and I will be going back Monday to have the Dr. look at it. She said that it was most likely the suitures that are being disolved. The drainage is mostly clear (a little blood but not much). Since there is no odor, I am not too worrried, and neither was the doctor.
My mom is changing the dressing twice a day and I have been able to shower every day or so.

I will send more tomorrow.

Thank you for all of your Prayers, They helped more than you know!

Michael

Back