Metoprolol. 50mg

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippylin

Hi, Happy Holidays..
I am in my 11th wk, after my AVR. I have written before about my complications.
Has anyone been on this drug. I am on it twice daily with Norvasc due to high blood pressure.
Any side affects. I wake up feeling sick daily.
Any feedback in this drug? Thanks again for your support .:biggrin2:

Hello !
There are many discussions on these forums regarding Metoprolol; try typing it in the search box on the upper right side of this page.

I was on the regular 2x daily version of Meto and it just wasn't working properly for me, i couldn't even make it through the night with a calm heart rate. My BP was fine though.
There is also an extended release version available in the U.S.
I've switched to another Beta Blocker and am having good results, but yes, it can make me very sluggish for an hour or so after I take it.
Good Luck

I'm on 25mg of Metoprolol, taken one half tablet 2 times daily. I am also on 2.5mg lisinopril. Others (on other threads) who have been on higher doses of Metoprolol have said that they did not notice side effects when they were eventually lowered to lower doses (like 25mg). I had AVR surgery 2 weeks ago. I dont think i notice any side effects. My heart rate is lowering and my BP is very low. I get dizzy standing up sometimes. I suppose that is the only side effect i feel from these meds. My cardio has me taking the lisinopril at lunch and the Metoprolol at breakfast & dinner, so that I am not taking them at same time. My cardio said that I will probably go off those meds in 3 months. Good luck!

I'm on Meto 2x per day at 25mg each dose. I also take Coversyl with it (ACE Inhibitor to help reduce the load on your heart). The only issues I have noticed are: (1) I get dizzy and have intense head rushes if I get up too quickly - especially if I get up from squatting down for a couple minutes (2) I get some coldness on my extremes like fingers and toes. These are known side effects. Everyone is different though - I have heard that 25mg 2x per day seems to be a good dose with less complications. People at higher doses have reported more issues.

I was on 50mg metoprolol for about a year.I felt exhausted. It was a sled of bricks that I dragged everywhere. I changed to Carvedilol and what a difference.I am not tired anymore.I can function again.

I am going to contact my cardio doc and ask to be changed to 25 mg instead of 50 twice daily. Thanks for your feedback
Happy Holidays

Sorry - I was away (not too far from you, Zippylin - we were in Boca). I have been taking metoprolol since my valve surgery in Feb. 2011. I started out with 100 mg/day (timed release tablet) for about a year. I was bloated, gained weight, had nasty digestive complications (can you say. . . gas!), constantly felt like I was towing that sled full of boulders, was physically OK but my exercise tolerance was not rebounding as it should have. After about a year, my cardio agreed to cut my dosage to 50 mg/day, and it made a great improvement. Six months later, we again cut dosage to 25 mg/day and I feel like a new man! I lost the bloat, the digestive problems, the weight, and I can now get my heart rate at least to 150 or so under exercise. Much better. I still have the cold hands and feet, but otherwise, much better.

I think you're on the right track - see if your cardio will reduce the dosage. If your heart rate stays in range and rhythm normal, and if your BP stays where you want it, you have a winner.

Hi, I was taken off my loopers so rand nor sac today. No more blood pressure mess. We will see what happens. Hopefully this will eliminate nagging symptoms. Hopeful. Thanks for the feedback

Just reading this thread. Is it usual to go on meds like Metoprolol after OHS ? Sounds awful :( Hope things get better soon for you Zippylin.

I was on 25mg of Atenolol 5 months b4 surgery. After OHS, I didn't need to take any meds aside from protonics to help stop potential stomach alcers! The reason I'm off the BB's is because my bp is on the low side (95/65). So, if you're BP is low like mine was, you won't need BB's. You may have slight Tachycardia (100 resting pulse) for a few months, but it's better than dealing with BB's. Either way, you'll have to wait and see how your heart reacts to getting touched, etc. Everyone is different.

I'm on Metoprolol 25mg twice a day and have no problems. Recovering from surgery when I was taking 50mg twice a day because I had Afib, I found that it can cause insomnia for me. So now I take one dose at bedtime so I'm asleep before it kicks in. Although I am recovered from surgery and haven't had Afib in some time, my Dr's still want me taking it long term. As I understand it, it's effect is more to slow the heart than to lower the blood pressure, and the thinking is that will take pressure off the Aorta and reduce the risk of another aneurysm.

Don is right on the target about why some of us must continue to take beta blockers after valve surgery. I, too, had afib after surgery and my cardio has said that although he is OK with reducing the dosage, he will probably keep me on a beta blocker for the long term. I guess as long as I can have a "normal" lifestyle in spite of the BB dosage, we can agree on it.

Thanks for all your support. Dropped to 25 mg twice daily. Feel somewhat better. Norvasc stopped. Waking up with high pulse between 105 and 120. Getting heart monitor for one day on Thursday.
We shall see.
I want to wish everyone a HEALtHY and happy New year..

Zippylin,

I'm about 8 weeks out, 50mg 2x daily. I was on propranolol before surgery and it took me from 145/90 to 115/70 and HR of 72 to 62 at rest. I had low BP (90/65) and high HR (100+) after surgery. Things were looking better until I went home where my HR went to 108 at rest and the surgeon upped me from 25mg to 50mg per dose... at least I didn't have to cut the pills in half anymore hah. My rest HR after taking the BB is in the mid to low 70s. Just before the dose I'm in the high 80s to low 90s. I'm sure my cardiologist will just say it'll take time to go down. I'm going to ask him when I see him on Monday if I can go back to propranolol since it seems to have a better track record for me, but I've heard from the cardio rehab nurses that metoprolol is largely considered more cardio-protecteive. It'll be interesting to hear what he says. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have a heart attack, but on the other hand my BP has gone back to 135/80 (prior to taking a dose of BB). I don't think the cardiologist will like that. I'll report back after the Dec 30.

As for side effects, I certainly am not having as poor a time with metoprolol (at the 50mgx2/daily) as some others have, thought I have the sleep issues. But it'd be interesting to see what life will be like with less or no metoprolol would be like now that I'm further out from the surgery and in rehab.

jyg

I was on it post OHS and was happy to get off it asap. It was making me sluggish and even light-headed at time, though, it was doing a great job at keeping my HR at around 70 when without it the HR was 90+. I started halfing the post-surgery doze as soon as I could and then a week or two later I was halfing it again. At 12.5 mg there was nothing to half and was taken off of it. Everything that I did I ran by my surgeon.

So I spoke with my cardiologist. For now his plan is to take me off the tartrate (short acting, 50mg b.i.d.) and onto the succinate (long acting, 100mg q.d.),. Maybe it'll even things out. He had no interest in putting me back on propranolol. Of course the day I went to see him my BP was normal and HR was 10 beats lower at rest. Just like when you take the car to the dealership, hah...

I'm on 100 mg Metroprolol post surgery. Pre-surgey, I was on 75mg of Metroprolol for about three months. I find the side effects to be one of the most ugly I've had. I've read the side effects on-line - I experience all of the common and many of the rare side effects. I'm sticking w/ the drug now during my recovery. I plan to discuss this w/ my cardio in a few months.

It does get a little better after being on a constant dose for a month or so. All in all, I understand that the side effects are not as bad as not taking the medication.

Take care.

Back