Mel's St. Paddy 10K

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodi

Almost perfect race day weather, except for a little more than a slight breeze, which actually felt good.
Left my house a little early and parked about a mile away from the start to make sure I got a decent warm up in. I tend to not warm up enough when I park near the start. This worked out pretty well.
Got to the start area picked up my number and hung out with my friends until the start. Course is basically flat except for two short hills that were one right after another at about mile 1.5. I had hoped to finish 1:02 – 1:04 and based on my training figured it was within my reach. My plan, such as it was, was to run 10:15 for the first 2 or 3 miles then try to pick up the pace and get down close to 10 minute paces; it never happened. My finish time was 1:06:11, a little disappointing. My splits were 9:51, 10:43 (those two hillis I mentioned) , 11:09, 11:01, 10:58,11:02, nice and consistent but I was working really hard to hold the pace.
Okay now for the excuses. I have two races I’m targeting, the Havasu Half on April 10 (planning 4:15-4:20) and San Diego Rock n Roll on June 6 (planning 4:45-4:55). I’m following a training plan for SD and it works well for the Havasu Half. My schedule for last week was 14 on Saturday (ran at 11:30 pace) followed by 7 on Sunday. It rained really hard on Sunday and decided to do a 1 hour ride on my bike trainer and push some bigger gears. I shifted the workouts for the rest of the week to give me Thur & Friday as rest days. Monday I ran 5 x 800s with an average pace of 9:50. Tuesday ran 4.2 miles and Wednesday ran a 5.2 tempo run with splits of 10:20, 9:58, 9:37, 9:46, 10:32. At mile 3 today my legs just felt like lead weights and I think, and hope, it was just from the two hard workouts earlier in the week.
My schedule for tomorrow is a 10 miler. YIKES!

Sounds like you left your best performance on the practice field. You might have been better off with lighter workouts the week before a race. While I wouldn't taper for shorter stuff like a 3 to 5 miles, anything longer than 5 calls for a few easy days leading up.

Jack's a bit right, your training was not leading up to a good 10k for you! You ran the 10k for fun, you are training for the San Diego RnR, so that is what is most important.

Latest posts

Back